Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity on Vista - a doomed endeavour?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Blearly, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Blearly

Blearly

That's right, I'm on Vista, and Unity v5.0.4f1 and above will simply not install, regardless of whether I download the small installer, the 64 bit installer or the 32 bit installer. I kinda wish a "vista is not supported" message would come up instead of the downloaded .exe simply not running, but hey. It is noted in system requirements so I can't grumble. The previous version archive takes the sting off: I have v5.0.3f2 installed and that works fine, as far as this novice can tell. Sweet.

So my questions are: how much is using v5.0.3f2 going to hinder me? I'm only a hobbyist, so I'm mainly concerned with issues that arise due to using a not-up-to-date version for tutorials. Should I downgrade to the first version of 5 available, stay with what works, or even go down to 4?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unity states clearly it isn't supported on the download page under system requirements.

They will not be supporting Vista in the future, or ever because:

Note: this is for development, not necessarily what it will run on. You really shouldn't be using vista - nobody should. It is out of date, riddled with security flaws and not properly supported by microsoft. If you really want to use Vista reliably, you might need to change what version of Unity you use, but I cannot advise there, it is up to you.

3. Blearly

Blearly

Sure, like I said in my post, "[the lack of Vista support] is noted in system requirements so I can't grumble". I'm fine with that - if my previous post came across as an angry rant then I apologise. I only put in the first paragraph as an explanation of why I'm not using the most recent version of Unity. I am not lobbying for Vista support.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yep sorry I was verbose in case other people stumble across the thread, so had to put the available info up.

5. Blearly

Blearly

Oh! I gotcha.

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

If you're restricted to Unity's free license then you won't want to go below 5 as you'll lose quite a lot of features. If you're going to downgrade anything I would simply downgrade Windows to XP SP2+ (or upgrade to Windows 7+). At least that way you can still use the latest releases of Unity.

Concerning the tutorials I believe most of them were made with Unity 4.6, but the differences are typically very minor.