Search Unity

Bug Unity on Arch/Manjaro Linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by NunoDonato, Aug 26, 2015.

1. NunoDonato

NunoDonato

Hi all! Would other Manjaro users comment their experience?

I've downloaded the agnostic installer and everything went fine. Although upon running, it seems it hangs in the splash screen (no output clues in the console).
    Perhaps some dependency missing? I've checked pretty much everything and I dont find any of it missing...

2. haagch

haagch

I tried it on archlinux. It hangs on the splashscreen too. Running it with gdb and then interrupting with ctrl+c and getting a backtrace with bt shows this:

Code (csharp):
    1. #0  0x00007ffff576d35d in recvmsg () from /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0
    2. #1  0x00007ffff09b8244 in UnixDomainSocket::RecvMsgWithFlags(int, void*, unsigned long, int, ScopedVector<base::ScopedGeneric<int, base::internal::ScopedFDCloseTraits> >*, int*) ()
    3.    from /home/chris/oldhome/unitylinux/unity-editor-5.1.0f3/Editor/libcef.so
    4. #2  0x00007ffff14e4c84 in content::ReceiveFixedMessage(int, char const*, unsigned long, int*) () from /home/chris/oldhome/unitylinux/unity-editor-5.1.0f3/Editor/libcef.so
    5. #3  0x00007ffff14e6f28 in content::ZygoteHostImpl::Init(std::string const&) () from /home/chris/oldhome/unitylinux/unity-editor-5.1.0f3/Editor/libcef.so
    6. #4  0x00007ffff12373c7 in content::BrowserMainLoop::EarlyInitialization() () from /home/chris/oldhome/unitylinux/unity-editor-5.1.0f3/Editor/libcef.so
    7. #5  0x00007ffff123bd9b in content::BrowserMainRunnerImpl::Initialize(content::MainFunctionParams const&) () from /home/chris/oldhome/unitylinux/unity-editor-5.1.0f3/Editor/libcef.so
    8. #6  0x00007ffff08fa627 in CefMainDelegate::RunProcess(std::string const&, content::MainFunctionParams const&) () from /home/chris/oldhome/unitylinux/unity-editor-5.1.0f3/Editor/libcef.so
    9. #7  0x00007ffff316a1e5 in content::RunNamedProcessTypeMain(std::string const&, content::MainFunctionParams const&, content::ContentMainDelegate*) () from /home/chris/oldhome/unitylinux/unity-editor-5.1.0f3/Editor/libcef.so
    10. #8  0x00007ffff316a2fc in content::ContentMainRunnerImpl::Run() () from /home/chris/oldhome/unitylinux/unity-editor-5.1.0f3/Editor/libcef.so
    11. #9  0x00007ffff08abe00 in CefContext::Initialize(CefMainArgs const&, CefStructBase<CefSettingsTraits> const&, CefRefPtr<CefApp>, void*, bool) () from /home/chris/oldhome/unitylinux/unity-editor-5.1.0f3/Editor/libcef.so
    12. #10 0x00007ffff08ac204 in CefInitialize(CefMainArgs const&, CefStructBase<CefSettingsTraits> const&, CefRefPtr<CefApp>, void*, bool) () from /home/chris/oldhome/unitylinux/unity-editor-5.1.0f3/Editor/libcef.so
    13. #11 0x00007ffff0853e7f in cef_initialize () from /home/chris/oldhome/unitylinux/unity-editor-5.1.0f3/Editor/libcef.so
    14. #12 0x00000000026c4fac in CefInitialize(CefMainArgs const&, CefStructBase<CefSettingsTraits> const&, CefRefPtr<CefApp>, void*, bool) ()
    15. #13 0x00000000010c5054 in CefInstance::Init ()
    16. #14 0x0000000001337569 in WebViewWindow::Initialize ()
    17. #15 0x000000000134945b in NativeWebViewWindow::InitializeAndExitOnFailure ()
    18. #16 0x000000000125c650 in HomeWindow::Show ()
    19. #17 0x00000000011effc4 in Application::InitializeProject ()
    20. #18 0x00000000013ae067 in InitializeUnity ()
    21. #19 0x00007ffff6ba03a3 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
    22. #20 0x00007ffff6b9f90d in g_main_context_dispatch () from /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
    23. #21 0x00007ffff6b9fce0 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
    24. #22 0x00007ffff6ba0002 in g_main_loop_run () from /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
    25. #23 0x00007ffff78c8467 in gtk_main () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
    26. #24 0x00000000004b371c in main ()
    It's waiting in libcef for some message from a socket while initializing some WebViewWindow...

