Search Unity

Unity JS TextMate Bundle?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by thylaxene, May 17, 2007.

1. thylaxene

thylaxene

Hi All TextMate users,

I've finally updated the TextMate Unity JavaScript bundle to support Unity 2.1.

Please back up the old one before installing this one, just in case! Also note to do a clean install of this bundle first remove the old one from /Users/yourName/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Bundles/ as TextMate seems to append when updating bundles... a bit annoying.

I've also added the first revision of code completion to the bundle. Start typing a word and hit Option+Escape and a list of functions/classes/enumerations will pop up. Unfortunately this is as close as it gets to auto code completion in TextMate 1.57. So hopefully when 2 is released they'll have some kick arse approach! :wink:

It's still a bit of a work in progress. I still need to add more function information to each function/class so you can then use "Documentation for Function Call (tool tip)", Control-Option-Escape to get some info to help remember what properties that function is expecting.

I've also added a documentation link to Microsoft's online API for looking up those useful .NET/Mono functions.

I've also cleaned up the syntax sets so that they work with the default TextMate syntax colours. Sorry to those who've already setup a nice colour set based of the old bundle.

[EDITED] Added support for Unity iPhone and for these helpful 3rd party utilities: AniMate and SpriteManager.

Enjoy.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

I just converted the Unity parts of Emanuel's C# bundle to work with JavaScript. I also added a snippet for Debug.Log (log<tab>). Find the bundle here. Please let me know if anything needs fixing.

3. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

Ok, that sort of whet my appetite for snippet making, so I've added macros for Update(), FixedUpdate(), Start(), typed variables, RequireComponent and AddComponentMenu. It's available at the original location.

4. thylaxene

thylaxene

cool thanks. I ended up making my own as well. I will look at yours and combine the best of both and post here.

Cheers.

5. thylaxene

thylaxene

[EDITED] See top post.

Cheers.

6. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

textMate's not doing anything for me with the unzipped Unity JavaScript.tmbundle when I double click on it. :cry:

7. thylaxene

thylaxene

see above. hopefully that fixed it

cheers.

8. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Now I get a error dialogue box at least ...

Bundle is Corrupt
    The bundle Unity JavaScript.tmbundle does not contain the required info.plist file (or that file is corrupt) and can therefore not be installed.
    [Continue]

9. thylaxene

thylaxene

see above hopefully it works now...

[EDIT] it works. just tried it on a fresh install of TextMate.

:D

10. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Yup, works fine now here too. Thanks! textMate now set as my default editor.

11. milkytreat

milkytreat

verfied working! huzzuh!

12. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Yup, many many thanks Jon! I've been wanting to use TextMate as the editor since I bought it in the Macheist bundle. Superb! Hapy now.

13. jeffcraighead

jeffcraighead

How do you use the autocomplete?

Jeff

14. thylaxene

thylaxene

start typing the word, then hit the escape key.

Cheers.

15. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

Cool. Do you know how to get it to used the local documentation? I tried changing the path, but it comes up with a blank page.

Edit: got this from here:
    Code (csharp):
    1. ref=${TM_SELECTED_TEXT}
    2. UNITYDOC="/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Documentation/Documentation/ScriptReference/$ref.html"
    4. if [[ -f "$UNITYDOC" ]]
    5.    then [[ -n "$UNITYDOC" ]]  exit_show_html "<meta http-equiv='Refresh' content='0;URL=tm-file://$UNITYDOC'>"
    6.    else echo "No Unity documentation found for: $TM_SELECTED_TEXT"
    7. fi
    It's better in two ways: it uses the local docs, and it goes directly to the documentation rather than doing a search. Although maybe it should do a search if it can't find the actual file. I'll look into that.

16. thylaxene

thylaxene

Yes I know about the local documentation. The reason I changed it on my machine is because it didn't always work reliably. So I changed it to the web version.

Cheers.

17. taumel

taumel

What's better if you use TextMate instead of Unitron if you use it together with Unity?

18. seon

seon

One of the best features is the project wide find replace. It rocks. You cna also work within a project and outside a project at the same time, so you can for instance have the same car.js script open from 2 unity projects and clearly see and tell which is which.

19. taumel

taumel

Hmm okay is the find based on grep?

20. seon

seon

I don't know.. I didn't write it... email the TextMate people.

21. taumel

taumel

I thought it might be written in the docs or you can see it if such commands are defined as macros for instance...anyway thanks!

22. thylaxene

thylaxene

it has full support for Regular Expressions. And I found it very easy to use it to strip out unwanted characters, etc. I used its regex engine to strip out all the HTML tag info from the index of classes/method names in the online Untiy docs and wrap it in XML to use in the JS bundle. :wink:

Cheers.

23. taumel

taumel

okidoki

24. thylaxene

thylaxene

just bumping. as I've updated the bundle for Unity 2. See my first post.

Cheers.

25. Richard_B

Richard_B

The other really useful thing I find with Textmate is the TODO bundle - very useful for keeping track of changes, fixes, todo's etc.

Richard.

PS Thanks for the js bundle!

26. DocSWAB

DocSWAB

Thanks a lot Jon -- I'd been pulling in bits and pieces, and it's nice to add yours in.

One thing I noticed on the AutoComplete list -- they got rid of the hard numberd Custom GUI Styles -- they are all just members of the Custom array now (Documentation is wrong on this).

Cheers,
    Steve

27. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Thanks much Jon!

28. Neural Echo

Neural Echo

Looks good, thanks Jon.

Is TextMate able to parse multiple project files for programmer defined classes and their associated methods/functions and variables, and then use that information for auto-completion?

