Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2020 LTS & Unity 2021.1 have been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

unity is already in list. you cannot locate the same version

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by xxShana, Nov 29, 2019.

1. xxShana

xxShana

Hello community. After Unity Hub was update my project stop working. I have a message from it unity is already in list. you cannot locate the same version .
    No one editor was running.
    How to fix it?

upload_2019-11-29_12-41-32.png

canitry and Abishekh_Parivel like this.
  2. IgnacioMartinezCT

IgnacioMartinezCT

Hello, same problem here with Unity hub 2.2.0

Teyora_Lacisa likes this.
  3. xxShana

xxShana

solved. just restart your internet. turn on and turn off in command panel you lan\wlan connection.

speed646 likes this.
  4. IgnacioMartinezCT

IgnacioMartinezCT

What do you mean with command panel? I have reinstalled unity hub, unity, and restarted the computer but the problem persists

5. xxShana

xxShana

this peace of crap not working without internet.

6. xxShana

xxShana

command panel
    upload_2019-11-29_15-17-33.png

Bryan_Ch likes this.
  7. IgnacioMartinezCT

IgnacioMartinezCT

But I have Internet connection

8. IgnacioMartinezCT

IgnacioMartinezCT

I use windows 10
    Thank you but doesn't work for me

9. xxShana

xxShana

but it work for me, just relax and w8 hub update

10. IgnacioMartinezCT

IgnacioMartinezCT

The thing is that I work with Unity and have projects to develope, so I can't relax and wait... this is very annoying because I haven't done anything today but trying to get unity working!!! thanks!

11. kbm

kbm

Same problem here, really really frustrating..Unity Hub seems to get buggier with every update, I have spent about 8-12 hours on this already, reinstalling everything, deleting stuff, registry deletions, etc..please Unity Team - Hotfix this ASAP, we can not work on our projects anymore even though we are paying customers!

12. BrentonUnger

BrentonUnger

Same problem here, everyone. I updated the Unity Hub this morning, and I'm not able to open any of my projects now. Need a fix ASAP.

13. IgnacioMartinezCT

IgnacioMartinezCT

Don't know how but I can use unity without unity hub after restoring the system

14. marc081

marc081

Same problem here.
    Im new in unity so spend last 8 hrs with learning.
    Day after I try to open a existing project to continue the same issue.Unity is already in list. You cannot locate the same version.(must click a 20x times to read that flash message appear under HUB)
    Im using a Unity personal version 2019.3.0f1, so every time I start the Unity HUb warning that I dont have a active licence.
    Try every time with manual activation. But problem not solved. Unity is already in list.............
    So I found the solution. Its work for me maybe it will be helpful for some of you.
    1. Delete the /ProgramData/Unity
    2. Turn off windows Firewall
    3. Turn off the internet connection
    4. Launch the Unity HUB
    5. Manual put the licence until write that cant connect to server
    6. Turn on the internet connection
    7. Dismiss the all warning and under HUB until my licence was accepted and activated
    8. Open through HUB the last project and it normally start
    The reinstalling Unity or HUB and etc didnt work for me problem was again and again and reinstalling the Windows was insane if that bug is there so can happen any time.
    Maybe it help for some of you. Cheers

15. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi all,
    Sorry for the inconvenience, currently we are investigating this and other issues reported on the recent update.
    I would like to kindly ask you to check if the license remains valid after the update by going to the License Management page in the Hub.

SilverJynx and ilyusha71 like this.
  16. DOCTORFORK

DOCTORFORK

Try locating the project file and then opening the unity scene file in the Assets folder. That seems to work for me.

17. dklollol

dklollol

I also have the problem, but i just tried:
    - Removing my pro-licence
    - Uninstalling everything unity, deleted all unity from my appdata ect. and tried to remove all my unity related registry keys
    - Restarted the pc
    - Reinstalled unity hub and unity 2019.2.13f1
    - Re added my licence

And still can't open my project, but i can create and open a new project.
    Did notice that when i reinstalled my unity hub it auto detected my project, despite me clearing everything.

I can open the project by opening a scene file in the project, thanks DOCTORFORK

18. Shabbalaka

Shabbalaka

Having the same issue,

I am able to create a new project but then if i close that project and then try to reopen that same project through the hub it fails.

Open Unity Hub 2.2.1
    Click on project I was working on 2 days ago.
    I get the Unity Splash Screen come up and then it re-opens Unity Hub again with the message which appears for like half a second.

Unity is already in the list, You cannot locate the same version..

PS: What does this even mean ? ?

I tried reinstalling the Hub,
    Deleting the licence info in ProgramData\Unity

Nothing seems to be working though

Now if i try to open my project via the Assets/Scenes I get error importing packages messages, Weird this project was fine 2 days ago... This update has messed up a lot :(

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Pawciu and TheWarper like this.
  19. RubberDragonGames

RubberDragonGames

I didn't see any responses to your question. I did check mine before and after the bug and the license still seems to be valid. I checked for updates and the hub responded saying it was fine.