You can try returning the CEFInstance::Init prematurely with
    Code (csharp):
    1. (gdb) frame 13
    2. #13 0x00000000010c5054 in CefInstance::Init ()
    3. (gdb) return
    4. Make CefInstance::Init() return now? (y or n) y
    5. #0  0x0000000001337569 in WebViewWindow::Initialize ()
    6. (gdb) c
    This will bring up the unity main window (I think, because the title is Unity 5.1.0f3), but it only displays an empty background. Maybet hat's because I didn't let the webview initialize properly... So maybe don't try that.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  3. NunoDonato

NunoDonato

Same here!
    I found out there is an Editor.log file in ~/.config/unity3d
    The last line shows

execv failed: No such file or directory

although it doesn't specify which file it failed to execute...

4. NunoDonato

NunoDonato

That last message gave me a clue. I moved the unity folder outside my downloads folder and now it goes past the splash. Seems to be its because of a localized character (çê) in the my downloads folder name

5. haagch

haagch

Oh right, a log file.

Code (csharp):
    1. CreateDirectory '/home/chris/.local/share/unity3d/Unity' failed:
    2. The setuid sandbox is not running as root. Common causes:
    3.   * An unprivileged process using ptrace on it, like a debugger.
    4.   * A parent process set prctl(PR_SET_NO_NEW_PRIVS, ...)
    5. Failed to move to new namespace: PID namespaces supported, Network namespace supported, but failed: errno = Operation not permitted
    Something with suid not working at the place where the chrome sandbox was.

So I moved it to /opt/Unity/ (so that the editor is in /opt/Unity/Editor/Unity) and now it starts. Hangs on "Connecting" though.

Edit: Killed it and tried again and now the login window comes up. But trying to login only produces the message "Service not available, please try again later".

Code (csharp):
    1. [CEF] Service not available, please try again later.  in file:///%2Fopt%2FUnity%2FEditor%2FData%2FResources%2FHome/src/pn-login/login.js at line 96
    2. [CEF] Service not available, please try again later.  in file:///%2Fopt%2FUnity%2FEditor%2FData%2FResources%2FHome/src/pn-login/login.js at line 96
    3. [CEF] Service not available, please try again later.  in file:///%2Fopt%2FUnity%2FEditor%2FData%2FResources%2FHome/src/pn-login/login.js at line 96

6. Tak

Tak

Argh - can you post the path where you had the issue?

7. Nibodhika

Nibodhika

Ok, same thing happened here and the Editor.log said:

So I went there and /home/nibodhika/.local/share/unity3d/ didn't exist, I created it ran again and fixed. Probably they are running mkdir instead of mkdir -p

Edit: I also got stuck on the login screen, it seems the problem is somewhere in unity-editor-5.1.0f3/Editor/Data/Resources/Home/src/services/auth.js the login function is returning an error with status 0, so the url is returning an empty data.... will investigate further.

Oh, also it's worth noting that I'm on Arch, so probably all Arch based distros are experiencing this problem.

8. NunoDonato

NunoDonato

was
    /home/nuno/Transferências
    moved it to /home/nuno and the problem was solved. Now I'm getting the "service not available" issue.

9. spacepluk

spacepluk

It didn't hang for me on arch but I can't get past the service not available even after creating ~/.local/share/unity3d/Unity

10. haagch

haagch

Apparently in angular you have to use catch() instead of error() to get an error message for http.post(). But it seems that statusText is "" anyway and status is 0. And apparently that means, that the CORS stuff fails. But for some users it works, so it can't be on the server side...

At least
    Code (csharp):
    1. curl -v -H "Content-Type: application/json" -X POST -d '{"grant_type": "password", "username": "MYEMAIL", "password": "MYPASSWORD"}' https://core.cloud.unity3d.com/api/login
    Seems to work fine.

I saw http://stackoverflow.com/a/28496017 and tried
    Code (csharp):
    2.     var a = angular.module('unity.services.auth', ['unity.services.config', 'unity.services.cookie']);
    3.         a.config(['$httpProvider', function($httpProvider) {
    4.                 $httpProvider.defaults.useXDomain = true;
    5.                 delete $httpProvider.defaults.headers.common['X-Requested-With'];
    6.             }
    7.         ])
    in auth.js but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Someone who knows anything about angular and javascript might want to look at that...

