Search Unity

Unity looks great. Too bad....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D1NG0, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigsofty

bigsofty

I don't really understand why anyone who uses computer A should be so perturbed by a computer B user asking for a version for their computer?

Any ways, I will not be getting Unity till a Windows version comes out and if it does not, then I will not... simple.

2. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Sorry if someone seems to get disturbed by the idea. We (the developers) are not.

We understand your sentiment, and mourn your loss. It's simple a question of limited resources in the world. We started out with what little capital we could convince people to lend us, and what we could do in the 24 hours that the clock has. We focused our skills (and long long nights) on a constrained problem: to create a wonderfully cool tool to make cross-platform games, both both on-line and off-line distribution.

We've been growing since the release of Unity 1.0 in June 2005, and are getting resources to expand and work with incredibly skilled and hard-working people. But stil we don't have the solution to all problems yet.

Some things had to be cut along the way, and some things just aren't done.

For now you're welcome to look around at the competition: my guess is that by the time you've saved up for them (the more expensive ones) or gotten them to compile (the more, ehrm, source-based ones), you will have wasted more time (= money) by not buying buy a single Mac to run Unity.

I think this holds, even while ignoring the (subjective) merits of various operating systems

Either way, good luck with your projects. And of course we hope to see you around.

d.

PS. I guess we should ask people not to chime in with further opinions on the merits of Macs and PCs... at least not in this thread :)

3. taumel

taumel

The sooner a win-port is there, the sooner these discussions will end...*hommm*

4. Lallander

Lallander

Or the sooner we start locking them ;)

5. taumel

taumel

6. ViikZZz

ViikZZz

Hello Unity Community! [Sounds great :)]

I can understand D1NGO's emotions. Maybe he was upset because he knew that Unity IDE for Mac's only when he tryed to get trial :) You know why? Because I got same issue today, when started downloading trial version. I saw file with DMZ exstension - "What a hell!, what i'll do with it" and then readed this:
    System Requirements
    Mac OS X "Panther" 10.3.9 or later
    :eek:

I didnt know that Unity IDE is for Mac's only. This is not pointed in features. :?

For me it dosnt look so "horrible" to buy one Mac for Unity. But first I want to try it. Things like "Unity is really great" dosnt say anything to me. Besides now we using Quest3D, and it's something more close to Unity than to other game engines.

Now it looks like there is no way for me to try Unity and become another Mac user. It's not feaseble to buy Mac only for looking at Unity more deeper. :(

Hope to see Unity IDE on Windows :wink:

PS: One of the declared features of Unity is "Friendly community", please dont ruin it.

7. drJones

drJones

hello viik

yeah, i think the confusion comes from the mention of windows "player" support. the unity editor will be on windows eventually though, as you can see here they're looking to hire for it:

http://unity3d.com/company/jobs.html

from what i've heard in other posts its no small task, but just fyi that it is in the works. anyway, welcome, and if you can get on a mac through friends or family definitly give it a spin ; )

8. Willem

Willem

Personally, I would love to see Unity stay a Mac product and have Windows deployment as a side feature. I like being able to talk on a forum with a smaller group of dedicated people who are primarily Mac users.

Maybe it's elitest (in fact, I'm sure that it is) but I enjoy the Mac-centric aspect of Unity. It's not that I don't like Windows, it's just that Windows has so many other game engines and languages and libraries -- why not let the Mac retain something awesome for itself?

Let the Windows users switch if they want Unity. :)

9. Lallander

Lallander

Why isn't this thread locked by now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.