Search Unity

Unity on OSX x86?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taumel, Aug 13, 2005.

1. taumel

taumel

Hi,

has anyone tried out if Unity is running on the x86-Dev-Version of Tiger 10.4.1?

Greetings,

taumel

2. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

I can't speak for OTEE guys but I don't think so at this point unless they've built it all in the latest XCode version and recompiled the whole thing as a universal binary.

3. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Not yet... an acquaintance told us that Rosetta fails on in too. But x86 is not something that worries us much and I think we'll be happily supporting it long before they enter the market.

I hope you agree that right now it's not really an issue.

d.

4. taumel

taumel

Hi David,

no i just was curious if the betas already support fat/universal binaries. I dunno how much expense is behind for compiling these applications. If it's mainly setting the compiler-options plus a few tweaks here and there or if it's more work to be done due to little/big endian and so on.

Greetings,

taumel

5. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Since we have unity running on PC, endian is (pretty much) worked out.

The _real_ effort comes from moving Unity from CodeWarrior on to gcc 4.0

Gcc 4.0 appears to be FSF's way of getting revenge on anybody who ever thought of writing non-standards compliant code. Never before have I seen a compiler being such a bitch about stuff that works everywhere else (including all other gcc's)

Example: I have an internal project that builds all ShaderLab code as a small standalone app - getting that from gcc 3.3 to 4.0 took 2 days. And ShaderLab does NOT do anything even remotely complex (unlike, say the Unity serialization system).

6. taumel

taumel

Ok i understand but at least things should speed up if you get a feeling about what the compiler is bitching about. I remember such things when moving code from solaris to linux...

Greetings,

taumel