Edit: Maybe discuss this issue at http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/service-not-available.350332/

11. spacepluk

spacepluk

I was just checking on that, using catch instead of error doesn't seem to make a difference. It's calling error with status=0 for some reason.

12. Nibodhika

Nibodhika

Yup, that works for me as well, and I tried sending all those parameters to the deferred.reject to see them in the GUI and they all seem correct.... so No idea what is happening... But this seems like an arch specific thing

13. Nibodhika

Nibodhika

Ok, I managed to bypass the Singin by running

Code (CSharp):
    1. curl -v -H "Content-Type: application/json" -X POST -d '{"grant_type": "password", "username": "MYEMAIL", "password": "MYPASSWORD"}' https://core.cloud.unity3d.com/api/login
    and

Code (CSharp):
    1. curl -v -H "AUTHORIZATION: Bearer <access_token you got from the previous command>" -H "Content-Type: application/json" -X GET https://core.cloud.unity3d.com/api/users/me
    Opening a server and responding with those responses to the /api requests and directing the requests in auth.js to my server.... But it's useless because now I'm stuck in the updating license thing... and I guess I could do the same, but this is a pointless exercice, it's more usefull to discover why this is happening.

14. spacepluk

spacepluk

15. spacepluk

spacepluk

hmm, I'm not sure maybe all network requests are failing. I edited the index.html and added an iframe pointing to google.com and that doesn't work either.

16. Nibodhika

Nibodhika

Ok, found what's causing this: chrome-sandbox is not allowing the request to pass forward because of security reasons. I created a login screen in an angularjs app and got the same error, after running this on a chromium with --disable-web-security it managed to get an answer. It seems the unity server does not have CORS support... It's strange that this is not happening on other distros.

Anyone knows the equivalent of --disable-web-security for chrome-sandbox?

17. leonardkoenig

leonardkoenig

For me it's completely working but a friend of mine reported Service not available too.
    Both on Arch.

18. jenrik

jenrik

I tried running running wireshark in a attempt see what the CORS headers are set to, but their doesn't appear to come any thing through. Is it failing before it even tries to reaches the internet?

19. Nibodhika

Nibodhika

What are the differences in the systems? Are you or is he a web developer? do you have different versions of something installed? If we know it's not arch related but rather a given package version (or package installed) we might get closer to find a workaround

20. leonardkoenig

leonardkoenig

I cannot reach him today anymore, he is quite busy. We are both up2date though.
    I can ask him for a list of packages that are installed though and diff them. Also I told him to make sure he has all dependencies installed that are listed in the forum.

While that, I also created a PKGBUILD that should give you a working setup as it adds all dependencies that I have installed too (and are linked again):
    https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/unity-editor/

I have not actually tested developing with unity though, neither have I done webdevelopment (nor he has), so this might be incomplete or partly wrong/too strict in terms of dependencies. Feedback welcome!

Glanzer likes this.
  21. gdebure

gdebure

Code (shell):
    1. sudo aura -A unity-editor
    in progress, will keep you updated :)

22. Nibodhika

Nibodhika

Ok, but yours is working, so lets check differences between your system and mine. I just installed all the dependencies you listed in your pkgbuild (I had some missing) but still same error. This is my ldd on the Unity executable, check if it matches or send me yours http://pastebin.com/v2JnA66P

23. leonardkoenig

leonardkoenig

mine is here: http://pastebin.com/z1Caiyv4

I just strapped the last part (the address) and compared the rest: matching. Maybe my bash-fu failed me though.

24. haagch

haagch

Does any of you with the problem have Chrome and/or Chromium (or any other program that is using the chrome sandbox) running?

Because when I closed chromium it started working for me.

SystemShocker likes this.
  25. leonardkoenig

leonardkoenig

I'm using chromium-continuous-bin and it works fine o_O - but it's using a different path as the default.

26. Nibodhika

Nibodhika

I was using vivaldi which is based on chromium. Closed it, made no difference. I'm on firefox now to avoid conflicts.

27. Nibodhika

Nibodhika

It failed you, these are very different, for starters mine is linking to 104 things yours to 91. A quick look showed me a few different things, for instance mine is linking with libX11-xcb yours is not, on the other hand yours is linking with some nvidia stuff...

