Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity offers subscription

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aurore, May 23, 2013.

1. ev3d

ev3d

um... $150/12 is $1800.. NOT $2250

2. ev3d

ev3d

I think that if you are a small firm starting a game, the subscription model is great.. It's far cheaper for the first year than buying a normal license..

3. Jaimi

Jaimi

Subscription is great for people who need to pay monthly. If you're not liking the price of this, then this is probably not you. Instead it's for those people who need a lot of software, without a large up front commitment - a small startup that needs predictable monthly expenses, for example. These are the same people who will lease their computers and their office furniture.

If you're in the "The subscription price is too much for me" camp, I suggest looking into a credit card that you can pay out over a longer term. Or perhaps a small business loan. (If you're in the US, go to SBA.gov and check out what you need to qualify).

4. Game-Whiz

Game-Whiz

At half the current price I might consider going for a subscription (I own 4.x with iOS and Android). If Unity opts to raise the prices of the perpetual licenses to make the subscription more appealing (like Microsoft did with Office), they'll loose me as a customer eventually, and I'll move to another engine as soon as I have the chance to do it (most likely UDK).

5. orb

orb

I don't think $75 is that outrageous (but I'm in a richer country), so I'm on the fence at that price. $50 would be at my impulse purchase level. The thing I'm not so excited about is how much each add-on costs (whether it's rent or own). It doesn't really feel quite like add-on pricing. When you add two mobile upgrades it's quite a bit more than just saving up for the ordinary $1500 apiece, and still no ownership. Some people won't feel the subscription is worth it without some guarantees of major upgrades during each contract cycle.

But once you start calculating, paying $900/year for something you can't keep using once you stop feels like a pretty bad deal, compared to $1500 once and $750 whenever you feel like upgrading. That $1500 purchase could be good for 2-3 years (based on the cycle so far), and $750 extends it another 2-3 years. 6x$900 is a tad on the extreme side of pricing. Major releases would have to be yearly for them to be close enough.

6. HunterPT

HunterPT

While I do appreciate the effort for unity to make itself more financially accessible to people, I do not believe that a subscription model is the way to go.

I have seen and talked with a lot of aspiring indie developers that end up going for something like UDK not because they like it, or because they think it will result in a better product or what ever, but pure and simply because they can't afford unity pro licenses.

For a starting indie finding people that you can/want to work with is hard, finding people that you can/want to work with and that can afford 1500$ each for a license is obviously even harder.

Yes you do offer unity free, but lets make no mistake unity free limits one ability to make games, in a lot of cases it is very hard for one to make a game in unity free and then just port it to pro, some of the features are crucial like pathfinding, or occlusion culling, these features involve a very significant change in work for those that can only use unity free.

Adding to those problems we have developers making content to the asset store that need to take into account not only different unity configurations (3.x and 4.x), but also their free versions, with some things not being doable in free it reduces the financial incentive to make such products, which in turn ends up diminishing the value present in the asset store, which is something that affects most of us (including unity itself).

Even I as a pro user end up suffering from this division, I still can't activate unity pro in all my computers.

In short while 1500$ is an amazing deal for an established developer, for people getting their toes wet and trying out the waters it is a significant challenge, one which other engine companies have solved (talking about epic here, although crytek allegedly also has a royalty based license), one which a lot of people just simple won't be able to get past.
    Lets make no mistake this isn't just a problem for developing countries, I live in a developed country in the European union and the minimum wage is less than 500€ per month, assuming you didn't spend that money in food or anything else it would still take about 3 months just to save enough to get a license, now obviously subscription helps here, but it is still a significant amount for people in that financial condition. Also the situation is obviously worse in a lot of other countries, which makes people either pirate your engine or even worse go to your competition.

That being said I'm going to give my thoughts on how the subscription model is implemented.
    First of all a lot of people are going to find it too much money per month for the license, since a fixed cost per life license costs 1500$, if it is or isn't too much is of little consequence since perception here is probably more important than the reality.

Second you should offer a partial discount to people that want to upgrade their license, not the full amount obviously, but at least a part of it, while one can easily say that they got what they paid for, truth is that people won't see it that way, which was clearly shown by the transition to unity 4.0 that everything but smooth from a perceived value point of view.

