Search Unity

Unity Level Editor Of Choice

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by LeonardWatts, May 13, 2014.

?

Preferred Unity Level Editor

1. Platinum Arts Sandbox In Game Editor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Maya

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Blender 3D

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. GTKRadiant

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Other (please specify)

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. LeonardWatts

LeonardWatts

I'm new to Unity and I noticed it doesn't have a dedicated level editor. As a level designer myself of many years I'm always looking for a nice level editor in an engine I'm using. I'm curious as to what people's level editors of choice are for Unity. I have seen that a lot of people use Maya and Blender but isn't map making tedious in it? I suppose some of the random map gen stuff I've seen for Blender might be interesting. I have also heard that some people use the more game development version of Cube 2 called Platinum Arts Sandbox to do the level editing since it has in game editing and you can type /writeobj to make it an .obj that imports into Unity. Also I guess some people use GTK Radiant? I loved GTKradiant back in the Doom 3 days.

So in any case I'm just curious to know what people like to use and why :) Thank you for your time!
    Leonard

2. saymoo

saymoo

Afaik:
    There is no third party editor available. You can extend the editor with new behaviors and such, but not using a third party one (as a sole tool).
    However, you CAN ofcourse create level parts (like terrain) in a different tool and import it.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Unitys default editor works just fine for me. It lacks certain things here and there, but with couple of editor scripts it's okay. There are also extensions on asset store like Probuilder that let you block in and texture geo straight inside unity, similar to BSP tools in source and unreal.

4. TheSniperFan

TheSniperFan

For terrains I mainly use World Machine. When I need more control, I create the basic shape in Blender/Sculptris, then render it in Blender and export the heightmap to World Machine.

For structures I use SketchUp and Blender. SketchUp is pretty much unbeatable when it comes to create buildings and other objects that consist of primitive geometry. So in a way it's similar to Hammer (Source Engine), just waaaaay better.
    I then use the Mesh2Collider script from the wiki. When you have simple stuff like boxes, it creates a box-collider that fits perfectly. The result is much faster than a mesh collider.

5. k-pedersen

k-pedersen