Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions by the end of July. Read our announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Unity issues in windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows' started by deepfriedoreo, Oct 12, 2013.

1. deepfriedoreo

deepfriedoreo

I recently updated to windows 8 after my old computer gave out and I got a laptop. I have recently re downloaded unity and I started out on a new project. After about 10 minutes of being in unity, it seems unusable on my platform. I was having issue making an object move straight forward along the z axis, so so make sure I wasn't just rusty I opened a new C# script and just threw this in it:

Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System.Collections;
    5. public class PlayerTrack : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    8.     private Transform _myTransform;
    9.     private CharacterController _controller;
    11.     public void Awake ()
    12.     {
    13.         _myTransform = transform;
    15.         _controller = gameObject.GetComponent<CharacterController>();
    16.     }
    18.     void Start ()
    19.     {
    21.     }
    23.     void Update ()
    24.     {      
    26.         _controller.SimpleMove (_myTransform.TransformDirection(Vector3.forward));
    27.     }
    28. }
    As far as I am aware, that should move the object along vector3.forward (positive z axis) but the object move down along the y axis. I have changed Vector3.forward to be Vector3.down, Vector3.right, and Vector3.up as well, and they all move the object down along the y axis. Am I doing something wrong? Or is unity just not working right on Windows 8 at the moment?

Edit:
    I realized it was going down because that is the response of a character controller, so I set a box underneath to collide with, and now regardless of direction, as soon as it hits the ground it starts to move up along the y... I am really stumped...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013