Search Unity

[Unity Netcode] How do I temporarily disable interpolation when being teleported?

Discussion in 'NetCode for ECS' started by khalid_mightybear, Feb 21, 2020.

1. khalid_mightybear

khalid_mightybear

How do I temporarily disable interpolation when being teleported?
    Currently I can see my game characters being interpolated to their new teleport point

Mikael-H likes this.
  2. timjohansson

timjohansson

Unity Technologies

There is currently not automatic way of disabling interpolation temporarily, right now you would have to write a custom GhostSnapshotValue.
    In the ghost snapshot value you can write your own code that is called to interpolate - we do that in DotsSample, see https://github.com/Unity-Technologi....Sample.Game/GameBootstrap/GhostAngleValue.cs and https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...cripts/Networking/GhostSnapshotValueAngle.txt .
    You could do some kind of heuristic in the interpolate method, if (distance <= 10) lerp(). If you need to flag it manually you could include some kind of teleportVersion in the snapshot data which you increase every time you teleport so you can do something like if (teleportVerion == target.teleportVerion) lerp().

3. KaneKennste

KaneKennste

Kind of old, but in case anyone else is wondering how to achieve this: NetworkTransform offers now a function called Teleport. That can be called by the owner.

joseph114591452 and Opeth001 like this.
  4. Opeth001

Opeth001

do you have a link to it or something? i cant find it in the unity netcode package.
    Thanks

5. KaneKennste

KaneKennste

I found it by looking into NetworkTransform in Packages/Netcode For GameObjects/Components/NetworkTransform or Library\PackageCache\com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.2.0\Components\NetworkTransform. At the bottom you'll find
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public void Teleport(Vector3 newPosition, Quaternion newRotation, Vector3 newScale)
    2.         {
    3.             if (!CanCommitToTransform)
    4.             {
    5.                 throw new Exception("Teleporting on non-authoritative side is not allowed!");
    6.             }
    8.             // Teleporting now is as simple as setting the internal state and passing the teleport flag
    9.             SetStateInternal(newPosition, newRotation, newScale, true);
    10.         }
    Oh, and one correction to my previous post. it cannot called by the owner. It can be called by the owner if NetworkTransform is Client Authoritative, or by the Server if Server Authoritative.

6. Opeth001

Opeth001

It's out of topic, here we are in the DOTS netcode not in the gameobject one.
    But thank you anyway ;)

7. KaneKennste

KaneKennste

whoops, you're right. my bad :)

8. Rukhanka

Rukhanka

Found this in Netcode changelog:
    * Added a `MaxSmoothingDistance` parameter to the `[GhostField]` attribute. If specified interpolation will be disabled when the values change more than that limit between two snapshots. This is useful for dealing with teleportation and similar changes which should not be interpolated.

Opeth001 likes this.
  9. Opeth001

Opeth001

However, it's important to note that this option may not work effectively in all cases. For example, it may not be suitable for fast-moving ghosts that travel at high speeds which start teleporting if they excceed that MaxSmoothingDistance, or for simple short-distance teleportations.