Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2020 LTS & Unity 2021.1 have been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

unity is already in list. you cannot locate the same version

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by xxShana, Nov 29, 2019.

1. nco2k

nco2k

2. bryandejong

bryandejong

Could we get an update from the Unity team about this fairly silly but suprisingly annoying issue in the hub?

EDIT: Funnily enough, Unity Hub got an update today that addresses this issue https://unity3d.com/hub/whats-new

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  3. Juzpermsky

Juzpermsky

In my case it was solved also by reenabling unused wi-fi card. Thank you man!

gmadan78 and BlackHill-de-Eagle like this.
  4. BasilUnity

BasilUnity

Unity Technologies

The delay was unfortunate but we wanted to be especially thorough with this release. Like you wrote yourself, this is a really annoying issue and we wanted to address it once and for all!

The confusing "Unity is already in list..." error message is merely a symptom of a problem, which is resolved in the new Hub 2.3.1 release. If you're still experiencing this issue, please update to the latest Hub version.

If this still doesn't solve the problem, please return your Unity license, remove Unity Hub, reinstall the application and perform the license activation again. This is currently the recommended solution over the ones listed in https://forum.unity.com/threads/troubleshooting-licensing-errors-in-the-hub.850399/

bryandejong likes this.
  5. bryandejong

bryandejong

Sadly, the issue remains. I've gone through all recommended fixes, but none work in my situation where I sometimes use an external wifi adapter, and sometimes the internal one. Whilst simply enabling my internal wifi adapter allows me to launch the editor, it also forces windows to switch back to that one, which is undesirable for me in many occasions. I've managed to circumvent that by renaming my internal wifi adapter, and giving my external adapter the internal name. At first I thought Unity needed it's connection to go through my internal wifi adapter, but if it's enabled but not connected to a network, Unity launches fine.

6. BasilUnity

BasilUnity

Unity Technologies

Let's make sure I understand your case correctly: are you manually disabling your on-board network adapter when you're connecting an external WiFi adapter? I'm particularly puzzled here because as far as Unity services are concerned, the adapter's name is irrelevant: we simply don't look at this information.

7. bryandejong

bryandejong

Yes, before now I always disabled it manually when connecting my WiFi adapter, to make sure Windows uses the external adapter. Renaming the adapter in network settings has forced windows to prioritise the external wifi adapter if it's connected. I should've more clearly mentioned that I can use this workaround to fix my issue with the Hub, although I'm not sure why it fixes it. I suspect it's because it means I can leave my internal WiFi adapter enabled. (And disabling it is what causes the 'unity is already in list' warning)

8. nco2k

nco2k

@BasilUnity
    i switched yesterday from 2019.3.11 to 2020.1.0b6, and everything is working fine now, except when trying to start unity through a desktop shortcut. after updating unity hub to 2.3.1 today, the issue remains. after returning the license and reinstalling everything, the issue still remains.

if unity hub isnt running already, and you try to start unity through a desktop shortcut, then following happens:
    1.) unity splash screen pops up
    2.) unity hub opens up, but the "unity is already in list" message doesnt show up.
    3.) unity splash screen disappears
    4.) nothing

if unity hub is running already, and you try to start unity through a desktop shortcut, then following happens:
    1.) unity splash screen pops up
    2.) if unity hub is minimized to tray or taskbar, then it gets restored (why?!), and the "unity is already in list" message doesnt show up. if unity hub is already restored, then the "unity is already in list" message does quickly show up. (too quick to read without grabbing a screenshot)
    3.) unity splash screen disappears
    4.) nothing

luckily, launching a project through unity hub works with 2020.1.0b6. with 2019.3.11 i had to open a scene from the file explorer, every time i wanted to start unity. i havent tested 2019.3.11 with unity hub 2.3.1 though.

i also moved from windows 7 to windows 10 (clean install), like @alexgidge.

9. BasilUnity

BasilUnity

Unity Technologies

@bryandejong: Hm, yours seems like a special case. A lot of the work that went into the Hub's licensing module in the past year was specifically to force it to prioritize on-board network adapters over plugged devices. The idea here is to help people with modular computers and many of our users who use docking stations. I don't know what to suggest to you, other than what you've tried already.

