Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Unity on Arch/Manjaro Linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by NunoDonato, Aug 26, 2015.

1. balbaroy

balbaroy

The new PKGBUILD is using a bit too much space: original .sh file and 3 copies of the archive contents: src/, pkg/ and unity-editor-*pkg.tar.

2. spacepluk

spacepluk

@balbaroy yeah, that's intentional to allow for quick rebuilds with makepkg -R until things settle down a little bit.

3. spacepluk

spacepluk

@balbaroy you can change from cp to mv if it really bothers you

4. balbaroy

balbaroy

Here is the log file for LD_DEBUG=libs /opt/Unity/Editor/Unity and this is without LD_DEBUG.

Same with LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/Unity/Editor/Data/Tools

Edit: Worked after unsetting GTK_IM_MODULE (=ibus)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  5. whatyouwant

whatyouwant

Had the same issue and unsetting GTK_IM_MODULE fixed it. Thanks for updating your post.

6. spacepluk

spacepluk

maybe we should do that in the launch script

7. fjalla

fjalla

Aye. Though we'd have to point the .desktops to it (point for me!).

Though it seems to me more of a workaround. Also, it's on the wiki.

8. LurkerInTheWires

LurkerInTheWires

As of the latest release, the editor isn't launching for me. I uninstalled and did a fresh reinstall using the pacman AUR. I've tried to manually launch using the "unity-editor" launcher in usr/bin, as well as manually from the executable.

9. spacepluk

spacepluk

10. LurkerInTheWires

LurkerInTheWires

No error message at the time, but the problem seems resolved. There was an update, a -2, when I checked right before bed. Checked it in the morning, and it fixed the lack of launch. After a little tooling around to look for any further problems, nothing's shown yet.

11. leonardkoenig

leonardkoenig

Yep Doctorjellyfish / Juraj fixed the problem, it seems that they now also depend on libpqxx.

12. fjalla

fjalla

Yeah, pushed it this morning, there was a single error when launching from the command line saying libpq was not found, so the fix was easy ;) Also it was mentioned in the release notes I think.

13. spacepluk

spacepluk

Yeah, I missed that in the release notes and I happen to have that library installed so I didn't notice. Time to setup a chroot :p

14. fjalla

fjalla

Or read the release notes ;)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  15. Fucken

Fucken

For me is working fine more or less.
    Installed the "unity-editor" package from yaourt and then moved the *.desktop files to my desktop.

Thanks for your work on the PKGBUILD !!

16. Merumeru

Merumeru

I get the same issue with the newest UnityEditor 5.1.0f3+2015090301-2 . It was working before, I don't think anything has changed.

17. spacepluk

spacepluk

@Merumeru that's weird. Maybe you updated your graphic drivers and forgot to reboot?

18. Merumeru

Merumeru

Rebooting doesn't fix it.

19. spacepluk

spacepluk

Can you post the output of ldd for both the editor and libcef?

Code (csharp):
    1. ldd /opt/Unity/Editor/Unity
    2. ldd /opt/Unity/libcef.so

20. Merumeru

Merumeru

1. ldd /opt/Unity/Editor/Unity
      Code (csharp):
    • ldd /opt/Unity/Editor/libcef.so
      Code (csharp):

21. spacepluk

spacepluk

The linker seems to be grabing some libraries from `/media/Makai/opt` instead of `/opt`. Is that ok?

22. Merumeru

Merumeru

There is a symlink pointing /opt to /media/Makai/opt

23. spacepluk

spacepluk

I see, do you see anything interesting in dmesg/journalctl when it happens?

24. spacepluk

spacepluk

Also, take a look at this if it's relevant.

25. LordArturito

LordArturito

26. Merumeru

Merumeru

Code (csharp):
    1. Sep 16 23:03:14 youmu kernel: ptrace of pid 4250 was attempted by: Unity (pid 4303)
    2. Sep 16 23:03:15 youmu kwin_x11[579]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 24012, resource id: 83886355, major cod
    3. e: 15 (QueryTree), minor code: 0
    4. Sep 16 23:03:15 youmu kwin_x11[579]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 24018, resource id: 83886303, major cod
    5. e: 42 (SetInputFocus), minor code: 0
    6. Sep 16 23:03:15 youmu kwin_x11[579]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 24022, resource id: 83886303, major cod
    7. e: 25 (SendEvent), minor code: 0
    8. Sep 16 23:03:15 youmu kwin_x11[579]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 24043, resource id: 83886303, major cod
    9. e: 15 (QueryTree), minor code: 0
    10. Sep 16 23:03:16 youmu kwin_x11[579]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 25476, resource id: 83886086, major cod
    11. e: 15 (QueryTree), minor code: 0
    12. Sep 16 23:03:16 youmu kwin_x11[579]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 25514, resource id: 83886103, major cod
    13. e: 18 (ChangeProperty), minor code: 0
    I'm starting to suspect it's something with plasma 5. It updated recently and Unity stopped working.

