Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Unity OpenXR support for Android runtimes other than Oculus?

Discussion in 'EditorXR' started by nfynt-zap, Jun 13, 2022.

1. nfynt-zap

nfynt-zap

The OpenXR documentation site states that the provider plugin should work with any external OpenXR runtime available on the system. While this seems to work on windows, I haven't had any luck with this on Android, where the method of runtime discovery is different (using ContentProvider) compared to standalone (JSON). I am trying to use Monado's android OpenXR runtime with installable broker on a regular device instead of Oculus.

Please find the android logcat text below for reference. Note that I am able to test the runtime with Khronos hello_xr application, so it's likely some configuration issue from Unity (if not limitation). Would appreciate if you can confirm on following:
    1. Whether or not it's possible to link to an external OpenXR runtime on Android (other than Oculus)?
    2. If so, then what's the configuration is like for in-process and out-of-process runtime?

Thanks,

2. carlospzlz

carlospzlz

Any updates on this?

3. nfynt-zap

nfynt-zap

4. timongentzsch

timongentzsch

Thanks for the extension package! This was exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately when I launched it on an android phone the openxr loader failed to detect the monado openxr runtime, even though its installed installed and linked by the broker (tested with the hello_xr sample application).
    Maybe you can share a bit more information about your setup. Thanks in advance!

5. illixr96

illixr96

I am facing the same issue. The app opened but did not connect to the monado runtime. Can you please share more details?

6. nfynt

nfynt

@illixr96
    It's been a while, but couple of things to check would:
    - Selecting the correct Monado runtime (i.e. in-process or out-process)
    - Android permissions and manifests merge after Unity build
    - Android API level and graphics API settings from Unity.

Can you open a Github issue here, with any console logs for the errors. I would rather be prompt in replies there.

7. smartplay

smartplay

can anyone give me the link of download of monado runtime for android

8. nfynt

nfynt

Maybe you can find some resources here.

iriguchi likes this.