Third either lower base package price, or lower the price in the addon packages, because as it stands buying all 3 packages just ends up being considerably expensive for a developer, and not everyone that wants iOS/Android wants to publish for PC.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  7. orb

orb

This should be in a large, obnoxious font, but I'm not enough of a bastard. So let's just highlight it by quoting :)

What was the count of free users? 1.8 million? I'm sure converting a bunch of them to paid users will be hard if they basically need two add-ons to use one (at least that's how it will look to them).

8. Forge Vault

Forge Vault

It's an illusion cast by the current price model. Since unity basic is free we assume when we buy iOS that we are buying only iOS but the truth is we've been given unity for free. Thus when we want to upgrade it creates confusion that we need to buy pro in order to buy iOS pro. If unity basic was 400 or the secondary license price was universal across basic and pro it would be more reasonable when upgrading. Nobody wants to feel as if there throwing away a bunch of money which is exactly what it feels like now.

9. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Fun choice - $2000 for a base Pro license, or $75/mo for 12 months? ($800 for one year, in case you were wondering.) Interesting...very interesting...

10. bpdavis

bpdavis

My thoughts are that this model is a bit pricey. Lowering the costs to $25 per feature, rather than $75, would be more inticing to both the serious indie developer and the hobbyist. More inticing pricing would lead to more overall subscriptions and more money in the long run for UT. Alas, it's not my decision to make. It is, of course, my decision as to whether or not to subscribe. :)

11. jashan

jashan

It's actually all quite simple: At the current prices, what they really need to do is give people going with the "subscription" the option to convert the "subscription" to a perpetual license after 24 months (which makes this not really a subscription - that's why I'm putting it in quotes). People could then either continue their "subscription" (which has the benefit that you don't have to pay the usual upgrade fees in one big chunk), or drop out of the subscription and pay the upgrades like all other perpetual license owners do.

I got my iMac the same way: For two years, I'm paying "buy price / 24". Then, I can either return it ... get a new one and keep paying. Or I pay 3 more months and then I own it. Someone at UT obviously had "lease" confused with "subscription" (I'm not sure about the precise terms here - in German, "leasing" is a special kind of lease where you usually have the option of getting ownership after the leasing agreement ends; it's similar to a loan only that with a loan, you immediately own while with "leasing" ownership is transferred only optionally and after the contract ends which has tax implications).

As true "subscription" that doesn't ever give you ownership, the pricing is just wrong. A subscription must be significantly cheaper than a "leasing contract" because a subscription doesn't give you the option to own - but "leasing contracts" (at these prices) usually do.

One could say that the iMac "ages" - but so does a specific version of Unity. In 5 years it's very likely that Unity 3.x will hardly be useful. I think I can't even install older versions of Unity (like 1.x or 2.x) on my current machine anymore. But if I keep things as they are, I can use it as long as I want ... and I can get the upgrades ;-)

Taking the permission to use Unity away when people stop paying after they have actually paid more than the price of a perpetual license ... and having people start another 12 month obligation just because they want to pause for a month ... really doesn't sound like a fair deal except for a very small fraction of the user base. There's one other option to make this "fair": Drop the "12 month obligation". Then, the argument "but some people have shorter term projects" actually would work well.

Most contract work that I've done with Unity so far was "a couple of weeks". Using a 12 month subscription for that would be stupid. There's a lot of projects you can do with Unity that won't take you much longer than a few months. So having a 12 month subscription is a waste of money unless you need Unity for at least a year ... and then, you've already paid $900, so why not add those $600 to get the full perpetual license?

12. FuriantMedia

FuriantMedia

Make it so that when my subscription expires I can pay the difference between the subscription total and the normal price, or I can continue to subscribe. Either way, once I've paid the full amount for the normal license, I own the product. Do this and I will buy it today, and you'll eventually make the equivalent of a normal sale. I will not be paying at least the cost of a regular license only to not own anything.

Of course, if your position is that if you can't have more money than the regular price, then you'd rather have no money at all, then by all means, carry on.

13. cynic

cynic

My thoughts exactly. The current model is not very attractive.

There are two options which would make me subscribe today:

1.) Add an ownership option, i.e. allow us to pay the difference between subscription payments and licence cost after the subscription expires or reached the amount of a regular licence. Feel free to include some kind of reasonable premium, I don't care. I also wouldn't mind binding myself for a 24 month subscription in order to get this option.

