Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity on Windows 8?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CryNexus, Jan 21, 2013.

1. CryNexus

CryNexus

I am going to buy a new and much better computer, and I was wondering if the Unity 3d Engine is working on Windows 8?

2. IcyPeak

IcyPeak

It has worked flawlessly for me on Windows 8 Pro. I did an in-place upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium with the Win8 upgrade assistant ($15 after coupon), then installed the newest Unity version from the other day... all has been well :).

3. SevenBits

SevenBits

From what I've heard everything is good.

4. Jason210

Jason210

The only thing that bothers me is that desktop applications seem to be 2nd class citizens on Windows 8, and the future with that OS now seems to be the new UI (formerly known as Metro). Which would mean the desktop, the desktop API and desktop apps will be deprecated over the next few years.

5. IcyPeak

IcyPeak

That's not the case at all, and even in Windows 8 the only thing Metro does on a desktop is act as a full-screen start menu if you want it to. Windows 8 is a step towards making a unified OS that works well for desktops and tablets/convertibles, which is where a large amount of the industry sales are now, and will continue to be going in general. I don't see how anyone can think the desktop is a second-class citizen in Windows 8 though... it works almost identically to Windows 7, which was basically the same as Windows Vista post-SP1 once drivers were sorted out.

6. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Except this is a fundamentally terrible design decision. The reason interface designs vary from tablet to computer (and Windows tablet sales are a complete joke so this is even more of a boondoggle) is because they have fundamentally different input methods and use cases than one another.

7. IcyPeak

IcyPeak

That's why it's segmented off: Metro/new UI has apps, but on the desktop you can largely ignore them and use the traditional desktop. On a convertible tablet, you can use the desktop when in notebook-type mode, and when using it as a tablet, rely mostly on Metro. when on a tablet, you can rely on Metro. It's basically just an option to use either when you need.

Windows tablet sales were low because past Windows operating systems didn't have great tablet support or features: to get them to sell, Microsoft introduced Windows 8 with a lot of tablet goodies in addition to the standard desktop. It's chicken or the egg, and in this case, they needed to pick one, which they have. With Windows 8 having good software support for touch interfaces, tablets will start to (and already have begun to) sell better.

Windows 8 works very, very well, and switching between form factors with it is basically effortless as a user.

8. amit1532

amit1532

I actually think its much more easier like this. I just pin every app i use most of the time to the start menu and open it from there o-o my desktop is very clean now cause i never get there.

People seems to be anti metero, its not a downside of windows 8, its an add-on

9. landon912

landon912

I feel the same about the desktop apps, having to switch between apps and the desktop .exe's is very trouble some. But, Unity works great on Windows 8. :)

10. SevenBits

SevenBits

Hasn't this whole desktop vs Metro thing occurred here before?

11. DallonF

DallonF

Here and everywhere else.

12. SevenBits

SevenBits

Then why are we continuing this? Windows 8 sucks. Everyone knows it. Just move on.

13. EricJ13

EricJ13

I've had no problems with the Unity IDE or PC/Web builds of various projects on Windows 8 Pro (upgrade from Windows 7).

14. Jason210

Jason210

Well, if that's not the case what's Valve up in arms about and why have they released Steam for Linux?
    http://www.computerandvideogames.co...s-a-catastrophe-for-everyone-in-the-pc-space/

15. IcyPeak

IcyPeak

Windows 8 represents a threat to their business model by allowing another online store to buy stuff from, of course they're going to be raving about how awful it is ;). Simple business. As far as Linux, they're doing it for the same reasons Unity exports to Linux....

No, actually, it is a significant step forward for Windows, and for the desktop user has a lot of small improvements just as other prior versions have had over their predecessors. :)

16. chrisall76

chrisall76

Windows 8 is perfectly fine. Faster start speed, easy and fast way to find things (windows key + q is faster at finding something than windows 7's search). Start menu is simple, don't even need to touch it unless you want to quickly launch a pinned app.

17. giyomu

giyomu

just installed recently windows 8 on one of my PC and so far unity work without any problem for now..so windows8 and unity should be just fine..now I won't comment on how bad or not is windows 8 as , i guess was not the question of OP in first place :)

18. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Have been using win 8 for as long as i could (msdn subscriber). Unity works just fine on it including DX11 the ton of assets i own from the store.

19. Jason210

Jason210

I think it's more to do with a fear that the desktop and desktop applications will be deprecated in favour of the tiles interface, which means a closed and governed Microsoft store. You must have seen what happened to Microsoft Flight Simulator, and Flight. They did exactly the same thing with it. Got rid of the simulator, and brought out a closed Games for Windows version "Flight" that they intended to sell piecemeal, that no longer supported open third party development -- the very thing which had made the game so popular amongst aviation enthusiasts. As a result of the new conditions, whereby Microsoft would own and control all content, including the marketing of that content, no developers wanted to work with them on it, and after 5 months of poor reception, Microsoft pulled the plug. So that was a good thing killed off by misunderstanding both the users of that game and the developers who had produced so many excellent add-ons over the years.

