Search Unity

Unity is laying off staffers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bonickhausen, Jun 29, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I see, I thought the talent left to go to bloomberg etc.

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

It was always more than just Schreier, but also if stuff like this is happening at a big company, people who are reaching out are also going to reach out to the biggest relevant voice, and as far as views go, that's Kotaku. Places like gamesindustry.biz and the like are a little too inside baseball for a wide reach, and also everyone there is generally gonna know about the layoffs from their social circles already.

I think the main reason this was sent as news is not just the layoffs, but the fact that Riccitiello had said weeks earlier that layoffs weren't coming.

3. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

I think its best to wait for some kind of official announcement; as opposed to taking various articles with a mixture of information as truth. :)

4. Murgilod

Murgilod

I mean we got an official statement and it wasn't amazing.

MadeFromPolygons and impheris like this.
  5. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

There was? Link?

6. RecursiveFrog

RecursiveFrog

Nah, it would take about 4 years if my past as a Flash developer is any indication

7. Murgilod

Murgilod

https://www.protocol.com/bulletins/unity-layoffs-game-engine

"Slightly more" being I think 244.

MadeFromPolygons and Kirsche like this.
  8. neginfinity

neginfinity

That part is taken directly from the article. I don't know if they're citing Murgilod or not.

If their source is "anonymous" it could easily be a figment of writer's imagination for all I know.

ippdev likes this.
  9. Murgilod

Murgilod

Again,

10. ippdev

ippdev

So you are the anonymous source of the quote then? ;)

11. ippdev

ippdev

I was just joshing, but ya gotta admit it sounds just like you said recently in another thread.

12. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I agree that this is the bit which makes it stand out, assuming that it's true. On that note...

The point is that we can't verify it for ourselves to any extent. Even if other journos investigate this and get the same story, for all we know the sources are the same group people. Even that Protocol article's sources are a) the Kotaku article (nothing new), b) Unity's official statement (not new any more) and c) a thread on an anonymous bulletin board (now including posts which directly conflict with the Kotaku article).

13. neginfinity

neginfinity

In my opinion it is a variation of appeal to authority. "They're journalists, so they verified their sources".
    How do I know that this is true?

This might be extreme, but consider following approach to press. "Anything told in press is a lie or purposeful misinterpretation until proven otherwise". Then see if you can prove that kotaku's "doom and gloom at unity" is telling the truth.

I've seen epic amount of bullshit published in very big news agencies and spread all over the internet for decades. Not even epic amount, but cosmic amount. And a good rule of a thumb I found is when an article is trying to appeal to your emotions, and convince you to FEEL in specific way, it is likely garbage and should not be trusted.

The kotaku article falls squarely into "emotional" category, meaning it is not to be trusted. The unity address is real, and people were laid off. Anything else in it could be fiction for all I know.

But that is heading towards politics and is probably beyond the scope of this forum.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  14. Murgilod

Murgilod

I literally quoted the relevant part of the article where Unity confirmed these things in a statement.

15. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Perhaps in 6 pages of discussion I've missed the part where this specific part was officially confirmed?

16. Murgilod

Murgilod

Actually, fair, I lost the thread on that specific statement at some point. I tend only to post in these threads when something's either compiling or rendering so I lose my place a lot.

17. impheris

impheris

theses rants are not new + the community has been losing faith in the tool from years now + same CEO of other company with similar a history + layoffs of "Most have AAA experience and are some of the most clever and passionate people I have ever worked with.."
    Is not just 1 or 2 things... and yes the other guy was right, keep working in your projects but is good idea if you start learning other engine :) no one want to sail on a boat that is not solid and is suspiciously led by a guy with bad reputation :S
    Again, i hope i'm totally wrong

18. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

That's the only bit I have been following. Or would have been, if there was anything to follow.

Not that I'm in any position to take action on it either way.

19. Antypodish

Antypodish

Guys, stop saying A or B has said that or that. Start giving links to sources. All this discussion is one big rummor otherwise, nothing more. No one else will take time searching web to verify, if person imagine, or quoting other sources.

If source from the social media, other part of the internet, or from the forum, please give references and links. Reading bunch of pages of the thread alone, for searching references is radicoulus.

20. stain2319

stain2319

For what it's worth, I've been laid off twice in my life from corporate jobs where the CEO and other higher-ups were directly asked at internal meetings whether any layoffs were planned and they always said no. I would be shocked if any corporate leader ever gave advance warnings of layoffs unless they are legally required to do so. It just doesn't happen. They always paint a rosy picture and say everyone's job is fine because if they didn't, there would be a mass exodus and they would lose the ability to maintain control over who stays and who goes.

If Riccitello said there wouldn't be layoffs and there were layoffs shortly thereafter, that isn't really news. That's just how it goes, every time.

tonialatalo likes this.
  21. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I think it's still generally good for people to recognize that anti-social behavior is not normal or good.

Martin_H likes this.
  22. stain2319

stain2319

I wouldn't say it's good. But my very point is that it IS normal. The CEO has an obligation to the shareholders. He has no obligation to the employees. It would be good for anyone working in the corporate world to remember this at all times.

23. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Historically it is also normal for people to destroy with violence those who do them dirty, too.

Martin_H likes this.
  24. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thread is going around in circles so consider this the first sign toward Locksville, everyone.

25. Casper-Chimp

Casper-Chimp

Is it really that hard to believe someone familiar with Unity said:
    ""Unity has been a “S*** show” lately, one person familiar with the situation, who requested anonymity for fear of reprisal, told Kotaku. Attrition. Mismanagement. Strategic pivots at a rapid, unpredictable rate."

Even on the forum that's been the vibe for years, just looking in from the outside. I would be more surprised if they could find someone praising all of the choices.

26. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Ensuring social behavior is the purpose of the state/government. That's why in many countries (e.g. Germany) a few months have to pass between beeing told you are fired and until you get no more money (the time depends on how long you have been in the company to not encourage job-hopping).
    Technically you have to work those months yet, but IT companies tend to let you stay home out of fear that you cause harm.
    Not sure how it's in the US.

27. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Governments and all that comes and goes. One thing always remains true though: If one monkey is getting more bananas than another, sooner or later somebodies gonna get hurt.

28. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Don't believe anonymous 3rd party misinformation. I like my misinformation to be 1st party and native to Unity, so let's all wait for a press release / blog post.

29. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Locked this thread because it's not actually healthy for anyone involved (too much speculation) and its going around in circles. I think everyone had a chance to air their views within the time frame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.