27. spacepluk

spacepluk

@Merumeru I've tried both with gnome and awesome and it's working fine. Have you tried another DE? if it fails there you can discard kwin/plasma as the root of the problem.

28. manau

manau

I've got the same error as @Merumeru on Arch using i3. So it's propably not a Plasma bug. I installed from AUR.

Journal:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Sep 29 19:23:28 themenwhostareatcodes kernel: ptrace of pid 2456 was attempted by: Unity (pid 2514)
    2. Sep 29 19:23:39 themenwhostareatcodes root[2523]: ACPI group/action undefined: thermal_zone / LNXTHERM:00
    3. Sep 29 19:24:09 themenwhostareatcodes root[2541]: ACPI group/action undefined: thermal_zone / LNXTHERM:00
    4. Sep 29 19:24:14 themenwhostareatcodes root[2545]: ACPI group/action undefined: thermal_zone / LNXTHERM:00
    So except from the ptrace nothing happens (except that my laptop gets warmer, as Unity freezes. Oh the irony.)

29. spacepluk

spacepluk

@Merrmeru @manau did you manage to get it working?

30. c0ffeeartc

c0ffeeartc

Hello, is there a fix for 100% cpu core load ?

31. fjalla

fjalla

No, not yet, but it seems to be generated by the game view, so you may want to try closing it temporarily and see if it helps.

32. c0ffeeartc

c0ffeeartc

Even after closing all subwindows core load persisted. It drops to ~20% though, when rapidly moving mouse above "game" view, ~30% "scene", "hierarchy" and "inspector" views, ~50% "project" view. Hitting "play" also drops to ~25%

33. richardoliverwood

richardoliverwood

:p oh wow didn't expect so many manjaro devs,

Really grateful who make Unity Editor for Linux happens :D I downloaded mine from yaourt -S unity-editor, working fine except 1 weird behavior when pressing the play button inside the editor, it keeps cutting it's window's height :p minor though,

34. Kazunekit

Kazunekit

@Merumeru @manau Try with unsetting XMODIFIERS, seems like it crashed with any input modification is set. Possibly it could mean that it won't work if QT_IM_MODULE is set as well

35. nidzola

nidzola

I just installed Unity3D on Arch linux from AUR, for now it's working great!

36. manau

manau

Neither of those environment variables are set. (I looked at my export output, and found nothing suspicious, and also checked with with grep -E ...
    Any other idea? It still freezes when opening a project

37. fatumlegion

fatumlegion

I'd just like to add, I've installed using the unity-editor package from the AUR without any issues. If you don't already have it, there's a good chance you will also need to install libpng12 as well.

Couldn't be more flawless and painless!

38. manau

manau

Oh my F***ing god! libpng12 fixed everything. Thanks a bunch!

39. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

I hate to bump an old thread, but after reading through this one, I'm not sure if I've seen anyone else with the problem I have, and I figured it would be a good idea to leave my question in a Manjaro/Arch themed thread

I'm a relatively new-ish Linux user, and I'm trying to get Unity working in Manjaro. I've gotten through a few issues on my own, but now I'm at a point where I can't seem to find anyone else who seems to have the problem I'm having

When I start Unity up, it makes it past the start screen and even the login screen, but when I make it to the part of the startup process where I need to either make a new project or load a previous one, whichever I do, it hangs.

And the thing is, it makes the project folder and everything, it just never makes it to the editor itself

Sorry if this solution has already been posted somewhere and I missed it, I'm just not 100% sure what I'm looking for

40. leonardkoenig

leonardkoenig

How did you install the editor? For Arch the recommended way for new users would be using the AUR.

There should be logs in

~/.config/unity3d/Editor.log

so best thing is to put them somewhere like pastebin and link us to it.

41. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Will this do?

42. leonardkoenig

leonardkoenig

Yes. You apperently run it through Virtualbox. It seems that there's a problem with that:
    Either you didn't install the driver (correctly), or Unity/GL can't correctly load it.

To install the drivers:
    Code (bash):
    1. # pacman -S virtualbox-guest-utils linux-headers --needed
    2. # systemctl enable vboxservice
    Also some questions:
    • How did you install Unity3d? It might be useful to know.
    • Which Desktop environment do you use? GDM (a display manager, the thing that handles graphical login etc.), is known to break Hardware-Acceleration in Virtualbox so this might be the case.

Anyway, if you use Arch through VBox you need to rely on their graphics drivers which *afaik* aren't too up to date with OpenGL. Better run it through real hardware.

43. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Well, I ran those commands and they didn't quite fix it

It was on the AUR, so I just installed it from there. I had to do some sort of thing that allowed me to temporarily make my tmp folder larger so that the install wouldn't fill the folder, but it seemed to work

I'm using XFCE for my desktop enviornment

Yeah, I'd love to run it through real hardware, I just have no hardware to spare at the moment, my other computer is just too old and barely runs ubuntu 12.04 and barely anything works on that, I was just kinda distro hopping seeing what distro I wanted to use for my next computer, and I thought maybe I could test how Unity worked in different distros, as that would be a major factor in determining what OS I wanted to use

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  44. leonardkoenig

leonardkoenig

hm, did you reboot afterwards? Because after installing graphics drivers this is needed.