For everyone else I tried DOCTORFORK's solution and it does work. If you need visuals or need to know how to find the files, I made a simple guide in my post. I am spreading this solution to the other posts I know of that need it.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/hub...st-you-cannot-locate-the-same-version.786434/

20. TheWarper

TheWarper

Unfortunately, validating the license has had issues since updating to the latest Hub as well. On guess, it seems like it's having issues connecting to the server to validate or even return.

upload_2019-12-8_7-1-10.png

21. TheWarper

TheWarper

Is there a way to revert to an older version of the Hub? That one was working fine for me.

22. zenbuduh

zenbuduh

Worked like a charm :)

maherdaaloul and mishu_tofi like this.
  23. comanderkeen

comanderkeen

So, this solution did allow the editor to launch for me. However after it opened all the Pro/Plus features had been disabled, and the "Account" dropdown (upper right) had options to upgrade my licence as if it wasn't currently subscribed to Plus.

So, to solve this I:
    -signed out of my account in the editor
    -went to License Management in the Hub and returned my licence
    -signed out of my account in the Hub
    -went to my organization @ id.unity.com and hit "Revoke Seats" for my user
    -restarted my computer (just for good measure)
    -opened the Hub, signed back in
    -got the "activate licence" message
    -Activated my licence using the non-manual method
    -returned to the Projects view in the Hub, and it now works as expected

I believe, in my case this was caused by a corrupted local version of my license. I started encountering these issues after getting a Blue Screen of Death. I had some other corrupted files in my project after the BSD so, at least that would follow suit.

24. CSmochinaArnia

CSmochinaArnia

I fixed it much simpler:

- Uninstall Unity hub
    - Start the desired version of unity
    - Fix licesing issues, if any
    - load project
    - close unity
    - install Unity hub again

annekekluft likes this.
  25. OMERBADI00

OMERBADI00

I was able to access my projects using the scenes.

so basically,
    1. Click on the 3 dots over your projects in unity hub
    2. View in Expo
    3. Open File -> Assets\Scenes
    4. Open any of the scenes

26. zakkaiokenx10

zakkaiokenx10

None of these are helping me. I'm stuck and lost. I've restarted my computer, reinstalled unity hub, updated to the latest unity, made new projects, tried old projects, deleted and reactivated my license, tried opeing a scene file, edited my project's library and packages folders, restarted my network adapter, uninstalled and reinstalled the adapter and none of it worked. Unity please fix.

bhamronin, Alunny and RWChalmers like this.
  27. LL-Studios

LL-Studios

Thx OMERBADI00 it works
    :)

28. craztad

craztad

I ran into this today and found a fix for my specific problem that may help others. My problem occurred on Windows 10 and it is because I had my wireless card failed. Because it failed I removed it and disabled the network adapters in my Device Manager. Next time I tried to open Unity from Unity Hub I kept getting the issue stated at the start of this thread.
    So to fix my problem I had to put my broken wireless card that doesn't work back into my computer....and re-enable the adapter in the device manger.

I am wondering if this means Unity wouldn't open if you had no wireless card on your computer lol

ShantiB95 and crekri like this.
  29. crekri

crekri

Thank you so much! Unity works after enabling the Wi-Fi adapter (which I turned off to test the game's offline mode yesterday...)

I would never have thought something this unrelated is the cause of the problem.

30. zbychu9923

zbychu9923

For me it's still not working. With any of yours solutions :(

andx1234 likes this.
  31. andx1234

andx1234

I tried everything here and nothing...

32. Jelmer123

Jelmer123

33. zbychu9923

zbychu9923

Guys! I reinstalled Unity Hub, uninstalled any version and just installed 2020 beta version and its working well! Maybe it will help you too!

34. burtonposey

burtonposey

I was running into this same issue. It seems to arise when you enable or change a network adapter while Unity and/or Unity Hub is open. I "fixed" the issue (at least as far as I have gotten) by reenabling my WiFi network adapter. The project is currently loading without the error or prompt to upgrade my project. I currently am not connected to any wireless network, it's just the simple fact that my WiFi adapter is enabled that I can work again. Kind of ridiculous.

Cause: The network adapter was changed while Unity Hub and/or Unity Editor was open. This causes one of the two applications to produce this issue.

