Search Unity

Unity master server and unity network for mobile game

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Fenryll, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Fenryll

Fenryll

Hi,

I have a dedicated Red Hat 6 server in the cloud (with an adobe media server for an another project that I am so sad not to be able to leverage with unity).

I need:
    - the users to be able to build their own friends lists (separate process I think with invitation mechanism handled at account level on the server)
    - the users to be able to start a game either with a friends a someone that is close to them (I’ll have to use geolocalisatiop, google api?)
    - I am currently not sure if based of geolocalisation I will allow to start a game or to propose to add the users close to you as friend (bypassing invitation process)
    - Then I need players based on their friendship and / or localisation to start a 3d network game, 2 players max, where latency won’t be a problem (it is not a race like game), I just want to ensure both 3d players coordinates / interactions to be updated smoothly and to avoid saccades…
    - I need it to work on mobile devices iOs high priority, Android medium priority

Here are my questions:
    - recommendation on the network mechanism: I understand that I could host my own unity master server on my dedicated server: is it possible with Linux / Red Hat ?
    - Correct me if I am wrong: the 2 players network mechanism is actually the game itself that could take both roles of client/server, the master server being there « only » to host the games waiting in server / hosting mode ?
    - will it work with mobile devices ?
    - how will it handle the load, I am thinking about a worldwide game ..
    - will it be possible to put criteria on the available open server games (ie. my friends, the users close to me) ?
    - if unity master server not working, is there a free alternative without any CCU constraints ? Google play ?
    - Any tip about gealocalisation will be appreciated :)

Thanks, I spend hours on the forum and on the net, but I didn’t find the graal… and I really need to optimize the little spare time I have to develop on unity, so I would like to start right :)

2. Fenryll

Fenryll

Okay, I am not that hurry, I am currently studying the feasibility of the different components of my future game... I read about the upcoming UNET starting in Unity v5. I think to build on it ..