2.) Lower the subscription pricing to something along $25 per package, which would amount to $75 for the Pro, iOS Pro and Android Pro licences. Then I don't care about ownership, because it's reasonably priced and I'd stay up to date without forking out multitudes more than for a regular licence.

Personally, I really like the subscription idea, however it is currently heavily overpriced. I do understand the problem UT has, which is basically people preparing a lot of work based on the free version so there is a lot of considerations, because obviously we wouldn't want people to subscribe even for 12 months at a lower rate just to publish and fall back on free.

Frankly, this is an issue with the current business model, though and you need to find an elegant way to solve this in order to turn more users into paying licensees.

14. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Am i the only one that's worried about the amount of people here that seemingly can't multiply by 12 without error?

15. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Isn't that what computers and calculators are for? lol

16. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

I vote that we change the whole world to 10month years, to facilitate unity forums maths

17. tatoforever

tatoforever

I think they've learned to multiply only up to 10. :rolleyes:

18. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

You only get so many fingers :(

19. Superflat

Superflat

I'm personally a bit miffed i cant attach a IOS pro subscription to my perpetual unity 4 pro license. Unity Support basically told me i'm forced to get an extra unity 4 pro subscription ontop of my perpetual one.

Especially funny when the FAQ stated special prices were available for people who had a perpetual license and would like to get a subscription on one of the upgrades. This was edited out shortly afterwards and the support people pretended there was no mention of it elsewhere. Luckily i wasn't crazy as other people confirmed it was indeed in the FAQ.

Could the Unity people please shed some light on this? I feel like i've basically been shafted into a worse deal and would really like to benefit from the IOS pro subscription without being forced into another pro license on top of the one that i already possess.

20. Cazual

Cazual

It seems the people who have spend a lot buying the different licenses(and we have all of them) now have to throw those away to get the new licenses!

21. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

They're doing this as an experimental period to see how it goes and if it's worth further investment. There is every chance that if they go ahead long term they'll address issues like this.

You don't have to throw anything away. Just keep using the licenses you've got. They're not going away.

22. orb

orb

They might not be going away, but like Superflat said existing Pro licences can't have subscriptions added.

23. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

At this stage. During an experiment.

24. XilenceX

XilenceX

When I first read that there was a subscription based model for Pro at 75$/month I got really exited. Then I did the math for the 12 month binding total to pay and was quite disappointed. So as many others have suggested before can we have a subscription that is binding for a shorter period like 3 months please? Some higher price point per month like 90$/ month would be fine. With that binding period I think the pricing would be fair for those who only want to go Pro for one Project at a time.
    This thing has been going for a month now , so some word from Unity Reps on what's next would be much appreciated. I even contacted the sales team about 3 months @90$ each, but never got a reply. ;(

Edit:Oh and to avoid upsetting those who "fell" for the 900$/year offer... allow them to cancel the subscription after 4 or 5 months instead of 12. Otherwise doing this might upset the mathematically challenged. ^^

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  25. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Interested to know how it went. $75 is too much though. If $75 added all the iOS/Android plugins, it'd be worth it.
    Gigi.

26. dacloo

dacloo

the moment subscription becomes the only option, is the moment we will move away from Unity.

27. dacloo

dacloo

Democratizing does not equal 'better'. It means an even more crowded App Store and a reduced average quality. A barrier to entry can be a good thing.

28. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I agree completely, but disagree on where that barrier should be. I personally like the idea of merit based achievement, so I don't believe that access to tools should be restricted based on a person's prior achievement, since that's so ridiculously counter-productive. How are people supposed to develop the skills with which to compete on merit if they're denied access to tools?

Merit should be judged based on what people produce, and doing that requires enabling them to do so. If they produce crap then I'm all for not helping them share it, but that decision can't be made based on something that doesn't exist.

The barrier, where relevant, should be between what's created and the avenues through which it is distributed, not between a creator and the tools with which they create.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  29. GiusCo

GiusCo

There is a different business in the arena now: the Asset Store, both for UT and skilled devs / artists. That makes the difference between consumers / hobbyists like me and pros / semi-pros like the people who are successful there. A lot of poor pieces there too, but it's easy to avoid them because visibility for the best assets is still quite good.

30. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

But it's also a good reason to lower unity's price, as they recoup some of that in asset store sales, i've spend about 5X as much in the store as i did on unity, they take 30% of that.