@nco2k: Unfortunately that's the expected behaviour for now: now that the licensing module is updated in Unity Hub and is confirmed to be working (thanks for that, by the way!), we need to backport it into Unity Editor. This unfortunately will take a lot longer than the Hub hotfix due to the internal logistics. For the time being, please continue relying on the Hub. : )

bryandejong likes this.
  10. bryandejong

bryandejong

@BasilUnity That explains a lot, thank you! The only fair issue I can point out about the hub then, is that I would expect it doesn't enforce that prioritization if the on-board network adapter is disabled. But I have no clue how easy it is to detect that, and having worked in a major company, I understand such edge cases don't take priority, especially since I already have a manual workaround. Compliments to the Hub team however, it's project and editor management features have been a massive time saver.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  11. ZaKAmiar

ZaKAmiar

Just create new project and copy the Assets from the old project to the new project and that will solve the problem.

12. alexgidge

alexgidge

The next time I ended up trying Unity hub on the same version, it wasn't able to open my projects - I either thought it was fixed but wasn't or, It only worked on one project at that time.

All my projects have been broken throughout the past 2 weeks on both unity hub versions

I've updated unity hub, even uninstalled and reinstalled but still getting the issue

Windows prompted me to allow communication on network, I've set to allow on all networks but still not working.
    I usually use a VPN at all times, I've disconnected and shut down this, turned off windows firewall and disabled Malwarebytes AV, logged out of unity hub, re-installed unity hub 2.3.1, updated licence from settings dropdown, but still getting the issue

I only have one network adapter on the affected computer, but it does have 2 (one virtual) when the VPN is connected

Also both the editors 2019.3.10f1 and 2019.3.12f1 I am unable to set Android build settings and get "Your license does not cover android publishing"

I don't know when this android issue started, last time I was working on an android project was about a week before the unity hub issue starte

Doesn't work for me, all projects are broken

@BasilUnity Let me know if you want me to try anything or send any log files over

I will try the beta editor next

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  13. alexgidge

alexgidge

Mine's working again!

- Unit hub updated to latest version still didn't fix the issue
    - Roughly following steps here https://forum.unity.com/threads/troubleshooting-licensing-errors-in-the-hub.850399/
    - I tried various combinations of returning licence, cmd manual activation but couldn't get it to work

Last steps I took were:
    - Uninstalled 2019.3.10f1 (not sure if that helped at all)
    - Still had 2019.3.12f1 installed
    - Signed out of unity hub
    - Quit unity hub
    - Disabled all network adapters
    - Deleted license file in C:\ProgramData\Unity
    - Reopened unity hub
    - Couldn't reach server to get a new licence
    - Enabled wifi adapter only
    - Signed in and requested new license
    - Opened project successfully

14. BasilUnity

BasilUnity

Unity Technologies

I'm really glad to hear you got unblocked, @alexgidge but it sounds like a frustrating experience. If you don't mind me asking, what VPN client are you using? (Cisco/Microsoft/GlobalProtect/OpenVPN/TunnelBlick...)

15. sasimpson

sasimpson

I have had this issue for the last few days, and I figured out what is causing it. I disabled my Ethernet adapter a couple weeks ago. that's it. I moved and I'm on WiFi now and i was diagnosing some WiFi issues. I disabled my Ethernet adapter to isolate the issue. saw folks here saying toggling network settings might do something and i suspected this. Re-enabeled both and now i no longer get the error.

also that error: "unity is already in list. You cannot locate the same version" appeared and disappeared so quickly, i had to get a screen recorder out and go frame by frame to even read it.

Boolable likes this.
  16. Anomaex

Anomaex

The same error. .'Unity is already in list...' on Windows
    Did everything recommended, but nothing helps
    - Unity Hub 2.3.1
    - Unity Editor 2019.3.12f

I create a new project, it starts immediately, but if I exit it, restart Unity Hub... and again this error, even on a new project...

Only one way out is to start projects from the scene file my_name_scene.scene....
    just awful, roll back these program updates, why do this, oh unity...

