Search Unity

Unity Mingle during GDC

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by David-Helgason, Feb 22, 2007.

1. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

On Tuesday March 6, the day before the GDC Expo opens, we'll have a Unity Mingle event a few blocks away from GDC's venue. This is another chance to meet up with myself and David, talk a little shop and get to know each other a bit more. We welcome Unity users, and any others who are interested in Unity. We'll bring our laptops!

Please RSVP in this thread or by email, so we can reserver tables ahead.

d.

Time: Starting at 6.30pm, March 6
    Venue: Kate O'Brien's in San Francisco (Google Map)

2. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Having lived in SFO for two years and visited many a nice bar and lounge in the city in search of cool jazz and swing bands (Lavay Smith comes to mind immediately) I'll be there mentally anyway.

3. StarManta

StarManta

I wish I could afford a trip right now. :(

4. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Do we have two Davids now? :eek:

5. pete

pete

so that's how you guys are always around! wish i could join you and yourself but you two have fun! :D

6. MatthewW

MatthewW

I should be able to make it for a bit. Flashbang is hosting an indie games party that night, but it doesn't start until 8.

7. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

That's the price David pays for copying/pasting from the announcement email we sent out... :D

Get to work Davids! :p

8. Bampf

Bampf

Code (csharp):
    1. David david2 = (David)Instantiate(davidhelgason);

9. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Code (csharp):
    2. while(true)
    3. {
    4.    yield WaitForSeconds (1);
    5.    newDavid = Instantiate(davidhelgason);
    6.    newDavid.velocity = transform.forward * 1000;
    7. }
    I wish I could go to GDC... and bring my david launcher

10. klindeman

klindeman

Y'all better be going to WWDC, I will be there!

11. davidpolcino

davidpolcino

How's it shaping up? Is the mingle coming together? I'm thinking of heading up for it (about an 8 hour drive for me). Would this be the night of the 6th?

-Dave

12. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

@Dave: it's coming together nicely (looks like there will be about a dozen people there so far). :) The Unity Mingle event is in fact on Tuesday, March 6th, starting at 6:30pm. Come on up!

Edit: piece of cake! Google Map Directions

13. davidpolcino

davidpolcino

Hah, I didn't notice you set up my route from San Diego! Thanks, don't want to get lost! :D

I'm looking at hotels on Geary street around Taylor. Does that sound like a good bet?

Thanks.

14. davidpolcino

davidpolcino

Ok sign me up for the get-together! I picked the Ramada Americania. Seems like a bit of a seedy area, but then so am I! :p

15. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Once I had the Google map it was easy to say "get directions to here from San Diego"... :p

Geary and Taylor is good, not too far a walk from the conference and our Unity Mingle, very close to Ruby Skye (where the Minna Mingle is held on Wednesday, RSVP here if you haven't already).

See ya next week!

16. poetbeware

poetbeware

Argh! Is it too late to RSVP? I live in San Francisco and would love to meet chat with everyone.

17. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

No way is it too late to RSVP, come on down.

Where in SF? I'm just north of the panhandle on McAllister...

18. davidpolcino

davidpolcino

Actually the place I ended up at is on 7th and Mission, but it was the only 3-star hotel that wasn't $400 a night! :eek:

19. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

You're still a short walk (2-3 blocks) from the conference hall so that's not so bad location-wise. The prices here in SF on the other hand... yikes.

20. poetbeware

poetbeware

HiggyB: I'm a block from Castro St station; I work in the Presidio (the Internet Archive).

dcorwin: Just be careful at night; I used to work at 6th Mission. It's not exactly dangerous, but not the nicest of neighborhoods.

Also, my partner/3D artist also wants to RSVP. Party time!

21. MatthewW

MatthewW

To be specific: I'll be there with at least one artist (maybe two, if I can con another into coming). Our party is later that night; I'll have some printed invites for you guys.

22. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

@Matthew: cool, thanks for the info. We'll see you there!

@Poetbeware: nice, that's not too far away at all. All this week I'll have both David and Joachim (yes, Joachim has joined us for GDC!) at my place... Unity is in the neighborhood!

23. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

*BUMP*

Just reminding people that this is tonight.

We're up to some 20 RSVP's now so it seems it'll be a blast!

d.

24. davidpolcino

davidpolcino

That's going to be great! I'm checking in from my laptop at my hotel. Arrived yesterday (and spent a ton of money somehow, where'd my money go?!). Looking forward to meeting everyone!

25. drJones

drJones

if you guys can take some fun pics post em here - for those of us who'd love to be there but can't ; )

26. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Sure, will do... Here's a teaser photo for now:

That's our fearless leader David with my reply being typed in the foreground. :) Pics shall be taken tonight and posted shortly afterwards, no worries there folks.

