Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UNITY Magazine!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Thomas-Pasieka, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Hello Community,

For those of you who are not familiar with me and my work, my name is Thomas Pasieka. I'm a professional 3D Graphics Artist and the CEO of 3D Attack - The CINEMA 4D Magazine: http://www.3dattack.net

Established in January of 2004, 3D Attack – The CINEMA 4D Magazine is an electronic publication delivered to thousands of readers monthly. 3D Attack follows the same format as traditionally printed magazines you find in bookstores and on newsstands, but offers the ease of having it delivered to our reader’s e-mailbox instantly in a .PDF file.

With a dedicate staff of 12 professional Graphics Artists, 3D Attack – The CINEMA 4D Magazine provides quality articles, educational tutorials, artist spotlights and interviews, product reviews, prize giveaways and more to thousands of Computer Graphics enthusiasts, professionals and studios monthly.

I've said all of this to say, we are currently in the process of establishing an electronic, bi-monthly magazine for the UNITY user base and are recruiting tutorial and content writers. These writers would of course be financially compensated for their work.

If you are interested in writing for UNITY MAGAZINE, please feel free to contact me at tom@3dattack.net.

We are very excited to bring the UNITY user base a magazine of their very own in the near future.

Best Regards,

Thomas Pasieka
    CEO - 3D Attack
    www.3dattack.net
    tom@3dattack.net

2. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

We're thrilled about this new magazine and wish you all the best.

d.

3. odo

odo

Wow that is great news! As a Unity newbie and faithfull 3D-attack reader I'm very happy with this new magazine! Bring it on!!

4. Venkman

Venkman

Hell yeah, Thomas! Keep it coming! Sign me up for the mag. :)

5. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Nice initiative, I'll be subscribing.

Cheers

~t

6. drJones

drJones

i'll be subscribing too. very exciting ; )

7. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Excellent news, let me know if/how/when I can help out!

8. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Great to see that so many people are interested in this :) I got a lot of e-mails from folks wanting to contribute. Thanks everybody! Whoever else thinks he is up for that and has some talent in writing should not hesitate to write me.

Thanks everybody! I believe this is a great opport(unity) for everyone involved to teach and show their skills.

Thomas

9. jamie

jamie

looking forward to subscribing too

10. Garen

Garen

Me three!

11. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Given the quality I've seen from the 3D Attack magazine I think this is going to be a really great endeavor. I can't wait to see the first issue!

Maybe we all should post some ideas for topics/articles we'd like to see in this new mag? I would love to see an article about how to go about scripting a simple rhythm based game. Or maybe one on how to fake portal culling. Or how about an article on how to script an online high score system similar to Yoggy's MegaPixel?

I've already noticed some posts recently that say, "hey, that should go in the new magazine," instead of the usual, "hey, that should go up on the WIKI." So people are obviously excited about this and if we all input our ideas into the direction that this magazine could take I think it could turn out to be a really great asset to the community.

12. AaronC

AaronC

The artwork side alone will be cutting edge if any of the photos on this forum are anything to go by...
    AC

13. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Thanks again for the encouraging words guys. I really believe this would be a great asset to the already excellent community and resources OTEE has to offer. Many people wrote me wanting to contribute to the magazine. I appreciate this a lot! Thanks guys! Here is my little request now for you:

Those who wrote me and talked to me should prepare some notes on what they would like to contribute so I can generate a little list. This would be necessary. Please e-mail me your notes and ideas on future tutorials/ideas. I will then reply to your e-mail with further instructions.

Thanks and till then!

Thomas

14. VeganApps

VeganApps

15. jeremyace

jeremyace

Sounds awesome. I think it's about time that we had content like this for Unity... Now we need a book ;-)

-Jeremy

16. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Well the magazine is coming along slowly but steady. I got 3 people that wrote a tutorial and they are great. However, a few others wrote me that showed interest but I haven't heard back from them. I would like to get 2 more writers into the team. Actually, I am also looking for something specific:

"Lightmapping with Maya/Unity!" - A worklflow on how to archive good looking lightmaps.

If anyone feels like joining in then simply contact me.

Thomas

17. BigPowerfulMedia

BigPowerfulMedia

um... Where do I subscribe? Huh? Is it done yet? Huh? Is it? Huh? huh??! *hands wadded up cash to whomever handles subscriptions*

:eek:

18. AaronC

AaronC

Garen did nice lightmaps for his nature scene...they look really weird on their own but look great ingame. Maybe you could PM him? Id like to learn how he did it...Garen?
    AC

19. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Hi guys,

Due to a loss in our family I am currently not able to finish the magazine. We hope that the first issue will be out in a few weeks though.

Thomas

20. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Sorry about the loss Thomas. I also agre with targos I would love to learn how Garen made those light maps in his 3D app. Jeff

21. AaronC

AaronC

Condolences Thomas. By the way, your efforts here have been greatly appreciated.
    Aaron

22. drJones

drJones

sorry to hear about your loss thomas.
    we'll all be here when you come back ; )

23. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Condolences Thomas. No rush on the mag, which from the looks of things, will be great whenever it ships. I wish you and yours a strong spirit in this trying time.

24. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Hi folks,

Thanks for all your kind words and thoughts. To make things even worse...I had a bad issue with my Mac and lost pretty much all data. The internal HD was not readable anymore and every attempt to save or repair the disk failed...however..long story . I usually have a backup but that's another story.

What I would need from those involved in the process of the magazine is for them to send me their tutorial/article again. Please make sure that it is the final version you are sending me.

Yeah, tough times over here on my end...hope there is light at the end of the tunnel......

Thomas

25. Sivan_LYG

Sivan_LYG

video tutorials! Wiiiiii!

26. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

Pray that it is not a train...

27. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Ok I got one person sending me his tutorial/article again. So far so good but I haven't heard from the rest. I can't contact you since I lost all contact info etc.
    Please e-mail me guys so I can get back working on the magazine again.

Thomas

28. morgansaysthis

morgansaysthis

very very good news!!!

unity needs more tutorials, and i would feel so special if i had a unity magazine....

awsome

29. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Hi folks,

Well I have been putting together content. However, I only got 3 tutorials right now. Not really enough to create a "magazine" out of that. Involved are Sam Kalman, Joe Schulz and Andy Stark and Cavan Fyans. Due to the hectic months in the past and the circumstances I can't recall who else was interested in writing for the magazine so please contact me again if you did in the past.

Also, if you have ideas on what you would like to see in the magazine then feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with me/us. At current pace I could see the magazine running on a quaterly basis (every 3 months - 4 issues a year).

The problem is that most everybody would love to see a Unity magazine but contributers are rare. You have to help us out here folks.

Thomas

30. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Some ideas for additional content;

- Interview the OTEE guys about their recent experiences @ GDC (presuming OTEE are willing!)

- Do a "round up" article, on the variety of different interactive experiences people are using Unity for, other than just games. We've seen educational tools, architecture walkthroughs, i know there are also a few interactive kiosk / store front type projects in the works... Could be interesting to see how non-game people are using Unity.

- Developer interview. Jon at Gravick recently finished Big Bang Games, the first non-OTEE Unity game shipped, and there are also other devs working on projects with plans to go to market. Even after 10 years making games professionally, I still find 'insider looks' into the life of game devs interesting, as do many I believe.

- An article with nothing but big photos of Yoggy... Yoggy eating, Yoggy watching the tube, playing BF2, etc... let's see what makes this wunder-kind tick! :p

Seriously tho, there are plenty of 'doable' ideas to kick the magazine off...

Thinking we don't need to be a Unity guru to contribute here, just some research skills interest in Unity is enough!

What say YOU!? :D

31. drJones

drJones

postmortems on gamasutra are like crack to me, so yes i second this (or anything remotely like it ; )

i don't feel confident enough yet to write any tuts myself, but one other idea:

-unity FX tricks: like yoggy's water heat demo for example (antennatree metervera et al have also done similar cool stuff in the past), interesting techniques / scripts / shaders to accomplish a specific effect. even if it doesn't apply directly to what people are doing, for someone with no head for this sort of thing (like me), seeing how advanced stuff like this is approached is an invaluable learning tool.

32. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Cool idea. Though, understanding enough on how this was done, it would need to be a fairly tech heavy article, which might be beyond the user scope of the 1st issue (was the 1st go anyway).

If worthwhile, maybe with such an article we can start a re-curring "Tech Heavy" feature that goes into the (you guessed it!) 'heavy tech' on various things like FX, to round out the mag.

In the meantime, if you're curious, Yoggy has graciously made the project file available to aid understanding. It's definitely worth checking out.

all the more reason to contribute otherwise with some non-tut content... looks like Thomas could use some of that. And if not you Dr. Jones... then who? Mola Ram? :)

:: Casemon :: will do just about anything to post that pic...

33. drJones

drJones

hmm, like what exactly?

unfortunately, mola ram is no longer with us, he died of "long fall from broken rope bridge into crocodile infested river" syndrome. quite sad, actually...

34. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

like, oh... I don't know... maybe... something like...
    THIS!! :p

Absotively no Unity experience is required for any of those 3 ideas... else maybe a totally different idea that is Unity based without being technical. If any of those sound like fun, I'd say go for it!

35. AaronC

AaronC

Casemon wrote:
    I think I'll get the one without the centrefold of Yoggy if thats ok... :p
    AC

36. drJones

drJones

true - and doing my best barbra walters impersonation does sound like fun - but i don;t think i have the free time for that ATM. but you're right, i will try to cook something up for the next one if i can ; )

37. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

I don't do any of those things. Oh, except I do eat some times. A picture of me riding my unicycle off a cliff would be a good for arbitrary pic to take up space in a physics article though.

If you need contributions I was thinking today I should do some tutorials. But I have enough on my plate right now as it is.

38. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

I just resent you the LightMapping Tutorial.

Ethan

39. drJones

drJones

any news on this?

40. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

41. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Sorry for not replying earlier folks but I was more than busy over the last months. Anyhow, we are making progress and we will hopefully have the first issue of the magazine done within a few weeks from now on :) So stay tuned....

Thomas

42. nm8shun

nm8shun

Dying to buy this mag if it includes the Light Mapping tutorial. But time is going to be of the essence for me.....any news on release date?

43. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Bad news again. Two more family members died within 2 days. This year really SUCKS I have to say. On top of that I am swamped again with work...you guys must be getting tired of me by now. At this point I do not know when I will be able to finish the first issue. Hope you guys understand.

Thomas

44. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

edited.

My condolences Thom, hang in there.

45. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Given the circumstances I seriously doubt you'll get any grief Tom. My thoughts go out to you and your family.

46. drJones

drJones

So sorry to hear that Thomas, condolences.

47. pete

pete

oh man. sorry to hear it tom. condolences to you and yours. hang in there...

48. User340

User340

Any news on this?

49. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

I think it's Taps for the Unity magazine at this point. I would love to see the first issue come out and grow from there but Thomas has had too many other things to deal with this year besides starting a new magazine. It would be really cool if someone else was willing to take all the articles that were written for it and start it up again.

50. Samantha

Samantha

I'd like to add that in case we don't see a Unity Magazine in the near future, the content that was written for the first issue will be converted into official Unity tutorials.