That's good because he can basically rule out missing dependancies, as we've worked hard on finding them all ;-)

Hm, not sure which DM is used there in Arch by default (if any). I'm currently on mobile, will come up tomorrow today with something, kinda tired.

Well, the drivers are the same everywhere ;-)
    Surely its easier to try out in a VBox but for trying Unity I'd rather just repartition and use dualboot.

Regarding distros:
    I personally don't recommend Manjaro because it's "stability" is bought through basically just delaying (even security-critical!) updates:
    http://allanmcrae.com/2013/01/manjaro-linux-ignoring-security-for-stability/, although this has changed lately to the positive a bit http://allanmcrae.com/2015/02/improvements-on-manjaro-security-updates/

Still though, I know of some people calling Manjaro the "Arch for (normal) people". But then, one day, it eventually breaks. And Manjaro users don't know how to fix -- because they've not set up their system, they don't know it.
    Either go with a system that (hopefully) breaks less or run 'real' Arch -- it's worth it ;-)

If you know you use gdm as a display manager, try replacing it on your own if you feel confident enough. Tomorrow I'll see if I have more info.
    If nothing works it might be worth getting in contact with Unity devs directly.

45. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Yeah, I restarted just to be safe, I figured something like that would be the case

Yeah, reading through this thread seems to tell the tale of everyone's valient efforts to achieve this, which is pretty awesome

I've done some digging myself and it looks like this install came with LightDM? Honestly I have no idea what the difference is, is that good or bad?

Well, to give you an idea how old this thing is, it's an old HP running a single core Pentium 4 Processor with 1 gig of ram. It's actually dual booted with Ubuntu and Windows. I've thought about swapping the old HDD out with a new, proper install of Ubuntu 14.04 or something, but I have a feeling that that wouldn't really fix the situation. It handles my emails and LibreOffice documents well enough. But I suspect if I tried to run Unity on it, it might actually burst into flames

Yeah, I've heard some people say this. What got my attention about it is how wicked fast it is, and the idea of being able to install effectively any software that exists on any Linux distro because of the AUR, while also having that really nice look it has and being easy to install. I've also played around with Mint a little, but to me it feels like stuff runs better on Manjaro. I guess the idea of trying something user friendly outside of the Debian/Ubuntu world sounded appealing to me too. I like the Ubuntu family of distros from my experience, I guess I would just compare the experience of trying something outside the Ubuntu world like venturing out into the deep end of the pool for the first time, it's scary but oddly exhilarating.

That being said, if Manjaro is like the deep end, Arch to me feels like being about 10 miles off the coast into the atlantic ocean. Maybe when I have a little more experience running linux on some slightly more legit hardware, I'll look at Arch, but for now, I'm still in water wings when it comes to the Linux world

I have since sent them a bug report to see if that data comes in handy for them

46. AboveUnrefined

AboveUnrefined

@KnightsHouseGames I have a similar set up as yours (Arch with XFCE) and used the AUR to install unity-editor. I'm finding I can't have google-chrome running at all if I want to use the unity editor. I'm not sure if that provides any sort of clue to your problems but that's my present situation.

I really have no idea what's going on but chrome will start to run like garbage and the unity editor just starts to behave the same way; it's very bizarre and I don't know why the two would be stomping on top of each other like this. I can not have chrome running at all if I want to launch unity and get past the login part. If I launch chrome afterward everything just starts to fall apart- chrome will run like garbage and the unity editor will just start to totally crater out. Once I close the unity editor chrome behaves again. If anybody can help out with some direction on how I can provide additional detail I'd be happy to supply that. In the meantime I'll just have to use another browser while working with the unity editor.

47. leonardkoenig

leonardkoenig

Kind of good, kind of bad:
    • Good news: GDM can't be the issue ^^
    • Bad news: There's some other problem I currently have no idea how to fix o_O

If your PC is that bad I really think it'd be better using it natively -- at least you probably won't have much driver issues :p

@AboveUnrefined Unity uses the Chromium Embedded Framework (CEF) -- I could imagine that this might be part of the issue. OTOH I don't have this issue myself.

48. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Ha ha ha, at least we know one more thing it isn't, and I'd say thats some sort of progress

Well, the machine I'm running the Vbox from isn't bad, it's just it's a laptop where installing a second disk is impossible, and I currently need the present disk to stay as it is unfortunately.

I use Firefox on the virtual machine, and your problem would be nice to have, because then at least I'd be able to open the editor.

49. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Well, I booted up my Linux Mint Vbox just to see if maybe it was a Vbox spesific problem. I installed it without a hitch, had the black screen issue so many other people were having, fixed that, then got it to do the exact same thing it was doing on my Manjaro install

So I guess it is just a Vbox thing....Ah well. One day I'll have some hardware to test it on.

50. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I guess I could try cloning my "bare-metal" setup to a VM and see if the same thing happens. (Well, after I get it working first, would have to assign a spare day to do so for testing)