Search Unity

Unity no longer recognises Android module?

Discussion in 'Android' started by SilverFang180882, Aug 2, 2021.

1. SilverFang180882

SilverFang180882

Hi,

To summarise, my version of Unity DID initially work with no problem in recognising the Android module, but while in the process of installing the NDK tools needed for an Android build, I restarted Unity, only to find that it's no longer recognising my Android module (despite the hub continually showing that it is installed).

In full, I been trying to make an android build for my game using Unity 2020.3.14f1. Despite having checked the SDK and NDK tools when I initially installed it, as well as the OpenJDK option, it seemed the path to the JDK, SDK and NDK stuff was incorrect. I spent a loooong evening downloading and installing it all (some of it through Android Studio).

In the preferences, Unity seemed to recognise that I had JDK and SDK installed (it automatically detected them when I selected "browse"), but it didn't do the same for NDK, so I decided to restart Unity. When I opened my project again, I was frustrated to find that it was no longer recognising my Android module at all! It wouldn't even show the JDK/SDK/NDK paths in the preferences folder!

Is there any easy way for me to fix this? I just downloaded the newer version of Unity (2020.3.15f2), but it's refusing to install the modules without any real explanation. I've already tried multiple times already. UnityModuleInstall_1.jpg UnityModuleInstall_2.jpg

I'd appreciate any kind of help, because this is incredibly frustrating. I spent so many hours downloading and installing the JDK, SDK and NDK, only to end up far worse off than when I started because Unity now refuses to acknowledge the Android module at all.

Do let me know if any further information is needed. If any screenshots from within Unity itself are needed, I'll be sending them from version 14f, because I don't want to adjust my project to match 15f until it installs the modules properly.

Thanks in advance.

2. SilverFang180882

SilverFang180882

So, Version 15f2 finally managed to install the Android modules. I spent another evening trying so hard to make an Android build (set a manual gradle too, and followed many different tutorials to fix the error, but continuously getting "Gradle Build Failed").

It's bad enough that I can't get Unity to build, but whenever I try, then close Unity and open it again, something's always happening. Now my version of 15f won't open at all and crashes when loading the editor.

I'm uploading a bug report as we speak.

Any help would be much appreciated because I don't want my versions of Unity to keep creating these worse problems every time I try to build an Android game.

3. JuliusM

JuliusM

Unity Technologies

Unity 2020.3.15f2 uses a newer Gradle and Android Gradle plugin versions than Unity 2020.3.14f1. Most likely that causes a build failure for you. You should specify the build errors you get, because without them it is impossible to know what is wrong.