Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

unity on the new xbox?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by freezingwreck, Mar 25, 2013.

1. freezingwreck

freezingwreck

2. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Well, the new xbox isn't out yet, is it? So we're a bit premature. I imagine Unity would want to get onto all the major consoles eventually.

3. khanstruct

khanstruct

And, apparently, Nintendo is lowering their own barrier to indies. It'll now be much easier for developers to get their games on the Wii U as well. XBox has always been a little better in that area, with XBLA, so I'm sure something will get worked out.

As far as Unity specifically, I'm sure they'll create a port for it. It only makes sense to keep up with the times.

4. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

IMO Unity is fast becoming the staple engine, soon it will take over the world.

5. zipper

zipper

Pure speculation on my part -> with Microsoft's recent dump of XNA, i just assumed Microsoft was moving over to Unity as there indie engine of choice.

Microsoft is too smart not to support indies, and the jump from XNA -> Unity is pretty easy.

6. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

Microsoft's Windows Everywhere strategy likely will result in Unity for WinRT working with the next Xbox.

This is just a guess, though.

7. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Microsoft is the console with the best accommodations for indies, so I would be surprised if Microsoft doesn't make a deal with UT to let one of the most popular indie engines in the world develop for the new console.

8. kablammyman

kablammyman

what makes you think that?

9. khanstruct

khanstruct

Well, there's the fact that its one of the most popular and widely used engines in the world. Even companies that use proprietary engines often use Unity for prototyping. You can't hardly apply for a job in the industry without being asked "Can you use Unity?"

10. kablammyman

kablammyman

interesting. i still see many games that boast that they are using unreal 4, but i guess you are right too.

11. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

Unreal is carrying a lot of cred from their first party games, like Gears of Wars.

You may say that unity carries a lot of bad cred from bad games done with the engine, but wait a bit, Unreals' opening of UDK, making it more accessible is already luring a lot of garbage games that all have the same shiny shaders all over the place. It may not be long before the engine loses it's cred and gets known as just another tool.

12. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I would like to see them somehow get on xbox360 it might be on its way out but still has 80 million consoles

13. burnpsy

burnpsy

They've had that for quite a while now, actually...