Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity office in San Francisco!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by David-Helgason, Dec 11, 2006.

1. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

We have the pleasure to announce that a) we're opening a one-man office in San Francisco, and b) that it'll be run by Tom Higgins, who until recently was Product Manager of Macromedia Director!

Tom joined the Unity team a few days ago, and is spending most of December at Unity HQ. His blog is to be found at http://unity3d.com/blogs/tom/, as well as contact info about how to reach him. His job title is Product Evangelist, but his role will not just be evangelizing: he'll work on tutorial material, he'll present at conferences, and be another friendly voice in our forum.

We hope that this will bring Unity to a new level, and that it'll make it easier to stay in touch with the US developer communities. Please give Tom a warm welcome!

d.

2. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Welcome aboard Tom!

3. pete

pete

well hey... a warm welcome, tom!

4. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Thanks folks, especially to the guys here at OTEE for taking me on board. I managed to enjoy a few months break between jobs, enough to get rested and ready to take on all things Unity related with full force! :D As I said in that initial blog post you'll have to forgive me for being the noob for a while, I'm just getting started with Unity. But man oh man is it a great program to work with, yowza!!!

Cheers,
    Tom Higgins - Product Evangelist

5. Macupuncture

Macupuncture

Hey, Tom. Welcome.
    Is there anything you would like from us to do your job better (which is better for all of us in the long run)?
    What's your view of what should be happening with Unity in the future?

Mark

6. drJones

drJones

welcome tom, Unity is a good place to be ; )

looks like you have alot of various talents to offer, and i'm excited OTEE is expanding. good luck again welcome aboard!

7. tsphillips

tsphillips

Huzzah!

(And bonus points for being another Tom. :wink: )

8. Marble

Marble

What a coup! Congratulations to OTEE and to Tom!

It's always so satisfying to see a good thing get the attention it deserves.

9. nafonso

nafonso

Welcome aboard Tom!

10. littlelingo

littlelingo

Hiya Tom!

Good to see a familiar face! Welcome aboard and glad to see you are a part of the OTEE team!

Regards,

-- Clint

11. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Figures I now don't live in SFO to drop by the office and say hi. Sigh. Heya Tom, welcome to a great community.

12. Samantha

Samantha

I'm so glad we'll have you around, Tom! It will be nice to have an OTEE arm here in the states.

13. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Wow, big loss for Adobe/Macromedia and huge gain for OTEE! I remember Tom (although he probably doesn't remember me) from his updates and news on Director. Welcome! There are several of us here who are former (or semi-former) Director users, I'm sure you'll feel at home right away.

Good thing you took a vacation before you started though, do you have any idea what kind of hours the guys at OTEE work? I don't think Jo ever goes to sleep, and I suspect it's the same for the rest of the gang there. HA! Just kidding guys, you're the best!

14. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Welcome Tom! This is an interesting move by OTEE putting an "office" in SF. Unity is slowly infiltrating America :wink: If I had known I was going to get into video games after college I would've stayed in San Francisco myself. It seems to be one of the hot spots right now for the industry.

15. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

The first step is to meditate, you must achieve Unity.

16. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Welcome Tom, great to have you onboard. This should be interesting

Cheers!

17. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Macupuncture (1): as far as helping me do my job better goes I can only ask that you stay the course for now, keep developing cutting edge content, keep being such an active and self-supporting community, and I suppose most of all lend a hand in helping me get up to speed. I'm sure I'll be back with requests as time goes on so stay tuned...

Note: before finishing this post I have a request! I'm doing all I can to comb for demos, examples, released content, etc (the guys here in the office are of course helping with that as well). Anything folks have to share with me on those fronts would be MUCH appreciated. I've looked around the various sites I could find (Unify wiki, here on unity3d.com, etc.), but anything else you want to send along (email, PM here on the forums, etc.) to help educate me would be great, thanks.

Macupuncture (2): what should happen with Unity in the future? Hmmm, to be clear I do feel it a bit presumptuous for me to talk too firmly about that as I need to get more experience and insight about this tool in particular before I want to espouse "what's best for Unity". But in general I do have ideas about where I think game tools of this type ought to go that definitely apply to Unity. Things like continued platform expansion (without forgetting the core Mac/Win environments of course), continued promotion of the web player, looking beyond the "games" tag for those in non-games segments, etc. As time goes on I'll share more thoughts for sure, I'm not usually shy with opinions... :D

tsphillips: bonus points indeed!

littlelingo: I am finding a number of familiar faces lurking about which has been rather nice... Good to see you around these parts Clint!

bigkahuna: do I know what kind of hours these guys work? Oh yeah... First off they were always open to emails, IMs or phone calls on my time when discussing my coming on board (translation: they work really late). Then yesterday, my first full day of proper work saw me arriving at 9:30am and we all stayed in the office until nearly 1:30am. Then we all got up and were here again this morning! No worries though, I'm not against long hours at work, especially for something this cool. 8)

To everyone else, I really appreciate the warm welcome. If folks are ever in San Francisco then please let me know! Otherwise I'm always open to IMs, emails or phone calls...

18. podperson

podperson

Muahahaha from Director to Unity ... how appropriate :)

Welcome.

19. VeganApps

VeganApps

Welcome Tom! :D

20. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Woot Unity is infiltrating the states! Welcome!

21. bronxbomber92

bronxbomber92

Welcome to Unity! What a great addition to the Unity team :)

22. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

It's really good to see OTEE making hires of this nature, it really helps give confidence in the product and the company.

Often new great tools come and go, and that's bad when you make substantial investment in time and money to learn and use the tool.

With new hires, and the notion that OTEE is serious about it's U.S. market it really is reassuring that I am making the right choice in choosing Unity.

Again, welcome and it's cool to be "in the know" of such a cool company and tool.

Peace,
    dingo

23. Danni

Danni

Welcome Tom:D

See you at the fridaybar! :p

Cya, Danni

24. Morgan

Morgan

Wow, great news! You've had plenty of Director defectors I'm sure, but none like this....

Oh, and welcome :)

I just envangelized Unity to some people at a Cleveland game dev conference--it really gets attention when people see what it can do.

25. terransage

terransage

Welcome, Tom! I see Unity sidling its way into Silicon Valley, then creeping north into Bill Gates' territory. :twisted: (I meant "creeping" in the positive sense).

26. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

so, next release will contain Unity OS? ;)

27. StarManta

StarManta

That's the big secret feature of 3.0.

28. AaronC

AaronC

Its strange how these guys working the clock so hard produce an app that makes us (the users of) go to bed no earlier than 3am every night...

Its like, the cosmic energy man, We're doomed to late late nights so long as our unity creators are too.

Its nice to be passionate about something that could resemble work...
    AC

29. jeremyace

jeremyace

Welcome Tom, and congrats OTEE.

Very cool news. :)

-Jeremy

30. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Thanks for the continued posts of support. I've been here at OTEE HQ in Copenhagen for nearly two weeks and have had an incredible time working with these guys. On Wednesday the 20th I head back to San Francisco to really get things started there and I think it's going to rock!

And if all goes well we are indeed "doomed" to late nights of passionate work on an incredible tool... 8)