Search Unity

Unity on Xamarin.form

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by MaximeVincent, May 23, 2018.

1. MaximeVincent

MaximeVincent

Hello everyone,

I am an intern developer in a small company and my boss tasked me to find a way to embed a unity app inside of a multiplatform Xamarin form app (it is a c# .NET based cross-platform tool).

I have made some research for solutions:

1)The most promising one at first was to host the unity app on a webpage and show it in a webview inside of the app except that unity WebGL is quite heavy and not really optimised for mobile browsers (and some browsers don't handle WebGL at all)

2)The second one was a bit shady, it was about modifying the unity package after a build into libraries used by the different platforms as a resource but it's only vaguely documented on Android and it doesn't work so well

3)The third and last one is some kind of a guess, I have seen it is possible to integrate unity inside of a UWP project by doing some build adjustments and setting the scripting backend to .NET. As Xamarin also uses the .NET standard I guessed that maybe it would work as it works inside a UWP project.

If anyone has embedded a Unity app in a Xamarin.forms app, done something similar or has an idea how to do so, I'd be happy to hear about your ideas and suggestions because I am sure there are better ways.

Thank you in advance for your help
    I would also like to apologize if I made any English mistake or if my post is too confusing.

2. m-dayz

m-dayz

Hi Maxime,

Do you have by any chance an update on this? I'm also interested in embedding a Unity app inside a Xamarin app but haven't found much to this end. I did find a way for you to embed a Unity app inside a Flutter app:

https://github.com/snowballdigital/flutter-unity-view-widget

If you've found a way to integrate Unity with Xamarin, please do share!