Mine is linking to this that yours is not:
    libXxf86vm.so.1
    libdrm.so.2
    libgbm.so.1
    libglapi.so.0
    libxcb-shape.so.0
    libxcb-sync.so.1
    libxcb-xfixes.so.0
    libxshmfence.so.1

And yours is linking to this that mine is not:
    libnvidia-glcore.so.352.30
    libnvidia-glsi.so.352.30
    libnvidia-tls.so.352.30

28. leonardkoenig

leonardkoenig

oops, I think I edited both, but accidently wrote the same thing to both files >.<

well, the nvidia stuff is just because I use the nvidia proprietary drivers, so I links to their GL implementation instead of the mesa one.

The different dependencies seem to be irrelevant - xorg and GL stuff should not change the behavior.

Will be doing some more reasearch, but I'm awake for too long now and will eventually not be able to be productive ^^

EDIT:
    And I updated the PKGBUILD with the dependencies from the forum post, so I hope they are 'better' now.

29. Nibodhika

Nibodhika

Yeah, it didn't seem relevant either... I also ran it with my nvidia and the differences were few... but this seems to be related with the version of chrome that is running/installed... I'll try some more things later after I get home.

30. spacepluk

spacepluk

hmm, at least we know that it can work without changes in unity. @leonardkoenig would you mind posting the output of `pacman -Q` so we can compare with ours?

31. tkoole

tkoole

32. spacepluk

spacepluk

yeah I know, ldd doesn't tell you the versions though.

33. leonardkoenig

leonardkoenig

Well, mine are all up2date ;-)

Anyway, as it seems to be (a bit) related to chromium, maybe we should do some kind of a poll:

Does it work for you?:
    Do you have chromium/chrome installed? Which package(s)?:
    Do you have installed all packages listed as dependencies in the unity-editor package?:

For me:
    Does it work for you?: yes
    Do you have chromium/chrome installed? Which package(s)?: chromium-continuous-bin, google-chrome
    Do you have installed all packages listed as dependencies in the unity-editor package?: yes

Another thing:

I had many chromium/chrome versions installed, once. Maybe one of their dependencies is in fact important. So I just hammered together a list of all their dependencies (they are redundant, badly formatted etc. but nvm), so you could test against those:

Code (bash):
    1. wget http://termbin.com/3rkk && pacman -S --needed --asdeps $(cat 3rkk)
    Maybe it's one of these, but just a shot in the dark.

34. NunoDonato

NunoDonato

Does it work for you?: no
    Do you have chromium/chrome installed? Which package(s)?: chromium chromium-pepper-flash
    Do you have installed all packages listed as dependencies in the unity-editor package?: yes

Edit: given the differences between my packages and the ones from @leonardkoenig I tried removing mine and installing the same as his. No success. (just in case anyone thinks that might be the reason)

35. spacepluk

spacepluk

I'm up to date too, I even had some packages from testing (downgraded and it didn't make a difference). This is my `pacman -Q` if you want to take a look (http://sprunge.us/MFeW).

google-chrome google-chrome-beta
    Do you have installed all packages listed as dependencies in the unity-editor package?:
    yes

36. Nibodhika

Nibodhika

Do you have chromium/chrome installed? Which package(s)?: chromium google-chrome vivaldi

Note that this is for the machine at my work where I was testing so far. I have just arrived home and I'm downloading to test in my personal computer, which only has vivaldi installed.

Edit: Machine at home same problem.

37. haagch

haagch

I had chromium and google-chrome-dev installed and running when it didn't work. I was also in university and connected to a VPN.

Then I went home and unfortunately I didn't try it in the same configuration. But I closed chromium and google-chrome-dev and started unity again and this time I was able to log in without issue. Unity now continues to start without issue whatever I do.

I'm not sure if there is any influence from other chrome-sandbox processes. It was just a theory I had...

38. Arial7

Arial7

I compared my ldd to leonardokoenig's and it is basically the same (the Xorg / nvidia stuff is different) too.

