Search Unity

Unity + MacOS Mojave + Xcode 10 Beta

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChazBarros, Jun 5, 2018.

1. ChazBarros

ChazBarros

Has anyone given a try on these betas? Is unity working properly?
    I can't wait to start using the new ARKIT 2.0 features, but I'm afraid to compromise my work environment.
    I'm at WWDC and I don't have access to my personal MacBookto do these kind of tests right now.

2. elbows

elbows

I'm trying Xcode 10 beta with ios 12 beta to use the new Unity ARkit2 stuff as we speak - just waiting for my phone to finish doing something.

I havent needed to try Mojave in order to do this. And when I do try Mojave, I will likely install it on an external drive, therefore not compromising my high sierra setup.

3. ChazBarros

ChazBarros

Yeap, I noticed that later. We don't need to update the macOS to install the Xcode 10.
    Thanks for your answer.

4. BTStudios

BTStudios

Any updates on how things are working with the Mojave Beta + Unity?

5. Vicachu

Vicachu

*bump*

6. torsigurdson

torsigurdson

Runs fine for me, I'm on a MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) running Unity 2017.3.1f1, the only thing you might see is pop-up warnings for programs not running in 32-bit (like MonoDevelop), but you can ignore them for now. And if you're developing for an iDevice you probably need the latest beta of Xcode to be able to create builds for them.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  7. Vicachu

Vicachu

I took the plunge and updated. It seems like Metal stopped working in the editor with my Radeon Pro 460 (MBP 2016). It works with the integrated GPU, but that's slow as all hell.

8. torsigurdson

torsigurdson

And you checked all the Metal settings under PlayerSettings? It is experimental after all.

Attached Files:

9. Vicachu

Vicachu

Yep, it was working great under High Sierra. When trying to use Metal, Unity just ends up using the integrated card.

torsigurdson likes this.
  10. John1515

John1515

Hmm but can you also run XCode 9 on Mojave? Important to deliver apps to the app store..

11. Skyler_Hawkins

Skyler_Hawkins

Any more news on if this is working better? I've been looking around and only seen one other person saying that it's not running well. I have a MacBook pro retina 2017 with touch bar and I'm wanting to update to Mojave but not if it's going to make Unity unusable.

12. gandhimena_unity

gandhimena_unity

It's not working for me, I have OS Mojave, Xcode 10 and Unity 2018.2.10 and it does not create the compiled one. T.T

13. Havokki

Havokki

After updating to Xcode 10, unloading unused assets takes several minutes. Previously it took max 2 seconds.

EDIT:
    Tested Unity versions: 2018.2.6, 2018.2.9
    Tested iOS versions: 8.x, 12.0.0, 12.0.1
    Tested devices: iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 7, iPad Mini Retina, iPad Mini (not sure if retina or not)

EDIT2: It seems that whenever resources are unloaded, both the main thread and UnityGfxDeviceWorker are both at very high CPU usage.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  14. mitchmeyer1

mitchmeyer1

Just installed Mojave - Unity wont even start for me (in addition to Safari, Skype and more). Seems like half my apps wont even boot up anymore. Unity gets stuck on the initial pop up of recent projects. It is blank and says 'loading'. Anyone else have issues like this. Not really trying to revert to High Sierra but i might have to at this point