Search Unity

Unity is unusable

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by KhinRunite, May 3, 2021.

1. KhinRunite

KhinRunite

Was working fine 9 days ago.

I opened Unity Hub today, tells me my license has expired. No problem, I just renewed it and is now set to expire on May 17. I opened my project, then I got stuck on "Hold on" for like 48 mins before I decided to End Task it. Kept trying to close, re-open, deleted temp-- no luck. Last ditch effort I created a new project (2D) and still stuck. Nothing suspicious in the logs. It's stopped at

<RI> Initializing input.

What's wrong with it, and what else should I be checking?

Please help...this is killing productivity.
    BTW this is Unity 2021.1.3f1

Attached Files:

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

First off if you're using Windows, reboot.

If that doesn't make it work, uninstall Unity, and try installing afresh. Just install the editor to quickly check.

If that works, install other modules you need and keep going

If that doesn't work, uninstall it and try and earlier version, ideally something in an LTS chain.

3. Also sometimes deleting the Library folder helps the 'hold on' situation. You will end up reimporting your project though...

BenniKo likes this.
  4. KhinRunite

KhinRunite

Thanks for the replies. Rebooting my PC seemed to work and I was able to get some work done overnight, but now editor is "Not responding" again after being minimized for a couple of hours. Again nothing suspicious in the logs so I have no clue why this is happening.

Also, is the LTS really more recommended than the official releases? o_0

Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  5. FiveXGames

FiveXGames

The LTS version (Long term support version) is an official release, moreover is the RECOMMENDED version (by Unity) to work with for end products, so, yes in case of doubt a LTS is the recommended version an is the official release.

The other version are called, tech release, beta release, alpha release... which as you can see are less stable versions and definitively not recommended for end projects, just to see the latest tech things, testing, learning...

About license problem, some ideas: It could be the firewall problem, a internet connection, or if you have multiple LAN devices, wifi adapter, vpn... they can create conflicts, since the authentication process is attached to the device that performed the initial authentication and if in the process is changed then it may fail. (Or a least a year ago was an issue).

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  6. KhinRunite

KhinRunite

I had suspected it's got something to do with whatever background task Unity is doing. For anyone else experiencing this, the quick solution that worked for me is to put the machine to sleep, count down a bit, then wake it back up. This would kill whatever's blocking Unity.

Next time this happens I will try disconnecting from my network.

Kurt-Dekker likes this.