Search Unity

Unity is simply impossible to use on Ubuntu!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Bardaz, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Bardaz

Bardaz

First of all I want to clarify that my native language is not English, I do what I can!

I am having too many problems with unity on Ubuntu. Freezes, crashes, things that do not work because if (an example is that suddenly I cannot drag things from the folders to the hierarchy), everything takes a long time to load. All kinds of problems! Is this normal or am I doing something particularly wrong?
    I didn't do anything weird, just download the unity hub and install the editor! Should we do more? is there any way that unity works without so many problems in Ubuntu or is this just the thing?

I'm not looking for a "tutorial" to fix anything, just chatting with people who use Linux. It is frustrating because after a lifetime of using windows I switched to Linux and the truth is that the experience is terrible with respect to unity!

nasos_333 likes this.
  2. Kevathiel

Kevathiel

Yeah, the Linux support is a joke. WebGL build was broken in almost every 2018 release, you run into the weirdest issues when you use a different window manager than the default one(despite having no issues with any other software), still no proper drag and drop, Unity keeps spitting out UI error logs when you just use the menu, sometimes it just closes, etc.

I mean, Unity is kinda always slightly broken, even on Windows, but the Linux experience is even worse.

Unity is the only reason why I keep Windows as dual boot, since I need it to pay my rent.

I_Am_DreReid and Bardaz like this.
  3. Bardaz

Bardaz

Totally true! It's a shame because I wish I could use Linux for everything ...

Kevathiel likes this.
  4. Ryiah

Ryiah

organgrinder and Joe-Censored like this.
  5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The biggest problem with creating a large complicated product like the Unity Editor for Linux is testing. That's because the variability in configurations for Linux are extremely high compared to other desktop operating systems. That requires exponentially more testing to get it right, but the market share of Linux desktop compared to Win/Mac doesn't justify the testing resources required to do so.

Ryiah likes this.
  6. Kevathiel

Kevathiel

Not really. I mean sure, if they want to target Linux in its entirety it would be madness and it would be understandable that they don't see the point to support it. But they claimed to focus support on:
    • Ubuntu 16.04, 18.04
    • CentOS 7
    • x86-64 architecture
    • Gnome desktop environment running on top of X11 windowing system
    • Nvidia official proprietary graphics driver and AMD Mesa graphics driver
    • Desktop form factors, running on device/hardware without emulation or compatibility layer
    Which is fairly specific. I mean, I tested Ubuntu out of the box with the official Nvidia drivers and even that causes the issues.
    On the other hand, I have no issues with any other software, not even when using a different environment(Arch, i3gaps, lightdm). Be it Unreal, Davinci Resolve, or anything other than games with anticheat stuff.

7. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

If there's a specific problem you're having, please share or log a bug via Help > Report a Bug.

Keep in mind that Linux is in Beta, with 2018 being considered an experimental release. We do not backport fixes to 2018.4. So if you're running 2018.4, you're not going to see a night-and-day difference with what you saw 2 years ago. If you're experience with 2020.2 is as problematic, however, we want to know about it.

8. tacman1123

tacman1123

I've reported bugs, sent in crash reports, and posted on the forum, but have largely stopped because I don't think I've ever received a response.

WebGL doesn't work, for example. There are several threads and bugs, which suggestions that date back a few years. Simple adding an option for more verbose errors might help, we know it's not helpful to post a "this doesn't work" message, but there's nothing I can find that's more helpful.

An option to build WebGL from the command line would make tracking errors (and building!) much easier for everyone.

9. volfase

volfase

Unity works really good on linux systems

sfjohansson likes this.
  10. tacman1123

tacman1123

BTW, Report A Bug takes about 20 minutes, because I'm on a very slow internet connection. And locks Unity in the process.

Today I spent a hour tracking down why a UI slider wasn't working. The steps: Create a Project. Enabled New Input System. Add A canvas and slider. Change event system to use the new input system handling. Click Play -- slider doesn't work. Click Build and Run, slider does work. Solution: Change Player Settings to "Both" (restart editor), delete event system and allow the default (old input manager). Click Play, slider works.

What is the best way to report that?

11. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

If you are on a slow connection, you can remove the project .zip file from the bug report to save yourself a lot of bandwidth. Any of the automatically attached files can be removed. But the more that are missing, the harder it will be to repro.

In the case you have above, the information you have included in your last post, with the addition of your Unity version, Linux distro version and GPU makes a pretty reproducible report.

In addition, you mentioned WebGL above. The WebGL issue should be fixed in the latest releases. The bug was a problem with gzip compression. If "brotli" or "uncompressed" compression was selected, the build should work. But with the latest builds gzip is back in working order.

I don't know what version of Unity you've been using. As a reminder to everyone, the latest changes are in the most recent builds, and we don't do a lot of backporting on Linux as we get ready for release.

12. mstarr

mstarr

Bump. On Ubuntu 20.04, Unity 2020.3.33f1. I can't even report bugs that Unity crashes because the bug reporter itself crashes!

thelon78 likes this.
  13. thelon78

thelon78

My experience - Unity Editor does not start on Ubuntu 20.04 inside a virtual box. No message nothing, just disappear launch screen

14. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

No it doesn't, I've been attempting to do projects all year, with NO success.

Including 2 attempts at this one.

upload_2022-12-22_13-43-46.png

15. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

It works really well. I've been using it everyday on ubuntu for the last 3 years or so...now on 20.04..started with 18.04

Made builds for
    - Native
    - Android
    - WebGL

Early versions had somewhat slow re-arranging of views but apart from that worked fine..

Had some issues once with a client that used Plastic, had to install and then possibly some copying around to some path unity was expecting...don't remember exactly but got it working

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
    andrlz likes this.
  16. andrlz

andrlz

Second that. I've been using it for the past three years without any major issue.
    The only issue I'm facing is with diacritical marks in the editor, they simply don't show up. I don't get it!