That's your opinion, and for every positive opinion like that, I can find a negative one. Not because I want to bash it, but because I'm concerned about the direction in which games development is heading and I've spent a good deal of time following Windows 8 and what people are saying about it. What I see is a traditional Windows user base that is distinctly split in its reception for Windows 8. Complaints range from usability issues (multiple windows discontinued, lack of start menu, klunky, ugly design), to those I have already described about the apparent tendancy towards a closed and governed OS.

I work as an IT manager (games development is a hobby for me) and most people in my network of contacts are uncertain about Windows 8 and want to wait to see how things transpire with it in the future. If half the users are complaining about it, Microsoft may well change course yet again, when all enterprises want is stability. However, thuis kind of behaviour is normal when new operating systems come out.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  20. Devilbox-Games

Devilbox-Games

The vast majority of the highly negative opinions about Windows 8 are either from people who haven't actually used it and just read other people's complaints like it's gospel or from people who have barely used it with the prejudice that it sucks and actively refuse to use it with an open mind. The positive opinions are from those who have spent serious time using it with an open mind whether they initially thought it would be terrible (like I did) or not.

Multiple windows are not discontinued, the desktop side works just as well, if not better, than any previous version of Windows without limitation. The lack of the start menu may take some getting used to but it's not a big deal at all, if you spend five minutes configuring the start screen you can get pretty much all your regularly used software listed in your face instead of having to navigate clunky cascading menus or you can just hit the Windows key, type a few letters and hit enter just like on Windows 7, both work far better than I was expecting and it works great with multiple monitors (some images showing press windows key and click on photoshop) and is really smooth and responsive, not just on this modern i7 but also my 8 year old Athlon with just 2gb of ram. Windows 7 was almost unusable on that old piece of junk, Windows 8 has made it usable again. Some might think the tile-based side of it is klunky and ugly but you needn't spend more than a few seconds in it if you don't want to, even without the various hacks you can find around the net for it.

If you want performance and stability then Windows 8 certainly is the way to go as it really has improved on every aspect of those areas. As with any major revision to an OS, whether it be Windows, OSX, Ubuntu or whatever, there is a lot of changes to get used to and plenty of new stuff to learn, but change is not always bad and the "bad" aspects which people keep complaining loudly about are really insignificant compared to the vast improvements made to the operating system. I can't see MS ever cutting off the desktop side and forcing everyone to use the metro interface because, obviously, it's what they use for enterprise, development, etc. too. They're hardly going to cut off their nose to spite their face.

21. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Citation needed. I HAVE used it. I DID go in with an open mind. The tacked on Metro interface is an absolute nightmare, scattering things like configuration options across different control panels and adding nothing at all and acting in a detrimental fashion to the desktop experience because what they've done is the functional equivalent of porting a mobile game and just slapping on mouse controls where touch controls used to be.

22. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I like it, though Microsoft is just wanting my money to bad, like WTF, I paid them for my word then they lie and tell me that it won't work and I need to pay like $200 for a new copy when a new one is coming out soon, get off my back it works fine! the new one won't even open the files I need to GRRRRRRRR stupid Microsoft.

23. IcyPeak

IcyPeak

You can tell it is the case from the vast majority of negative comments about Windows 8, where a user's inexperience shows through very clearly. Obviously it's not the case for everyone (hence the reason I'm also wording it as "vast majority" and not all), but for the most part? Yep.

24. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

So basically you don't have any actual evidence and you're just assuming that your user experience matches everyone else's.

25. Devilbox-Games

Devilbox-Games

My "vast majority" comment comes from talking a LOT of people about it and, when asked if they had used it, they answer "of course not, it's crap, I just read about it here [insert a link to some blog spreading guff]" Sure, some people have legitimate reasons for disliking it but the vile hate for it is mostly from those who don't have any personal experience with it. Frankly, the fact you're saying they added nothing and it's a detriment to the desktop UI makes me believe that you got turned off by the metro start screen and haven't used it in much particular depth. There's a completely new desktop task manager, new more detailed copy/move/delete dialogues, integrated ISO mounting, better multi-monitor support in regards to task-bar backgrounds, Hyper-V virtualisation as standard and that's just to name a few new features which enhance desktop functionality. How long did you use it for?