UPDATE: found such a "feature" ahaha
    1) Close all projects and close Unity Hub from process.
    2) Launch your project from your scene file, when Unity Editor start he launch Unity Hub automatically.
    3) Close Unity editor (your project).
    4) Start your project from Unity Hub <3 and project is launch without error =) nice ya
    BUT if you close project and start from unity hub AGAIN, you get the same error .....

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  17. LeroiBurgonde

LeroiBurgonde

Effectivement, j'ai réactivé mon adaptateur WI-FI (sous Windows10) qui était désactivé car j'ai une liaison Ethernet bien plus rapide et cela a fonctionné !!!
    Merci a vous tous car cela fait 2 jours que je ne pouvais plus travailler et surtout je n'aurais jamais pensé à cette solution !!!

18. BasilUnity

BasilUnity

Unity Technologies

Pairfait, merci pour le commentaire. C'est vrai que ce n'est pas évident comme solution: le message d'erreur est plutôt imprécis.

19. SunnyChow

SunnyChow

Got the simular problem, after my ethernet got problem and switch to wifi.

OMERBADI00's method helps , i can now open my project, but Unity editor is in indie version instead of pro version

20. unity_cUCOR-7b8xgaOA

unity_cUCOR-7b8xgaOA

I've had this problem twice in the same month now.. The fix for me is also to open an older version of Unity directly, one that doesn't require Unity Hub.

I tried renewing license (free version) via Unity Hub, it appears successful but doesn't fix the problem.

When I open Unity 2018.4.15f1 directly, it lets me know there's an issue with the license and lets me renew it properly. After this, I'm able to open newer versions via Unity Hub again. Interestingly, the first time I load up a newer version after this I get a windows firewall (allow this program through the firewall) popup.

21. ANDRESMEDINAVFX

ANDRESMEDINAVFX

HI.

Anyways, here's how I fixed it:

1. Sign out of Hub and close it
    2. From Task Manager -> remove any Unity Hub process still running (I had 1 running even though it was closed!)
    3. Find your license C:\ProgramData\Unity\ and delete the Unity_lic.ulf file
    4. Start Hub again and Sign In
    5. It should complain that you don't have an active license (Go to Cogwheel in top right and choose License Management)
    6. Choose Manual Activation and follow the instructions

Instructions for Manual Activation

(7. Save a License Request file on your PC)
    (8. Go to the link provided license.unity3d.com/manual (you need to be signed in))
    (9. Locate the Saved License Request and upload it. Then Download the new license you get. Place it somewhere safe)
    (10. In Hub click Next and locate your new downloaded License)
    (11. It should state that it was successfull)

12. Then open your project from the Projects list again and it should work

Really annoying problem, and the error message "Unity is already in list. You cannot locate the same version" that pops up for a few milliseconds was really hard to spot.. also didn't say anything about failed licenses. (I'm using Unity 2019.2.7f and 2019.3.5f1)

Maybe it help for some of you. Cheers

AltIvan and SunnyChow like this.
  22. devonelee

devonelee

23. BasilUnity

BasilUnity

Unity Technologies

Hello everyone,

The upcoming release of Unity Hub (2.3.2) will come with more improvements addressing the remaining instances of this issue. Thanks you for your patience this far!

24. alexgidge

alexgidge

It's AirVPN's custom built VPN client which I believe uses OpenVPN

BasilUnity likes this.
  25. asoe72

asoe72

26. Bryan_Ch

Bryan_Ch

27. glendonchua

glendonchua

If anyone has this problem and tried everything already, please check that your ethernet is not disabled in network connection settings. I only use wifi on my pc so I disabled ethernet and I spent the whole day trying to fix this. I randomly decided to enable it again and wtf now it works without an issue.

28. Alunny

Alunny

I've got this problem exactly as described. If hub's not open it just reopens hub. If hub was open it flashes the error too fast to see. If I make a new project it loads in immediately. If I close it and try to open it just seconds later it won't work again. I can open my projects through opening scenes, opening unity directly doesn't work period. This is a new install, I have another computer the same as this one next to me and unity works fine on it (it's not mine so no, I can't just use that one). This doesn't make any sense. Uninstalling and reinstalling plain don't work either. My unity network diagnostic test was all clear too.

