Search Unity

Resolved Unity Learning Path Kitchen Scene Baked Lightmaps looking bad

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by amirmehmood, Jan 28, 2022.

1. amirmehmood

amirmehmood

Hello Community,

this is my first post on this forum. I am totally new to Unity Engine.

Currently i am doing the lerning path and i loaded the Kitchen Scene.
    But the shadows are looking very ugly please see this screenshot.
    I am note sure but i think the shadows are some how baked or what ever you call it.

my quetion is how can i get rid of thease ugly looking patches form the objects.

it would be nice i could turn on real time shadow without baking or so.

Baked lighting looking bad.JPG

Thank you very much in advance for any help is welcome.

2. amirmehmood

amirmehmood

okay i found a solution to this problem.
    I went to Global Lighting setting and disabled the Global baked illumination. then i changed under the directional light the mode to realtime

howto get to the Global Lighting setting in Unity 2020
    howto get to the Global Lighting setting.jpg

Turn off the Baked Global Illumination feature.
    Global Lighting Setting.JPG

select your directional Light and change mode to realtime.
    Directional Light Setting.JPG

Attached this later:
    this is the result in realtime with new Materials assigned to the object.
    Realtime Shadow.jpg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
  3. DSivtsov

DSivtsov

1. You didn't show the new result.
    2. With GI (Global Illumination) :) not so simple:
    The final result of rendering of some object based on "type" of object (dynamic/static), lights which are used in rendering and the selected type creation GI (Baked/Runtime) include huge bunch of its parameters.
    And for different objects are used different settings.
    Therefore the solutions for deciding the problem of "ugly shadows" can be many :) not only simply change GI to Runtime, but it really can help in some cases, but it's not the most efficient way "for real game". (Exist some bunch of project where the Unity Experts show as more efficiently use the different Unity Lighting possibility).
    P.S>
    :) And you didn't give basic information - which rendering pipeline you use in your project, the decision may depend on it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  4. amirmehmood

amirmehmood

Hello DSivtsov,
    thank you for the reply, actually at that moment i did not really know about how to finde out what render pipeline i am using and what baking is all about. there where somany questionmarks in my head.:)
    After watching endless tutorials and doing research i know a little bit more about unity's render pipelines and baked shadows.

I am using URP High Render pipeline.
    RenderPipeline.jpg

First of all you can actually do clear the baked data. To get rid of baked shadows.
    Clear Baked Data.png

Then i think avoid using same Material over and over again. this will some how bake the shadows on the same UV plane for different objects. and you will see shadows of other object on the UV plane. if this is not so please explain more.

After i have created more Materials and assigned them to different gameobject separatly then i turned the GI.
    Baked Global Illumination On.png

Then i baked the shadows again with following settings.
    Global Lighting Setting fix.JPG

and finally this is the result. with GI on.

After GI on and different Materials assigned.jpg

after this i also tested with Real time lighting with GI of. the artifects do not show any more.

5. DSivtsov

DSivtsov

Yes. The last variants are good. The main aim of my message was to note that your problem wasn't use the Backed GI, but in wrong its settings, which are more complex compare to settings which you are you using with Realtime GI.
    And don't forget that the setting which responsible was for Backing GI (and Realtime GI also) not only at "Lighting page", also at "Grapic project setting (Quality)", at the "Render settings" and also the some special settings are set in the GameObject settings individually.
    I recommend the very good video
    (from Unity) and
    (from some VideoBloger) which on the example of the real scenes (URP) are show the process of tuning the Lighting (include Backed GI)

6. rockycham

rockycham

furnished kitchen with stone wall
    The kitchen, as some say, is the heart of the home. It is where meals are prepared and where family and friends gather for various joyous occasions. That being said, a kitchen should be a reflection of not only someone's personal style but also of their personality and the kind of impression they want to create.
    visit https://edstoneinc.com for more

One of the many ways you can add to this is by giving your kitchen a rustic look. Rustic can be anything which is simple yet old fashioned from warm wooden shades to a raw wrought iron look. Rustic styles give emphasis on a rugged and natural look and also shows a persona that is stylish and yet wants to embrace the raw side. Simple and earthy colours are the basis of this style, ultimately giving an unpretentious, organic vibe. It spells out an ‘I like to keep it real’ attitude.