Search Unity

Unity Labs available for download.

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by drcharlesunity, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

So majestic mustache and fabulous hair huh. . . ???

2. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

@drcharlesunity Can I propose something? Sometimes professional people have questions that are not covered in the documentation and which are still no bugs.
    For reference: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/binding-warning-humanoid-generic.347942/
    Can you set up a thread where people can ask such kind of questions and where Unity professionals take care of these questions?
    I feel that this is a necessity.
    I don't want to spam the bug report with this.
    Thank you for considering my proposal.

3. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

4. SimoneDunzendorfer

SimoneDunzendorfer

Unity released this nice Labs projects.
    We are all getting horribly low fps.

What did that actually want to show us?
    That Unity is not ready for next-gen games yet?

This is not a sarcastic question.

Does Unity use this game demo to see what they need to change to get acceptable frame rates?

I am asking because I am just in the same situation: My game looks good, but the frame rates are horrible.
    And there are no further discussions on this thread so I don't know what Unity plans about it.
    I was hoping that Unity would keep posting information about it and perhaps release updates and give hints about optimization.

TwiiK likes this.
  5. TwiiK

TwiiK

I'm also curious. It was stated in May that updates to this project were underway:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-labs-available-for-download.315877/page-2#post-2121261

What happened? Is the project forgotten or just ignored?

It's by far the most comprehensive and impressive example project you have made. It would be a shame if it was forever left as an "unoptimized mess".

Especially considering how easy it was for me to squeeze som massive performance boosts out of the project by just fiddling with it for a few hours:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-labs-available-for-download.315877/#post-2053163

6. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hi all

Thanks for keeping this thread moving. Basically we put Labs on hold whilst we tackled a number of other tasks, moved departments and worked on training day and some VR Samples too (nearly ready).

We plan to go back to labs and optimise further as well as add two new characters and a new buddy bot we've created. The Labs v2 will incorporate new image effects we've been working to ensure work well and to scale and hopefully will be something that performs a lot better than our first release. Apologies for not following up sooner on this thread and on the project in general, we're a small team here at Unity so have been pretty stacked - I appreciate that's never a useful answer anyone wants to hear!

Will

7. TwiiK

TwiiK

No problem. That sounds awesome.

I have some plans for the Unity Labs project, but I wanted to wait until you updated it and I wasn't sure whether or not that would actually happen. Nice to know it's actually coming. :)

8. SimoneDunzendorfer

SimoneDunzendorfer

Thank you! It would be extremely useful if you post about the update process. I loved the way the Blacksmith people talked about everything they did. When it comes to performance optimization this would be really useful.

9. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

One question about the new image effect i noticed that there's an unfinished ScreenSpace SSS in Unity labs, is this gonna be improved?

10. TwiiK

TwiiK

Is there a time frame for the Unity Labs update? I realize I've been posting a lot about this, but in its current state the Unity Labs project is pretty poor, and it's over half a year since you put it on the Asset Store. At the moment it feels like there will never be an update to it which would be a shame. But I would at least like to know because if that's the case I'll just fiddle with the version we've already been given.

11. alex4unity

alex4unity

this project is not in shape anymore... just updated to 5.3 and I cant even use the elevator anymore... textrues and lighting look very awkward!

12. Schneider21

Schneider21

Never got around to downloading Unity Labs before, and wanted to take 5.4 for a spin in it only to discover the asset has been deprecated and is not available for download now.

@Aurore @willgoldstone any update on the status of v2?

Thomas-Mountainborn likes this.
  13. Distant_Temples

Distant_Temples

I'm faced with a similar issue. But I did download it when it was available. Now it is not listed in my downloads.

14. clement09

clement09

Hi,
    the link said the assets is not available :(

I want to use some assets of this scene to learn how create a sci-fi environement.
    Do you know when it will be available again ?

15. Delessar

Delessar

Hello!
    Still same problem, the asset is not downloadable :(
    Is it available even in the deprecated state? It would be awesome material for teaching :D

16. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

@Delessar @clement09 @Distant-Temples @Schneider21

I'm guessing Unity ultimately decided this project was just too large and unmanageable to keep supporting and thought their efforts could be better used elsewhere, at least for now. It's also important to note that the project was made for Unity 5.0 and uses many obsolete features and code that will probably cause many errors upon import into the latest version of Unity. Hence the reason it was deprecated.

However, for those still interested in checking it out despite all that I've uploaded the package here. BIG WARNING: This asset is obsolete and unsupported! So please don't contact Unity if you have any issues (which you surely will) with it. So use it at your own risk, but feel free to ask questions here in the forums if you really get stuck.

17. Delessar

Delessar

You are a saver good sir! Thank you so much!
    I was planning on going through all the code / assets and see what I learn from that (and can then teach)

18. Distant_Temples

Distant_Temples

Thanks Isaiah!

19. TwiiK

TwiiK

I just downloaded Unity Labs from the Asset Store (I have it because it downloaded it before it was deprecated), imported it into a fresh Unity 5.5.2 project, precomputed the lighting and ran it perfectly with zero errors. Why was this deprecated? And when is it coming back?

Feels like something 1 person could keep up to date and even continuously add features to while only dedicating a couple of hours a month to it. I could even be that person if it was possible in some way.

This still is one of the best resource projects you've made for higher quality graphics stuff. I downloaded it again because I knew there was a lot of cool detail textures, particle textures etc. in it.

It's such a shame that you just release projects like these that are basically gold mines when it comes to reusable assets, workflow examples etc. etc. and then never dedicate any time to them ever again or worse yet, in this case, remove them.

And I still have an idea for a small project to make based on the Unity Labs, but you said you were working on an improved version so I postponed it. That was 1 or 2 years ago, is this still the case? Or may I as well just use the Unity Labs I have for my project?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  20. chusmaverde

chusmaverde

You are a life saver! I have been looking for this asset for awhile. Thanks a lot :)

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks @IsaiahKelly !

I'm right now downloading it for Unity 5.6.0f3; just for the fun because I find it a pity that some projects that look great are deprecated. Whatever their state, they can be a valuable source of information and learning. ;)

22. kahvana166

kahvana166

23. TwiiK

TwiiK

Cool.

I'm currently fiddling with the Unity Labs project and it's honestly a bit lazy of Unity not to host it officially and/or to update it. It takes literally 15 minutes to upgrade this project to Unity 2018 and to get it working perfectly (or at least as good as it has ever worked).

The assets and functionality in this project are still some of the best Unity has ever released. And they are so much fun to play with, tweak and build upon.

It's a shame we never got the updated version they teased either. It was clearly made because they released a video of it alongside the new (now very old) image effects, but the project was never released. Although I must say I quite strongly prefer the art direction in the original project compared to the updated they showed in the video.

kahvana166 likes this.
  24. Drake4

Drake4

I am looking for the utils, but can't find any working link. Based on the documentation this contains some Functions which are exactly what I need. Does anybody know how to get them?