29. dock

dock

Just discovered and downloaded this! Thanks a lot! ^_^

30. podperson

podperson

Thanks for your efforts all -- I've just started using TextMate with Unity, but it's worth noting that TextWrangler (the free version of BBEdit) has directory-wide search and replace (using grep). It's a shame that the escape key triggers autocomplete, I find it both unintuitive (although I can learn) and slow. RealBasic's or Coda's intellisense-style autocomplete is light-years ahead (neither require you to do anything to see suggested matches).

Maybe TextMate 2.x.

31. thylaxene

thylaxene

I've updated the bundle. Look at the very first post.

Cheers.

32. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Anyone know if it would be possible to run a command-line program to assist the code completion script? If so, it would be possible to add full code completion via reflection.

33. thylaxene

thylaxene

Well the code completion script is already using a ruby script to work... so in theory it already using command line. But the problem is I can't see anywhere in TM where you can hook into 'while user is typing run this script' sort of thing. Which is the sort of code completion people are after with TM. The TM developer has already said that isn't possible in the current version of TM.

I do have code completion running in skEdit (http://www.skti.org/skedit/) for Unity, which does pop up suggestions while you're typing. But unfortunately there are still some limitations in skEdit that in my mind make it less useful as the external text editor for Unity then TM.

Cheers.

34. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Hm. I guess we'll have to wait around for TM2. Is the release one of the fouler "soon (tm)" announcements or could it be expected to be sometime within three months for instance?

35. Lab013

Lab013

You ROCK! Love the bundle, thanks!

36. potan

potan

thylaxene, any plan to add/update with Iphone related function ??

btw this bundle is super AWESOME !!
    saves me from lots of typing :D

37. thylaxene

thylaxene

Yes I will now that I have an iphone license.

Cheers.

38. thylaxene

thylaxene

39. potan

potan

niceee....
    thanks a lot thylaxene 8)

40. S.T.

S.T.

Is it possible to do the code completion on keyboard shortcut? ("ctrl-space" preferably...)

41. thylaxene

thylaxene

It's pretty easy to change that yourself to whatever combo you want using the Bundle Editor under the Bundles menu. But if enough people ask for I will change it in the default bundle.

Cheers.

42. horsman

horsman

I've got code completion working for Classes defined anywhere in the Textmate project. They only complete the class names though.

I am not sure if reflection would work because some classes might not compile (particularly the one that you are typing in). Furthermore, you would need the user to have the program that finds the completions.

It seems possible, but also like much work. If you could supply me with a C# program that takes:
    current word,
    current type,
    and a file that has the class definition for that type (unless it it a built in type, in which case you find it)
    and returns a list of possible completions, I can put it into textmate. It should fail gracefully and produce no output if no completions are found or the file searched does not compile.

43. horsman

horsman

I forgot to attach my Bundle!

EDIT: Just noticed the updates the OP made. Need to add them in too.

EDIT EDIT: Also noticed that for some reason I lost the documentation lookup and other things that derived from the old Unity Javascript Bundle. More update tomorrow.

This zip contains two bundles: C#, and Unity.
    The Unity bundle is an amalgamation of the Unity (Javascript) and C# (Unity) Bundles as well as Neal Carter's Unity Bundle. It attempts to replace all three. It includes autoComplete (C#) support for Class names in the current Textmate Project, and highlights Type words properly. It includes Types for unity 2.5 as per Neal's additions. I could probably get teh autocomplete working for JS if there is interest.

Attached Files:

44. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Is this the latest for v2.5?

Yes please? :)Would like to see JS autocomplete back in again[/quote]

45. thylaxene

thylaxene

Hi Horsman,

Does your bundle use my JS bundle at the beginning of this thread? As it seems you archive is smaller then mine, would be nice to combine the two so there is one definitive TextMate bundle! :D

Cheers.

46. gersaky

gersaky

I've installed the bundle, but for some reason syntax highlighting isn't working for me...

e.g. comments show up as regular black text...

Is there something I'm missing?

47. gersaky

gersaky

I figured it out... For whatever reason, I had the Javascript bundle disabled. The Unity bundle must piggyback on that for the highlighting...

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

48. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Agreed! Seems there are a bunch of different bundle versions floating around and it is not clear which bundle version supports which version of Unity API and which features.

In this day age, with forums and wikis, etc. the confusion, fragmentation, lack of organization is simply unnecessary!

Thylaxene, can you _upload_ the latest bundle to the wiki entry here?

If so, please include version info on the bundle (can be the date if you want), which version of the Unity API is supported (is v2.5 supported?), iPhone support?, etc. Will ask the other TM bundle creators to do the same (for C#, Boo, ShaderLab).

Rather than linking back to the messy forums for each language, would like to see the wiki become THE place to download TM Unity bundles... Let's use what we have people! :)

Also, to contribute to the latest bundle, here is an updated folding definition to include switch cases:
    Code (csharp):
    2.     foldingStartMarker = '/\*\*|\{\s*$|\s*(case)';
    3.     foldingStopMarker = '\*\*/|^\s*\}|^\s*(break)';
    /me is tired of hunting 4 forum threads to install the latest TM bundles. :)

49. thylaxene

thylaxene

Cool no problem I'll have look at both JS bundles and combine the best of both and update it for 2.5 and iPhone. (which it mostly has)... but I've noticed in my daily coding that the JS is missing some definitions. It will take me a couple of days to get it all in order and then I'll put it on the wiki.

Cheers.

50. horsman

horsman

I'll get around to JS autocomplete this week.