Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Unity on GNOME Linux distros (feature request) fully detach game window from dev kit.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by the_jaysaurus, Nov 24, 2021.

1. the_jaysaurus

the_jaysaurus

On modern Linux distros that use the GNOME UI (Ubuntu 20 being a highly common instance) we can create/switch-between an infinite number of screens on a single monitor by pressing ctrl+alt+up|down. we can even move windows between screens with ctrl+shift+alt+up|down and the active window will move a screen up or down respectively.

I really like to keep my game window as a standalone window when I'm developing, however, this can be a nuisance when I'm not at home with a second screen to hand. Normally, when I'm doing web dev, I keep a browser on one screen and my IDE and any other dev tools on other screens respectively. However, I can't seem to do this in Unity dev kit. Yes I can detach the game window from the main environment, but any time I try and move the game window (either with ctrl+S***+alt+up|down or via drag and drop) to a different "screen" in GNOME, it takes all of Unity dev kit with it. I've not dabbled in the GNOME API directly, but (judging by applications I've written with GNOME-friendly tool chains in the past) I would have thought it'd be a fairly quick (but hugely beneficial) job to completely detach child windows in Linux UIs so that they don't drag their parent windows with them.

It'd be an amazing fix, if this feature could be implemented for GNOME UIs. It's a popular UI and I'd be amazed if I was the only dev who uses Unity dev kit in this fashion.

thanks for your time

Jay

2. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Not sure why this is posted in the 2D forum.
    You will find more appropriate responses in the Linux forum.

MelvMay likes this.
  3. the_jaysaurus

the_jaysaurus

ah, apologies. I defer to my forum newbiness!

4. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

I have moved the thread there for you.

5. the_jaysaurus

the_jaysaurus

many thanks <3