Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity keeps crashing... more than normal

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Chaoss@Perdition, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Chaoss@Perdition

Chaoss@Perdition

Usually it only crashes 20 - 30 times a session, but reciently it crashes after moving around in "play" mode, there is no specific time frame when it crashes or no specific area it just goes BOOM, exits and crashes with Unity Bug reporter

Also on startup it takes 4 to 5 goes to get Unity to start because of the GetThreadContext error thingy.
    Are they ever going to fix this engine?

2. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Huh? Sounds like you've got some serious issues there. If you create a new project, does it still crash? If so it's likely a hardware issue. What OS are you using? I'm using 3.2 under Windows 7 64 bit and on my biggest projects Unity crashes maybe once a week. Either you've got some really bad code, a hardware issue, or something else is going on.

3. Chaoss@Perdition

Chaoss@Perdition

It happens whether it's a new project or not, the motherboard is brand new (but it did this on my old one so it's not that), I have 2 GTX 470's (not in the computer at the same time) I've tried both of them and get the same results

4. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

What about your hard drive? Have you run tests on it? If you're using Windows 7, have you checked your file permissions? If you're running 64 bit, have you installed the hot fix? Lastly, what virus scanner are you using? I had constant crashing when using AVG Free and had to try a couple different virust scanners before I found one that worked. Does your system still crash if you turn off the virus scanner? Unity definitely shouldn't crash that much.

5. Infeecctteedd

Infeecctteedd

^ That.

6. Chaoss@Perdition

Chaoss@Perdition

What hotfix is this? and yeh I'm running 64 bit, I also use nod32

7. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

When you launch Unity 3.2+ with a Windows 64 bit OS you should have seen a caution screen that has a link to the hot fix. Whether the hot fix fixes anything or not is up for debate (there was a thread here on that subject). The most likely cause, IMO, is the virus scanner and is the easiest to test for. Turn off your virus scanner and if the crashes go away, then that's your cause.