Search Unity

Unity lagging, freezing when editing Prefab (via "Open" button)

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by sergiusz308, Oct 2, 2019.

1. sergiusz308

sergiusz308

Hi there, experiencing constant lagging and freezing of the Unity editor when I am in prefab edition mode.

Lighting is broken in the editor window as well while editing prefab.

No matter how prefab is complex / simple - happens every time.

What's going on?

IMC-Lab likes this.
  2. MafiaMoe

MafiaMoe

Try hiding the Inspector window when you are not making changes to the prefab, and then switch to it when you need to make a change. It will still be slow when making a change, but at least it is usable until a fix comes around.

This has been happening to us now for months, making the prefab workflow a headache at times. In our case it seems to occur when a prefab exceeds a certain complexity and the Inspector window is open. If I recall correctly this started happening when we updated to 2019.1. We are currently using 2019.2.9.

sergiusz308 likes this.
  3. runevision

runevision

If you have Auto Save turned on, try turning it off and see if this helps.

gabpan1975 likes this.
  4. sergiusz308

sergiusz308

@runevision "Auto Save" - what do you mean?

p.s. Just crashed, while editing prefab... Unable to send a bug report, because it says "cannot create archive and read file". Unity, you're running on the edge with such quality of the production grade software.

5. runevision

runevision

6. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Hi @runevision

we are having issues with editing prefabs. There seems to be an issue with the prefab system. Currently in Unity 2019.2.10 selecting child object starts lagging the editor and if you keep selecting objects then the editor freezes in a while ! Is there any known issue or reports about that and if so when we will get fixes. We have to use older versions of Unity for asset store packs ! I can record a video to prove !

EDIT : also it does not matter how you open the prefab !

Here is a screenshot of the lagging.

Thanks !

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  7. sergiusz308

sergiusz308

@runevision AutoSave does not help. I noticed that if I switch lighting off then it starts lagging like hell, ocasionally freezing editor for couple of seconds. Video attached.

First lighting enabled (everything is black by the so lighting is broken as well) and editor is responsive.
    Then I turn off lighting and lagging begins

Unity 2019.2.12f1, project is HDRP most recent version

prefab_editing_no_lighting_lagging.gif

8. runevision

runevision

That doesn't sound like it's related to Prefabs.

In any case, we at Unity can't investigate issues just based on forum descriptions; we need bug reports.

In case you're on Mac, I've seen issues like this coming from the Input System (which also handles input for the editor).

9. sergiusz308

sergiusz308

@runevision It have nothing to do with input system, besides it's Windows - lag manifests also in freezing during Unity Editor interactions, like objects selection or trying to change anything in Inspector.

So you're saying that when you edit prefab in 2019.2.12f, with lighting bulb off, there's nothing like this happening?

10. runevision

runevision

If you mean me specifically, then correct, it does not happen for me. Hence why we need bug reports to be able to investigate.

11. runevision

runevision

Please post the case numbers here when you've reported these issues as bug reports. Thanks. To be clear NOTHING WILL BE DONE if you just keep talking about the issues here but don't file bug reports.

Peter77 likes this.
  12. MafiaMoe

MafiaMoe

13. Vita-

Vita-

Unity Technologies

Hello @MafiaMoe, sharing this URL will give others access to all information you share with us. So we cannot prevent others from viewing all your support cases and bug reports. Could you please edit the message and leave the case number only.

Thanks,
    Vita

14. Phillyphus

Phillyphus

I have this same problem, sad to see MariaMoe's report closed with no resolution. I can confirm this problem exists on 2019.2.9f1 through 2020.1.0a24. I'll open a bug report.

runevision likes this.
  15. runevision

runevision

Thanks. QA could not reproduce the issue in the referenced case and they were not able to get clarification on how to repro. A new bug report is most welcome; hopefully QA can reproduce that one.