Search Unity

Unity Networking and WebGL

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by ElnuDev, Jul 28, 2018.

1. ElnuDev

ElnuDev

How do I create a server in WebGL? When I start up the WebGL version of the game, I get this:
    upload_2018-7-27_16-34-48.png
    Is WebGL networking even possible?

2. YuriPetskus

YuriPetskus

Enable "Use WebSockets" in Network Manager.

ElnuDev likes this.
  3. ElnuDev

ElnuDev

It still doesn't let me create a server or use match maker.

4. YuriPetskus

YuriPetskus

WebGL version cannot be server.
    Run one Windows instance as server. Then WebGL-instance can connect to server as client.

ElnuDev likes this.
  5. ElnuDev

ElnuDev

Thanks mate! I got it to work. :D

6. koalagamesnl

koalagamesnl

i dont understand what you mean Yuri

7. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

WebGL cannot act as a server. Use a Windows or other standalone platform build as the server. By default Unet on all platforms other than WebGL will use UDP for Unet's network transport, but WebGL is not capable of using UDP, only Websockets. So you tell the standalone build to use Websockets instead of UDP so WebGL clients can talk to it.

https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Networking.NetworkManager-useWebSockets.html

ElnuDev and YuriPetskus like this.
  8. Sheezuu

Sheezuu

kindly tell me how to set multiplayer using WebGL ?? i upload webGL build on Domain(Server) and try to play multiplayer game by running two instances on different laptops but it didnt work for me both players cant find each other. Kindly help

9. MrG

MrG

You don't mention a game server they're connecting to...do you have one? Are they both able to connect to it?

Joe-Censored likes this.
  10. Sheezuu

Sheezuu

i upload the build file on server and both players open the file but they cant find each other please help me

11. MrG

MrG

There isn't any magic - you still need a game server hosted somewhere for both players to connect to. It sounds like you've created a single player game with no networking and no game server.

12. Sheezuu

Sheezuu

I mention the server IPaddress in Network Manager Still it didnt make connection between two clients

13. Sheezuu

Sheezuu

If u help me it will be very honourable for me

14. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

You need a SERVER

You will not be able to "make connection between two clients". You need a standalone build (not WebGL, instead Windows/Linux/Mac, etc) set up to act as a server which the two clients connect to. You will also need to make sure the server build is set to use websockets.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  15. Sheezuu

Sheezuu

using PC/Windows/Linux it works well but i want to Make i webGL -_- it didnt work . Do u have any idea ??

16. Sheezuu

Sheezuu

nd i want to upload my game on domain(server) and make two clients to connect with each other. Any idea how to do ??

17. Sheezuu

Sheezuu

am getting this issue on executing webgl html page "Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property ‘id’ of null "
    plz help me to solve this

18. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

WebGL uses websockets, you'd have to configure your standalone server build to use websockets instead of UDP in order for the WebGL build to be able to connect to it.

19. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Clients don't connect to each other, period. Not sure if you're meaning something different, or don't understand how it works, but the clients in order to affect each other will do so through their connection to the same server.

20. massey_digital

massey_digital

Wanted to add to this thread that the aforementioned websocket process worked for me, but I had to use Firefox instead of Edge in order for it to work. I'm using 2019.3.0a7, and auto graphics api which when I turn off goes to WebGL 2.0.. I believe this means that it also won't work with IE and I am using Chrome 75 which also didn't work.

21. Anpu23

Anpu23

So I am still trying to wrap my head around all of this. I own a third party independent virtual server, I've successfully loaded and played single party games on it using WebGL. Now I want to try multiple party games hosted and ran on the website without a need for the client to download anything. In other words log on, click on the game and run from the website directly.

22. Walter_Hulsebos

Walter_Hulsebos