27. drJones

drJones

thanks tom ; )

if you guys do it again next year i'll plan to go then - i really wanted to go this year but absolutely no money or time right now (i have family out there i haven't seen in a long time so it would be great a dual purpose trip).

have fun guys!

28. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Wow!

So, last night the Unity Mingle finally happened.

We had imagined something like 10 people would drop by, but RSVPs just kept pouring in. And when we arrived, even more people came than had RSVPd. All in all I think I managed to say hello to around 30 people last nigth!

So: thanks so much to all who attended. It was great fun to get some of the faces (and life-stories) behind the handles and aliases and email addresses that populate our world. And my sincere apologies to those I didn't have time to talk to, or not enough (and there's never enough time, is there).

As I told a lot of people last night: we'll on our GDC stand the rest of the week (starting in a few hours), so please drop by and see the cool new demo.

We're in the "Nordic Game" area (area 5320) in Moscone's North Hall. You can see the "Nordic Game" banners a little on the left as soon as you enter.

d.

29. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

By the way: Tom took a bunch of pictures that he promised to put up for us.

d.

30. pete

pete

wish i was there. hope you guys are having a great time! sounds like it.

31. MatthewW

MatthewW

Sorry I missed it--ended up stuck in the IGS after speaking and then had to zip over to our party to prepare. I'll definitely swing by the booth this week, though!

32. davidpolcino

davidpolcino

I'm reporting from the GDC and went to the Unity Mingle last night. It was great! You won't find a nicer bunch of people, the whole Unity team is great. Everyone was friendly and I had a great time. There were also a bunch of non-Unity game developers there so a number of us hung around until they kicked us out. Then headed over to the local Dennys to recover a bit. Good stuff!

33. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Any more GDC updates? I know of certain things that were probably shown and I'd love to know the response so far. I'd also love to hear about any SF experiences, I used to live 4 blocks away from the Moscone Center in the Tenderloin at 6th and Market and any people's experience of passing through that neighborhood would be interesting. There's 2 world renowned eateries on the block I lived at (6th and Market). Tu Lan, the best Vietnamese food you'll ever eat, no question... and definitely try their Vietnamese coffee. And the taqueria right next door (it has a generic name I can't recall) has the best burritos in SF and they're under $4... the best. Oh man I miss that food... I use to live right up stairs from both of these places.

34. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

I worked on Clara Street between 5th and 6th (between Folsom and Harrison) and lived over in Oakland in the little "V" formed where Hwys 13 and 580 split.

I agree with aNTeNNa trEE ... Tu Lan is excellent. Superb. But there's also Lulus near the Moscone Center and also my favourite lunch place Le Charm French Bistro on 5th to try as ell. The later's roasted chicken was to die for. Yummy.

Burritos? There was always a big "burrito truck" that hung out near the corner of 6th and Hwy 80 that rolled up at lunches and was pretty good too.

35. davidpolcino

davidpolcino

Right before I headed home yesterday I found a little cafe by my hotel on 7th and Howard, I think it was called Tony Baloney's. Man was their food good! It was possibly the best sandwich I've ever had!

36. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Hmm, never came across Tony Baloney's when I lived there. I had a friend that lived at Folsom and 7th so I really should've noticed that place while walking over there. SF really is a food mecca for all types of cuisine. But I have to say that since I live on the east coast now the thing I miss the most is the taquerias... the worst burrito joint in SF probably still beats the best mexican restaurant in all of Rhode Island.

DaveyJJ, glad to hear someone else here likes Tu Lan. It's seriously a diamond in the rough in that neighborhood. I lived at 6th and Market for 4 years and I have to say I've never experienced a dirtier place or a more abrupt transition from rich to poor. Only a block away from 6th street's crack dealers is one of the biggest tourist traps in SF (the Powell street cable cars and the Nordstrom mall).

37. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Yeah, I used to walk from the BART station down 5th every day and have never seen such disparity. The block just northwest of Clara (and by block I mean an open alleyway) was the scene of several drug arrests, one murder, and some of the most visual human suffering I've seen in the US. And yet, two more blocks, and there you were at Nordstroms. Weird and sad. The joined two storey twonhouses the 75 of us used as an office both had balconies that faced northwest so we could watch the goings on in the alley all day. It's also where we were each in turn brought up to be fired (no one jumped though).

38. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Tu Lan
    Lulus
    Le Charm French Bistro

Three excellent restaurants, but I'll have to give my top vote to Tu Lan for certain. That place knocks out some excellent grub on the cheap. Of course I might venture that Loi's deep out in the Sunset gives it a run for the money (24th Ave. Irving, I lived at 25th Irving for a good 10 years :) ).

But back to the Unity Mingle at GDC, photos are on the way y'all! I'm cropping and sorting right now so stay tuned...

39. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist