Search Unity

Unity keeps creating an editor log file up to 62 GB in size, can't even open it to see the logs

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by TheCelt, Sep 26, 2019.

1. TheCelt

TheCelt

I have the editor open, its not in play mode and not debug logging anything. As i was watching some TV for about 1 hour, I came back to find I've run out hard drive space and so i checked:

upload_2019-9-26_1-16-18.png

This has happened 4 times now, and it does not seem to be all that predictable. Some times it happens other times it doesn't.

I don't know how to open the file to read the contents because its so large... This has got to be a bug at this point with the editor itself and its making unity unusable.

What are my options here, its too big to submit a bug report, i can't open it to see the cause either.

Unity Version: 2019.2.5f1

2. dgoyette

dgoyette

I'd look for some software that can tail the logfile rather than try to fully open it. I use mTail, and I think it shouldn't be an issue to tail the file.

I'm sure you're aware, but you can safely delete the Editor log if Unity is closed. But figuring out the issue is understandably important.

3. On windows download Notepad++, open the file, examine what is the problem, fix it or submit a bug report if it's Unity's problem. Notepad++ only reads the part of the file which is in the editor window so it does not try to keep the whole file in memory.