Search Unity

Other Unity MARS 1.1 2020.x compatibility

Discussion in 'Unity MARS' started by TremensS, Sep 1, 2020.

1. TremensS

TremensS

Hello there,

Since the reveal of Unity MARS the FAQ has been stating:
    "Unity 2019.3 officially supports Unity MARS. Unity MARS will soon be compatible with Unity 2019 LTS and Unity 2020.1."

Both the 1.0.1 and 1.1.1 Requirements page on the online doc states:
    "2020.1 alpha - Not fully tested, MARS placement UI missing."

Now on the MARS 1.1 Announcement post here, I read that:
    "AR Foundation Providers
    In order to provide support for Unity 2020.2 and later, which do not support AR Foundation 2.x, we dropped the hard dependency on AR Foundation in our Unity MARS AR Foundation Providers package."

Does it imply that MARS 1.1 is now 2020.x compatible, aside from the AR Foundation 2.x thing?
    Is the placement UI mentionned in the docs still a problem?
    We've been waiting only on MARS compatibility before we make the jump to 2020, so pretty impatient to hear more precise info about this!

Thanks!
    Thomas

2. Jared_playstudios

Jared_playstudios

I was able to migrate over to 2020.1f4, using MARS 1.1.1, MARS AR Foundation 1.1.2, and AR Foundation 4.0.2, etc.

I was really eager to switch over to URP, and was able to get switched over. Didn't notice anything wrong with the samples, nor my project. I'd also like to hear the official answer, but wanted to encourage you to backup your project, and try a migration.

3. TremensS

TremensS

Hey @Jared_playstudios,
    Thanks for your feedback! Glad to hear that sounds rather good so far.

Can support officially step in to enlighten us more exhaustively on the current limitations, if any, please?

4. mtschoen

mtschoen

Unity Technologies

Hi there! Thanks for using MARS, and paying such close attention to the forums!

MARS 1.0.2 was compatible with 2020.x, and so is MARS 1.1.

The reason things changed at all is that we hit a snag when setting up our tests for the 2020.2 alpha. We encountered an issue where the MARS AR Foundation Providers package would cause errors "out of the box" because it specified AR Foundation version 2.1.8 as a dependency. On its own, it tries to pull in that version, which is not compatible with 2020.2, and you get package resolution errors.

The solve is to simply remove that "hard" dependency from the package manifest of MARS AR Foundation Providers, and to implement it as a "soft dependency," where our Assembly Definitions have version defines based on whether various versions of AR Foundation are present in the project. If no AR Foundation version is present, most of the code will simply not compile and, for all intents and purposes, the MARS AR Foundation Providers package is not active.

In order to give most users the simplest setup experience, the MARS installer now adds AR Foundation 2.1.8 in Unity 2019.x versions, and AR Foundation 3.1.3 in Unity 2020.x versions. We will continue to update this default setup as new Unity versions become available.

Users with existing projects that want to upgrade to MARS 1.1 will have to manually add AR Foundation to their project, because it was likely only included earlier as a dependency of the MARS AR Foundation Providers package.

Sorry that turned out to be a little long-winded. I hope that answers your question!

5. TremensS

TremensS

Hello @mtschoen!

Thanks for this extensive answer. That's super clear and wonderful news!

Maybe think about updating the MARS page FAQ and the requirements on the manuals for those probably like me thinking it's still worth waiting before making the jump :)

Have a great day!
    T