Do you have chromium/chrome installed? which package(s)?: chromium (44) chromium-pepper-flash (1:17)
    Do you have installed all packages listed as dependencies in the unity-editor package?: yes, checked 2 times

also closing chrome did not help unfortunatedly

39. gdebure

gdebure

OK, using the PKGBUILD from @leonardkoenig works for me (thanks:) :) :) )

Does it work for you?: yes
    Do you have chromium/chrome installed? Which package(s)?:chromium 44.0.2403.157-1 (but firefox is my default browser) chromium-pepper-flash 1:18.0.0.233-1
    Do you have installed all packages listed as dependencies in the unity-editor package?: used the PKGBUILD (first iteration)

But two remarks :
    1. as others mentionned, I had to kill the connection window on first attempt, it would never end. Second attempt was successful
    2. one of my 4 CPU cores is permanently busy on the unity process
    Also, this not a production machine, it's an office laptop with intel low-end graphics card, so unsure how much testing I will be able to do due to low performances :(

40. leonardkoenig

leonardkoenig

no problem ;-)

The newer ones just removed transitive and unneccessary dependencies (I hope) and add some fancy stuff (optional deps, etc.)

Either way, it always worked for me on any iteration, so there should be no difference.

I did not need to kill the connection ever o_O - it just worked straight ootb for me.
    The CPU Core being permanently busy is probably just due to low-spec. On my Xeon it ain't the case at least :D

EDIT:
    Hint, for all those that might want to update often for now and want to skip extracting all the time:
    Just make a backup of the directory *before* the PKGBUILD runs (ie. extract manually) so that you can just copy it over.

The seconf big waiting time is when the package gets compressed. Just use:
    PKGEXT=pkg.tar makepkg
    to skip this part, as when you instantly install it there's no need for compression.

41. SwePopper

SwePopper

I bugged myself in to the activation screen by changing the Unity/Editor/Data/Resources/Home/src/app/js/app.js file.
    I changed the last rows to:

/*if (ENABLE_CLOUD_SERVICES) {
    if (error.licenseError === true) {
    $state.go('error', null, {location: false});
    }
    if (error.authenticated === false) {
    $window.unityApi.showLogin();
    $state.go('login');
    }
    if (error.licensed === false) {
    $state.go('license');
    }
    }*/
    $state.go('manual');

so instead of the login screen I will de redirected to a manual license activation screen.

Hope this will help others.

micael-dias likes this.
  42. micael-dias

micael-dias

I have a machine where I was getting this problem. Your solution helped but then it got stuck on the manual activation screen and I had to quit the app and re-run Unity to be able to use it, but it worked :)

Just replacing "$state.go('license');" with "$state.go('manual');" seems to work too.

43. spacepluk

spacepluk

44. Nibodhika

Nibodhika

Yes! Thank you, this worked! I had to restart unity a couple of times but I was able to create a project and I`m now in the editor

45. unityuser1324235141

unityuser1324235141

I have it working now. I'll summarize what I did in case someone finds this information useful.

I installed the aur package that was posted (yaourt -S unity-editor). You may need to change your /etc/yaourtrc and edit the TMPDIR variable in order to not get a disk space error when building it.

Follow what the other guys suggested with modifying your Unity/Editor/Data/Resources/Home/src/app/js/app.js file and replace the "$state.go('license');" at the bottom with "$state.go('manual');".

By this point Unity should be runnable (./opt/Unity/Editor/Unity) and bring you to the license page.

Click the "save license" button and save the file somewhere. Upload it to https://license.unity3d.com/manual and follow the steps to download your license, and then use the other button in Unity to open this .ulf which should activate it. Then if I remember correctly you have to log in, which brings you to the create project page.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  46. balbaroy

balbaroy

Unity crashes when loading a project with the following error in Editor.log
    (Arch Linux user on KDE5 with Intel GPU, installed all dependencies)

47. luksamuk

luksamuk

This worked for me, thanks.
    However, I still can't login.

Edit: I can still edit my projects offline, though. But I cannot login.

48. bobbaluba

bobbaluba

You can also just disconnect from the internet, and you can go to the offline activation page. No need to edit the app.js file

49. manoma080

manoma080

Thx for the workaround, however Unity itself still have trouble connecting to the internet, as I have a game utilizing network connection, thus running the game inside Unity Editor is not possible

50. sankasan

sankasan

I just downloaded the .sh file and installed it in: /opt/Unity/unity-editor-5.1.0f3
    I modified the given unity-editor.desktop so it points to the right location and placed it in: ~/.local/share/applications

I have not experienced any of these network issues as described here and have been able to create a project and run it in the editor. Just a quick check in the train though.. didn't do too much (yet)

Does it work for you?:
    yes

chromium 44.0.2403.157-1
    chromium-pepper-flash 1:18.0.0.233-1

Haven't used the PKGBUILD