Search Unity

Unity License Eligibility

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Shereenh, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Shereenh

Shereenh

I'm an offshore contractor (freelancer) achieving 3D visualisation purposes for a company.

One of my tasks is to use Unity editor to export Unity packages, in addition to another tasks for the company (Unity irrelevant).

If my company doesn't provide me with a pro license as I believe it earns >200,000$ annually.

Also, one of my tasks is to train new hires which I believe they won't buy a pro license afterwards.

Known that my annual income <100,000$ annually.

Can I have a discount or a voucher to buy my own license, if so, how?

Also, I know that training hires may violate the terms. In this case, which is better, to buy a license only for myself or quit my job completely? Known that the company is having Unity artists with no pro license paid whether or not I work with them.

I need a guidance about this legally and ethically.

Thanks

2. If you're truly a contractor and not an employee AND you do not open their project in your editor, then based on the answer I linked below I think you can use whatever Unity license fits your case (if you made < $100k last year, personal and < $200k plus, and Pro above). You do need to be careful with third-party assets though.
    https://support.unity.com/hc/en-us/...fferent-subscription-tier-to-develop-my-game-
    If you have doubts, contact Unity Support.

I'm not feeling the authority to give ethical advice, do whatever you feel right.

RonaldFazio and Schneider21 like this.
  3. RonaldFazio

RonaldFazio

Thanks for the advice.