I've been talking to Matas and Link about it and neither have come up with any solutions that have worked yet despite trying their best and being very helpful and polite. Almost all of the documentation I'm linked to has commands that don't work or lead to the right place (they are out of date) and it's not helping either of them help me. I'm not the most proficient at this kind of thing so having documentation with CLEAR instructions is super important. Every time I run the commands in the forum topics for solving this it tells me it can't use -batchmode or unexpected -v command.

We need this looked at. It needs to be unmarked as solved in the Issue Tracker, it's clearly only half solved.

29. BasilUnity

BasilUnity

Unity Technologies

@Alunny : Hi! Which version of Unity Hub are you using?

30. cmlonder

cmlonder

I installed as suggested the previous version it worked (2.0.4) until I misclicked to "update to newest version" popup and now I have same error again with 2.3.2 version

rayankija likes this.
  31. rayankija

rayankija

sry if im late but i got the same problem here

32. rayankija

rayankija

2019.3.14f1

33. Playlogic

Playlogic

New here... This issue was happening to me as well and in my instance I was able to solve it with the information concerning network adapters here.

First, my problem revolves around the fact that I have a VPN installed (ExpressVPN) and this may not apply to everyone who is not using a VPN or that VPN.

Issues:
    - Projects would not launch on stable versions of unity after save and re-open. This included new projects with sample scenes...once they were closed they would not be re-open via the hub, but could be opened via the "Asset" double click strategy.
    - If a project was open successfully, many features of the editor would not work; I noticed this due to the dark theme being disabled and not selectable with my current plus subscription as well as other features that go along "said" subscription.

None of this affected the current beta/alpha version of Unity(2020.1.*); I was able to launch projects like normal, save and reopen like normal with all features of the editor intact. My license manager has also not been affected by this issue.

ExpressVPN, when not connected disables its ethernet adapter which is causing the issues, once connected all versions of Unity works as expected. Once disabled, the problem returns...

I am not always connected to my VPN due to speed...My gigabit connections is slowed to a crawl.

I just don't get it...why is this even a thing? I mean ... I understand the need to protect against piracy but this is only affecting us that pay for the product. From my search, this problem seems to extend back as far as 2018. Why is it important for Unity that all my network adapters be enabled? There are plenty of reasons for having virtual network adapters, VPN being one and very prevalent, software/app/web development on virtual boxes being another...

Anyway...

Problem was in the latest version of Unity Hub
    - Hub Version 2.3.2
    - Unity Version 2019.3.14f1
    - Any project opened including those provided by Unity in the learning hub

34. TA_Ahmad

TA_Ahmad

Hello . ! I am using latest unity hub version 2.3.2 but unity hub not open the project and crash and show this message "
    unity is already on the list. you cannot locate the same version".
    please give us any good solution

35. BasilUnity

BasilUnity

Unity Technologies

Hello and welcome, @PaperEnigma . Nice Huey avatar, by the way! There's a lot of interesting information in your post: thanks for sharing your experience. So to be clear, did you manage to solve your problem?

As of Hub 2.3.2, there is a fallback in licensing code to unblock VPN users. The changes have yet to make it into Unity Editor, which is likely why you've been experiencing the issue you described despite updating to the latest version of Unity Hub. Since you wrote that alpha/beta version of Unity 2020.1 were not affected, we could setup a workaround that would help in your exact case, as long as you keep Unity 2020.1 installed. It would be a slight variation of the solution I proposed in this thread.

As for everyone else, rest assured that the development teams on both licensing and Hub are reading the forums regularly. Unfortunately "Unity is already in list..." is a generic, catch-all error message that the Hub returns when nothing else seems relevant. Even though all of you have encountered it, there are possibly 4-5 related but different issues, involving things like:
    • Some specific VPN providers
    • Disabled network adapter
    • Unplugged/missing hardware
    • Windows MAC address randomisation
    • Windows update
    • Other things...
    For that reason, there is no one solution that will apply to all of these issues at once. There were incremental improvements and updates to licensing code, both in Editor and Hub, for many years now. We will continue working on this component and appreciate your continued support and patience. As for me, much as I'd like, I can't always provide assistance on an individual level. If you need immediate help, please contact Unity support. They're friendly and sympathetic folks, they will take good care of you!