I agree that's it's a bit annoying having the settings for the metro side of things only accessible from the metro interface and separate from the standard control panel, but it's hardly a big deal considering most of those settings are things you configure when you install and never touch again. If you login with a live account, you don't even have to configure them on each different computer you use as most of the settings sync across withing seconds of changing them.

26. DallonF

DallonF

Here's a quick guide to see if a Windows 8 hater has actually used Windows 8:

"It doesn't have a Start Menu!" - Hasn't used it for more than a few minutes. The Start Screen is functionally identical, with a couple of things having moved to other places (shutting down the computer, opening control panels, etc.)

"It's a great interface for tablets, but it's horrible with a mouse/keyboard." - Hasn't used it as their primary OS, but has probably played around with Metro apps. In reality, with a mouse/keyboard, you spend most of your time in the Desktop, which is designed for a mouse/keyboard setup and is basically the exact same interface as Windows 7, with the slight exception that the Start button is invisible and takes you to the Start Screen (which works quite nicely with a mouse and keyboard) instead of opening a Start Menu in the corner.

"Games don't work (or work well) on it!" - Hasn't used it, has only read blog posts. You'd be surprised how many of my friends think that Minecraft won't run on Windows 8 because Notch ranted about the Windows Store on his blog.

27. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Hell i play heroes of might and magic TWO (ok, it's only working so so) on win 8 64 bit! HOMM3 is working fine however :)
    Those are the 2 games for which i managed to get a PC when i was a kid, so yea, anything done in the last 15 years (minuts 16 bits programs) should work fine :)

28. Tanel

Tanel

This thread probably wasn't meant at all for this discussion but I guess I'll follow everyone else.

Most of what I wanted to say has been already said, about how it's not as bad as everyone says it is. I just wanted to add if you're looking to upgrade from Windows 7 and have to pay full price; it's not worth it. Totally worth it though for a 30€ upgrade price (don't know if that's possible anymore). You can use it mostly exactly the same as 7 with a few cool additions which were mentioned by Devilbox Games and better performance.

Regarding Unity, there's only one issue I've noticed: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/145246-Unity-and-Windows-8-64-bit

29. tigerfoot

tigerfoot

This war of opinions is without end. There will always be people for and against the Windows. It's completely useless to debate about that topic. Some people like it, some don't - period. Everyone will have their own reasons why they like certain feature... or don't.

I personally haven't tried it yet but I support Microsoft's idea for new UI. I like it, there's a lot of touchscreen PC's coming to market and this is a step forward. Also, this might be a good thing for less advanced users who need/want simple UI that will do most of the stuff they really need out of their PCs. As for advanced users, all that "advanced" stuff is still there!

You can't possibly satisfy each and every user of Windows, Android, iOS or whatever other industry giant. I could find plenty of good things for each of them but I could also spit on them so much that I would drown myself in it. So the key is to make the most out of the good stuff and learn how to cope with the bad stuff. The goal for each of them should be "advanced simplicity". Make it simple and yet make it advanced under the hood (plethora of options and possibilities). So that both normal and advanced users can benefit and enjoy their experience of certain product.

Most importantly, Unity works on Win8 which was the original topic of this thread and a simple "Yes, it works" or "No, it doesn't because of..." answer would have sufficed.

30. IcyPeak

IcyPeak

Quoted for truth and emphasis. And that is how I can tell, by the way, MarigoldFleur... from what they're saying I can tell very easily if they've really used it much or not, just like many other things in life :).

Tigerfoot, I answered it in the very first reply. As you said, there's not much else for anyone to talk about from there.

31. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

I feel like a parrot, repeating this over and over but here we go again:

Windows 8 biggest (and only IMO) issue in the desktop is the Start Screen that replaced the Start Menu. This is a HUGE issue, but one that you can work around with one of these.

The link will lead you to a collection of Start menu replacements that will get rid of the horrible Start Screen and restore, in various forms, the Start Menu. I recommend Start8 the most if you willing to pay, if you want free, I think Pokki (not VERY windows like but it's a very interesting take at the Start Menu.) If you want free, and as familiar as possible, then go with Classic Shell, but read the disclaimers in the article.

Once you install a Start Menu replacement and configure to booth directly to the desktop, Windows 8 becomes WAY more tolerable. Opening the occasional full screen app is no big deal either, real issue is simply being able to navigate your way through the computer via a classic explorer and Start Menu.

32. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

To be fair: the real answer is not that simple.

Real answer is:

Editor runs fine in Windows 8.
    You can build Win32 apps that will run in Windows 8 with Unity.
    You can not build Windows Market compliant builds with Unity, though.
    And by extension: No Windows Phone or Tablet building capabilities either (YET.)

Not saying any of the above is lying by omission.

33. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

The problem with this is that, in the end, it's still a third-party solution to a first-party problem.

34. IcyPeak

IcyPeak

Lying about what by omission? It was asked if Unity works in Windows 8. The answer is yes. Platforms Unity hasn't implemented yet has nothing to do with it.

35. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

I can say the same about Dropbox in my iPhone... actually, Dropbox is an even bigger issue for Apple than the Start Menu is for Microsoft right now.

I wont entirely let Microsoft go free on this, but I would not reformat my computer to go back to Win7 either if I can just install one of these things.

36. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

Whatever works for you. I'm just a humble poster, stating my point of view. I would have been very angry if not knowing better had I asked that same question and not been clarified on it. The OP was so short you cant tell if they realize the Market requirements.

In fact... I got angry when I realized I had to go through a lot of loops outside Unity to get my OSX build to be App Store compliant back when it was "newish"

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  37. IcyPeak

IcyPeak

I don't think he was asking about supported Unity platforms, but rather "Does the editor run on windows 8". Still, if he was asking that, the extra info doesn't hurt.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  38. SevenBits

SevenBits

Code (csharp):
    2. void askQuestion()
    3. {
    4.     if (place == Places.UnityForum)
    5.        debateIncessantlyAbout(Win8Desktop);
    6.     else
    7.        giveTerseAnswer();
    8. }
    Come on guys, the question has been answered ten times over.

39. Jason210

Jason210

I don't know how you can make a claim like that. I have seen some posts that look like trolls indeed, but I have also seen posts that look like they could be from shills. On Amazon.co.uk (the British version of Amazon.com), reviews of the low-priced upgrade are split with about 40% giving 5 stars, and 40% other giving one star. Then there's a few in between. I've found several five star reviews by people who have NEVER posted reviews before and whose reviews comprise two short lines of text - ideally optimised for mobile versions of the website! Now if that isn't evidence of shill activity, I don't know what is.

Of the negative reviews, these are people who have bought the OS and hated it. For whatever reason they hate it, the fact remains that this is their position on the matter, and the statistic produced is a valid statistic. I know personally people who have bought it and just given up with it after spending just a few frustrating hours.

Going on those social media metrics and statistics, it's clear that Windows 8 is not an overwhelming success. In addition we have key people speaking out against it like Notch, Newell and Wong. And however good Windows 8 may be under the hood, Microsoft have produced a high number share of flops in the past and have pulled the plug on many products in the past (Flight, Silverlight).

All things considered, it seems to me that the wisest course of action for enterprises and developers is caution (unless you just want to jump on the fart app bandwagon). It will be interesting to see who Windows 8 powered mobile devices fair against the iOS and Android competitors. If they don't do well, Microsoft might get rid of the Metro API. You just don't know what they are going to do next.

I agree that the bad aspects are not that bad, although a start menu would have just made using the desktop easier. My main worry is that Microsoft will constantly try to leverage Metro in favour of the desktop. They've tried this closed store approach many times before, for example with GFWL and games like "Flight". It would be disasterous if the OS itself became a closed and governed walled garden, so I hope your analysis is correct.

However, I definitely think that we shouldn't be putting all our eggs in one basket, and that Windows developers should also consider the Linux and OSX platforms.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  40. Lypheus

Lypheus

Just upgraded from Windows7 -> Windows8 on a new system 9MSI GS70) - Win8 is highly unstable for the unity3d editor - crashing repeatedly during multi-selects, certain inspectors and x2 clicking scripts to open VS2012 ... going to move back to Win7.

If you are considering the move, recommend you install Win8 and try it before making the move entirely, mileage may vary.

41. inafield

inafield

Windows clean install? What about the Unity upgrade? I've found that everything runs smoother when the Unity upgrade is done as a clean install.

I'm using an Asus G75VX and have experienced none of these issues.

42. minionnz

minionnz

Didn't know that was a shortcut for search (Windows+Q) - I usually just press the windows key and start typing, saves the "q" press :)
    I hated Windows 8 when I tried out the preview versions - but I gave it a chance when it was released, and I hate going back to Win7 now.. The old start menu now actually feels clunky and tacked on. If I click on the start menu, I am looking for an app or file - why waste all that screen space by showing a small menu on 1/4 of my screen? I now get a fullscreen "launcher" where everything is 2-3 keypresses away.

As for the metro apps - I don't mind them, some of them are useful (ie: PDF viewer, messaging) as they can be docked to the side of the main desktop screen - but I hardly use them. That's not because of the touch-focused interface though, it's simply because they're usually stripped down versions of their desktop counterparts. If an app comes along that actually does something really useful, I'll probably use it.

And I've had absolutely no problems with Unity on Windows 8.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013