31. flim

flim

The subscription is not worth I think, unless mobile extra is not bound to 12 month contract.

If you subscribe all platform, the cost is $2700 a year. Two years is $5400.

Assume Unity has 2 years version lifecycle, Full license only cost $4500, consider version upgrade is half price, with extra discount, full version is better.

32. flim

flim

Hmm....I use a calculator more often when I visit Unity website ;)

33. Superflat

Superflat

What non sense. This does not have any place in a business model. Elitism is such a silly notion. You might as well suggest unity basic to stop being free because all those students are getting their hands on it! Stop being silly.

The only problem with the current way unity handles this is that they dont offer compensation or an alternative to people with a perpetual licence that want to use the subscription plan. Those are the only people being dealt a S***ty deal.

34. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I believe you've got my meaning backwards. I'm saying that, so far as is possible, everyone should have access to all the tools and the success should ideally go to those who do the best work with them. I was arguing *against* the idea of restricting tools based on skill.

35. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

It goes both way, the point is a business isn't there either to restrict or provide access, it's there to make money.

36. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I agree with that, too, but what I was originally responding to was whether or not 'democratisation' is a good idea. I argued that it was as far as availability of tools is concerned, as it allows more people to develop skills.

37. Dabeh

Dabeh

Anyone care to explain to me why Unity have yet to address some questions raised in this thread? Why do we have to contact them privately for a response? I must be missing the reason why..
    :(

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  38. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Which questions? Most are already answered on the first page of the thread. Many of others are are questions about the future, which is the point of the experiment.

39. Dabeh

Dabeh

First page question, I'll need to contact support. They said the questions would be answered..but nope. I could go through all 12 pages and find more, but I don't really have that kind of time. Unless they answered my question in the FAQ since I asked or something, either way though they said they would answer them.

40. XilenceX

XilenceX

Perhaps you should read the FAQ then: "You can also choose to commit to a new 12 month subscription plan at the original price: $75/month per Pro license, $75/month per Pro add-on and $20/month per Team License."
    https://store.unity3d.com/products/subscription-faq

However I completely agree that it is very odd that lots of posts ask about whether or not shorter subscription contracts will be available or not... and none of them where answered. So my educated guess would be that they probably don't even know the answer yet which would be a bummer as it makes it risky/hard to plan upcomming Pro purchases

41. Dabeh

Dabeh

Yeah but it doesn't tell me if they ditch their subscription plan will you be able to continue renewing.

42. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

That really isn't a question they are likely to provide answer to. When a company launches a product or service, they aren't going provide details about what may happen when that product's life is over. (if they even have plans that far out). From the terms:
    I am fairly certain the questions are willing to address are about how the service works, not about future plans or potential price adjustments.

---

I am interested in the subscription, but since I got my my pro licence as 4 shipped, I have the luxury of not really even thinking about it until 5. Hopefully it will be sorted out by that point. If I were in the position today of needing to get a current pro license, I would buy a license normally, and not go the subscription route simply because it is still too new. Beta/new programs or software is too risky if you are depending on it professionally. Though I'm sure whatever the outcome Unity will do right by their customers, I just wouldn't risk any hiccups/delays in development over it until it is proven solid.

43. Dabeh

Dabeh

They are yet to answer anything publicly in this thread yet after their first post, are you telling me they have no intention of answering valid questions of my nature? Because they said this is a trial, they've already put it out there that this could possibly not continue. My question is valid and it should actually be something people are wanting to know before they just rush in and purchase a subscription. A lot of the math(or maths; depending on where you live) here is based on the option to extend your license and longevity.

Also, the "right to terminate or modify the terms of the Subscription offer at any time" is pretty much there for legal reasons, you'll find something like that in pretty much any EULA that is worth the pixels it's printed on.

44. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

While it may be a valid question, it just isn't one likely they can or will answer. "When is the new GUI coming?" or "What features will be in Unity 5?" are also valid questions, but ones you won't get a specific answer to. And any answer you might get is mostly likely going to change.

