Search Unity

Unity needs a first-class Spline tool. Enough is enough!

Discussion in 'Editor Workflows' started by shawnblais, Oct 15, 2020.

1. carl010010

carl010010

2. BlackSilence89

BlackSilence89

That is great. Is there any example to move a player along the spline ?

3. TheCelt

TheCelt

Pretty bare bones to say the least, seen youtuber provide source code for more features than that package... Compared to what unreal is doing with splines it's insane how minimal everything is so we have to do it or use other people's code instead of making our actual games.

4. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Welcome to the age of MVP. In a couple of years, it'll be solid (hopefully).

5. MechaWolf99

MechaWolf99

Kind of late, but for future reads. There are a good number of samples included. These include things generating a tube along the spline and moving an object along a spline.

6. MechaWolf99

MechaWolf99

For a spline API it is quite feature rich, much more so than any free package I have seen. It also has support for using it with Jobs if that is what you need. Keep in mind, it is mainly an API, a common library/package for people to use to build their games and tools on top of!

It doesn't have things for pipe generation or procedural placement or things of that nature. And frankly I agree with that choice, it keeps it from becoming bloated as those should really be their own packages rather than lumped in with the core splines package.

But to say it is an MVP or bare bones is simply not true. It's API and scene tooling is quite robust! It just isn't a level design tool!

tsukimi, DragonCoder, NotaNaN and 2 others like this.
  7. TheCelt

TheCelt

Fair point regarding proc gen, but it could split into more packages to avoid bloat.

As for the tooling, I find it okay for in editor but not run time stuff.

8. kris007_iron

kris007_iron

9. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

This gave me a genuine LOL

... Realizing this thread hasn't been updated, folks here might want to know - Splines 2.1 is available now! Tons of great new features (like branching and direct manipulation) and API updates, default components. 22.2 verified, but as with previous versions, it should work on older versions also, if not officially supported.

Unity blog post with details coming soon :)

Blepius, Rowlan, Waterlane and 2 others like this.
  10. Rowlan

Rowlan

You could mention MicroVerse as being one of the big assets that use the new Splines in the Blog :)

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  11. unity_QJ7RazXzghZCzA

unity_QJ7RazXzghZCzA

Why Unreal Engine has its all just for free, fast and flexible?
    Why we should buy ton of assets to just fix unity?
    Why we should wait while editor spend tons of times to just process logic of those assets thats fix unity?!

12. TJHeuvel-net

TJHeuvel-net

Why should unity do everything like unreal? Look at how shader graph turned out.

13. TheCelt

TheCelt

Are you really asking that question ?

An engine that only does everything in half measures means we have to do it, or eat into our budgets and depend on assets with no guarantee of continued support. When we are suppose to be focussing on making games.

Ridiculous question.

unity_QJ7RazXzghZCzA likes this.
  14. unity_QJ7RazXzghZCzA

unity_QJ7RazXzghZCzA

Exactly. Absolutely agree.
    When I started my current project two month before I searched for decals and I found unity URP decals which they just added in 2021. They just reinvented decals that was cutted out after unity 5! To my wonder it has only very-basic functionality, without layer system and without angle render fade(the last one already exist but just does not working), not mention that we need mesh-specific render to render specific decal only on specific meshes and assign in in runtime, to not render blood decal on everything that intersects with it! Half baked and half working. AGAIN!
    They placed fix for decals in unity 2022 beta, Carl.