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  36. Androxen255

Androxen255

Nothing works for me, Im completly frustrated, I did everything! :c This is quite pathetic that such a big platform like unity has so big issue. Fix this asap, or you lose customers, tomorrow switching to unreal engine :mad:

37. Bitogno

Bitogno

Same for me.

38. camille_ias

camille_ias

I had been getting this for a couple days, very frustrating!!

It may have been caused by the following:
    - Use of VPN
    - Disconnecting of WiFi/wireless dongle
    - Restoring serial key

Tried the following
    - Returning and re-applying serial key
    - Disconnecting/reconnecting WiFi
    - Opening them via .scene file (opens but not with license)

The only thing that did seem to work was going into Network Connections and enabling an ethernet cable which was previously disabled, and not in use.

39. ssavas06

ssavas06

The problem seems to be stemming from network adapters. I currently only use the 'wifi' adapter on my PC - but was using the ethernet port to control a different project. I ended up disabling all but the wifi adapter and thats when the problems started (I did not realize it at that point) - I re-enabled the ethernet adapter and this issue went away.

This is the source :
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/hub....1591009192-384047532.1591009192#post-5603038

40. Gemons4Ever

Gemons4Ever

I changed my internet connectionto thethering via mobile phone because the local one didn't work. By disabling the ethernet connection I caused this problem. You need to make sure that the network device you usually use is activated, otherwise Unity Hub gets problems.

41. gliealonso

gliealonso

Omg! I was using Sandboxie to open another project to test my VR game but I couldn't for a looong time, but just renewing the license was enough! Where do you live? I'm coming over to kiss you!

42. Alunny

Alunny

Latest release. The issue is because my wifi adapter is disabled, as I use LAN. If I enable it but don't connect it solves the issue...however if I do connect it it's still broken so I'm not sure what the deal is.

I'm waiting for a fix. I did try the solutions here and only the first one works:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/stu...y-is-already-in-list-etc.903851/#post-5930891

43. Aksoq

Aksoq

Had this problem today, unless I turn my WiFi adapter back on Unity refuses to work correctly.

44. unity_AFEE4SHjAoMQ6A

unity_AFEE4SHjAoMQ6A

Same issue as everybody else. Turning on my wifi adapter fixed it.

45. flamefire01

flamefire01

alrdy more than 2 days , i create new project ,then reopen ..keep showing this messege below :
    upload_2020-6-23_9-3-43.png
    1 > reactive my license > not working
    2 > disable my Ethenet still not working ..
    3> uninstall and reinstall > still not working
    then i try to ....
    upload_2020-6-23_9-6-28.png
    WI-FI 3 is disabled i enable back. ..
    it worked now ..can open my file ..

my motherboard has built-in wifi ( Normally i disable it because i using ethernet)

Attached Files:

46. GRaveChilD

GRaveChilD

This is what worked for me:

1. Open Unity Hub
    2. Return License
    3. Close Unity Hub
    4. Disable network adapter from control panel
    5. Enable network adapter
    6. Open Unity hub and Activate new license

47. ravianand

ravianand

hi, just enable your network adapter . its doesn't matter if its not connected, mines were disabled to fix the internet and error occurred. just enable to fix.its an internet adapter issue

48. roshaantariq

roshaantariq

I am still facing this issue, I got the unity hub fully updated and reinstalled my unity versions but no luck

The worst thing is I had to click on my project million of times just to read this annoying issue because it was just a flash and message disappeared

49. C4D_Kristian

C4D_Kristian

Same issue:
    My solution: i have 2 network adapter (WLAN and LAN) and a while ago i disabled WLAN and then the problem starts.
    I took me a while to find out with reanabling of WLAN the Hub works fine.
    It seems it looks not "just" 4 internet but also to use always the same Ethernet Interface.

Repaga-Dev likes this.
  50. LinsaFTW

LinsaFTW

Same error since months... This is so stressful. Any ETA to fix this? I tried everything and nothing seems to help. I am running into a lot of bugs with unity and this is one of those with apparently no fix at all.

EDIT: I only have one network adapter and i even tried resetting it to default and reinstalling unity. No fix at all.

unityunity