They have never actually said "trial", just limited time. While the implication is certainly there that it is a trial for them, since they are selling 1 year packages, it isn't a trivial one. And the mechanism is there to support subscriptions even if they never sell new ones. So my guess is that they have committed to the option and are determining prices/lengths. Having a limited time cut off gives them a clean transition if they change things. That price/structure and offer have a fixed end date. Even if they should decide to not offer any more subscriptions, they can still support their existing ones. (as they would still be making money and be cheaper than refunds or lost customers). I think it is safe to assume that if you subscribe today, you can maintain your subscription for at least a couple of years (or until 5) if not forever.

The reason I posted that line for the terms is because if the subscription contract terms are subject to change, how is a response in a forum going to be any more reassuring or hold any weight? Your question is about the future that depends on many factors. All I am saying is that those type of questions (about the long term future of a product), are not likely to get a response, and any response you might get isn't actually an answer, only what they plan/hope to do now, not a promise of what they will do when that time arrives. (otherwise it would be in the subscription agreement). They aren't going to make commitments in a forum post that go beyond what the contract says. And if they did, those promises are not legally binding by any stretch and much more likely to change.

So what if Aurore comes in and says "We are never ending the subscription" or "if we end early, we will give discount on full purchase" or "if we end early, we will offer no refunds, but will send you a pony". All those things could still change for any number of reasons. An answer to a speculative question about the future, really isn't answer in the first place.

45. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Questions of that nature are probably what this limited run is intended to find out. As such, I expect that answering those questions is exactly what they intend to do, but they can't do it until they've gauged the response.

46. QFS

QFS

Okay, so what if someone gets a subscription, puts the money into, then Unity decides (just as the year is about to finish) that the subscription feature goes bye bye? Then what? You get nothing for the money already spent and put into it?

Does the person have the option of purchasing Unity Pro for the remaining difference amount compared to what was already paid into the subscription for that version of Unity?

I mean, if the answer to that question is a no, and that you cant pay a difference, then its more like a scam/ripoff.

These "subscription" fads that is taking over the software world is pulling the wool over the eyes of the users. They dont realize that they are being ripped off. ALWAYS expect to have something in your hand, that cannot be taken away from you, after you have parted with your money ... because its not like you can remove the money from their hands .... so the users need to even out the playing field!

47. random1

random1

No, you got 11 months (or however many) of Pro use.

You're thinking about it wrong - if Unity were to treat this as "subscribe for a year, pay the difference, get a full copy of Pro" then basically what they're doing is giving people an interest free loan for a year.
    Someone earlier in the thread suggested that two years ($1800) should get you pro; that makes more sense.

Consider:
    Unity 1 - June 2005
    Unity 2 - Oct 2007 (28 months)
    Unity 3 - Sept 2010 (35 months)
    Unity 4 - Nov 2012 (26 months)

If you had purchased every one of those Pro's at full price (I guess it was 1500 all along), that's $6000.

If you purchased a subscription in June 2005, at $75 per month until now, you would have paid.... $6300.
    Notice anything?

Although actually I believe they offered discounts for upgrading, so the real cost would only have been about $3750.

So their pricing is actually quite reasonable; it's targeting a different kind of user.

48. Dabeh

Dabeh

You're reading what he said wrong, he said what happens if Unity decides they don't want subscriptions anymore.

The maths here considers "long-term", which is how cost effective is it over the update cycles of Unity from 4 - 5 and 5 -6 and so on. If you pay for just one year but you actually intended to have it for as long as you could, this could be a loss of $900 since the advantage of subscription is just that you don't have to pay all at once and you get free updates and you lose the "free updates" advantage if they decide not to go with subscriptions anymore(since it's a long-term plan) and that money could have gone to saving up for a license or something. If we look at it as "11 months of pro" and take updates completely out of the mix, then anyone that is buying it must be out of their god damn mind and/or think short-term.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  49. QFS

QFS

Exactly, I was talking purely from a "what if they decide to cancel subscriptions based Unity usage" ..... What is their back-up plan for those subscribers?

I'd really like to know.

I know I would doubt UT would screw them over, but its best if its spelled out, in writing, from the company.

50. random1

random1

But the same is true for any subscription based service? What happens if Google cancels x (as they are prone to)? Or Microsoft cancels y (also prone to). Or Facebook changes z (seeing a pattern yet?) Or Valve/Steam changes Ω (not so much prone to, but you'd lose your library unless they kept their promise to release DRM-freeing patches)?

It's an inherent risk of anything subscription based. Not only that, these days this risk carries further - to anything that requires an online check as part of its DRM, even if just at install time.