Search Unity

"Unity is broken" - What are people referring to?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PhilSA, Feb 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted User

Deleted User

I don't even know where to start with that one. So when Unity put the fix in release notes and customers submitted bugs, Both Unity and Unity customers were liars just because YOU didn't have an issue?

I'm sure at some point your explanation will make sense.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2016
    sicklepickle and Frpmta like this.
  2. Django

Django

Sadly, that is the problem. Unity is designed for general games- It is a general game engine that is for game genres they know exists (e.g. a platformer, a shooter, an action game, racing, etc). You can step out of these boxes a bit but if you go too far, you will encounter these issues because the people developing Unity do not know how some things will be used beyond the usual combinations that already exists out there.

Its not really Unity's fault!

It goes back to what I was trying to say in my previous post:

Should Unity spend time developing or fixing a feature that hundreds of games will use of fix something very intricate that only a handful of game use because they are so different and original.

In a case where your project is extremely unique, then it might be better to consider developing your own engine rather then spending all the time trying to circumvent all the problems blocking your way.

3. neginfinity

neginfinity

Unity is not designed for specific games. It is general purpose engine, which is obvious if you take a look at its architecture/scripting interface.

General purpose engine should be able to cover pretty much anything that
    1. Is not galaxy sized.
    2. Does not use non-euclidian geometry or features comparable to Prey or Portal.

That's unity's decision, not mine and not yours. However, last time I used the engine it gave impression of being unreliable. And that is a bad thing, regardless of feature priorities.

landon912 and McMayhem like this.
  4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

AFAICT this thread is now just a whippet chasing it's own tail - any reason for it to continue? Maybe more revelations of some sort?

Ironmax, Martin_H and McMayhem like this.
  5. McMayhem

McMayhem

Honestly, I don't see this thread continuing beyond anything but endless debates on semantics and other equally useless swill.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

^ got the last word (this post doesn't count)

elmar1028, ZJP, Martin_H and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.