Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity not importing custom package/model

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by slushky22, Jun 18, 2021.

1. slushky22

slushky22

So I just started with Unity today and I’m having an issue with it not importing a custom package/a free model I downloaded. Whenever I click ‘open’ to import the package it just doesn’t do anything! 
    I’ve never used Unity before and I’d really like someone to help me with this issue because even after looking at other threads I’ve been unable to solve this issue for a few hours now.
    Any help is appreciated!

2. Schneider21

Schneider21

Welcome!

You may have to give a bit more info for us to be able to help you out. Is this package a file ending in .unitypackage? Or is an FBX/OBJ or something?

Unity package files should import automatically by double-clicking them, but you do have to actually click Import on the popup inside Unity after... Look around, it might be tucked away in the corner of your monitor or in a window behind the editor or something.

If it's just a straight up model file, you can copy that directly into your Assets directory (or more ideally, a subfolder within your Assets directory for organization) and when you switch back to Unity, the asset will import with default settings. You can then select the file in your Project panel and specify additional import settings and reimport that way.

slushky22 likes this.
  3. slushky22

slushky22

Thank you for replying!
    The model that I am using ends in .unitypackage. I have tried many times to enter the package via both dragging it into the assets folder and clicking the file twice. The import popup does not come up afterwards, however, and the package continues to be unimported. I've seen a few posts stating it could be something in the files, but I'm unsure on how to access these files. If anyone could help me any further it would be very appreciated!!

4. Schneider21

Schneider21

Are you able to record a video of this happening? I would think if there was a problem importing the package, your Unity editor console would indicate that.

slushky22 likes this.
  5. slushky22

slushky22

I am unable to send a recording, but the editor console doesn't give any notification about it. Essentially, nothing happens at all. I could try to make another project, however this did not solve the problem last time.
    I'm sorry if none of this helps!! I truly have no idea why it doesn't work lol.
    Any advice would be amazing though!!

6. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

In that case, we can only suggest submitting a bug report. That'll send up diagnostic information of your setup to establish what could be the cause here...

Please follow the steps outlined here: https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

Schneider21 likes this.
  7. Kageyamaaaa

Kageyamaaaa

Soo i got the EXACT same problem and it drives me crazy i dont know how to fix it, i looked everywhere on the internet im just rlly confused, but my question is if you found a solution bc yall wrote like an year ago so if you found an way i would be really happy for a reply but still Thank you

Attached Files:

8. Zir2904

Zir2904

Dont know why or how does this affect anything but i had the same problem. I fixed it by pressing Window > Layouts > Default. After that i tried importing my custom package again and it worked.

9. bansheesoft

bansheesoft

Wow.... that is a bug... Zir that fixed it for me also thanks!