Here's everything I found in my attempts to get this issue fixed:
    • tried changing project version number in Unity Hub off and back onto my project's version
      • result: same error message when loading from UnityHub
      • result: upgrade project to <latest version I had installed> warning when launching a scene file directly
    • Tried uninstalling Unity Hub
      • result: When launching the version of Unity Editor directly, was met with prompt "upgrade project to <latest version I had installed> warning"
      • result: When double clicking a scene file, met with same prompt
    • tried reassociating *.unity files with the correct version for the project
      • result: same upgrade prompt when launching directly
    • Double checked the project settings/project version file. Confirmed they were correct
    • Reinstalled Unity Hub
      • result: did not work
    • Revoked my seat licenses and tried to refresh
      • result: did not seem to tell me I did not have a valid seat. this was odd as I should have gotten a message saying "no valid seats"
    • Deleted project Library folder
      • result: project doesn't load. Same upgrade project prompt comes up
    • Removed the latest version of Unity that the prompt was telling me to upgrade to
      • result: still wanted to upgrade to that version (lol)
    • Remembered in the middle of my Unity Engine, Unity Hub usage I turned on my WiFi adapter to work on streaming a device to my computer. I had turned it off some time after while those applications were still running and then had closed out the Unity Editor. I have experience issues with Unity Hub and authentication with different network adapters (e.g. taking up all seat activations per network adapter on same machine), so I figured this is probably the issue. I re-enabled the wireless network adapter that was turned on in the middle of my previous Unity Editor, current Hub sessions via Window's Network Connections (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network Connections). I did not reconnect to any wireless network and do not have autoconnect set to any network. I simply had the adapter enabled.
      • result: Unity loads up as expected, no warnings are produced
    • Once loaded, I went into Unity Hub and refreshed my licences
      • result: got the message I was expecting as a result of revoking my seats
    • Disabled the wireless adapter, then closed Unity and Unity Hub
    • Loaded Unity Hub back up and tried to load project
      • result: does not work. I have to have my wireless adapter on now to load my project
    I hope this helps point out the issue. I believe there's something with the authentication of a Unity license and it's binding to a particular network adapter on the same machine that is causing this issue. It's getting itself in a weird state and the warning message produced doesn't have anything to do with the actual problem.

35. LMUAnim

LMUAnim

The problem is, as other people have noted above, related to your Internet Adapter, and for me, the problem arose when I started using VPN at home to connect my laptop to my university network (thanks to COVID-19).

It looks like Unity uses the MAC address of the active internet adapter to hash the license file, but if your internet adapter changes (e.g. you turn on/off wifi or you start using VPN), your active internet adapter changes and thus your MAC address changes, so the license verification fail and Unity Hub throws the incredibly unhelpful "Unity is already in list. You cannot locate the same version." error.

Since I am going to be using VPN indefinitely for the foreseeable future, the fix for me is:
    • Unity Hub > Preferences > License Management > RETURN LICENSE
    • Quit Unity Hub
    • Connect to VPN
    • Relaunch Unity Hub
    • Unity Hub > Preferences > License Management > ACTIVATE NEW LICENSE

If I am disconnected from my VPN, I get the "Unity is already in list. You cannot locate the same version." error when I try to open a Unity project, but if I reconnect to VPN, the error goes away and Unity projects open again.

36. Marculous

Marculous

LMUAnim solution worked for me.

37. meganuke

meganuke

it doesnt work for me.

in my case i removed the wireless card from the pc (using ethernet now), and now it wont work anymore, doesnt matther how many times i return the license

can unity PLEASE provide a way to remove all the licensing information from the registry?????

38. Carlosemorais

Carlosemorais

Guys, I managed to fix it by changing the location of the project.
    I was running unity on a Virtual Machine, then apparently, for some reason, Unity didn't have full access to the folder.
    When I put the same project on my documents folder, and it worked just fine.

39. BeatB

BeatB

I still have this problem with the Unity Hub 2.3.0 and none of the solutions listed here works =/

RWChalmers likes this.
  40. SuperMukimuki

SuperMukimuki

41. burtonposey

burtonposey

@SuperMukimuki +1 I had an exchange with Unity Support on this and they suggested the same forum link as well.

They also provided me with some instructions I had not seen anywhere else. I'm just going to post the entire message as this cleared up my issues completely. The important part is deletion of the C:\ProgramData\Unity folder and reset of computer to reset the licensing stuff. Anecdotally I'll say that I thought it was weird this worked because my files in that folder did not to appear to have any changes for like years. Still, this removal and restart "flipped a switch" in the license authorization process that allowed me to get back to work.

Anyways, here's the correspondence from Link with Unity Support:

42. luisangelserranocatala

luisangelserranocatala

At first I always got this error, then sometimes don't and now everytime. It's so random and ducking annoying

43. filipescuradumihai

filipescuradumihai

1. Inside the project folder, open Assets\Scenes
    2. Double click on one of the .scene files
    3. Send thanks to OMERBADI00 for finding this workaround

vcasanova likes this.
  44. liamVAgamessss

liamVAgamessss

Worked totally fine to me

45. luisangelserranocatala

luisangelserranocatala

I tried that long ago, still without succes :/

46. ShantiB95

ShantiB95

None of the other methods worked for me. But enabling my Ethernet adapter, which I had disabled a few days ago as I get internet access only through the wi-fi adapter, it worked!

This problem occurred just after I restarted my pc a few minutes back and a windows update took place.

grymlock likes this.
  47. mathewrtate

mathewrtate

Having exactly the same problem, have tried all the solutions above and none have worked. This is rediculous.

48. bryandejong

bryandejong

For me this issue occured as well when disabling a network adapter in Windows Network & Internet settings. Fix was fairly easy, enable the disabled adapter (and connect it to internet), but this should definitely be looked at. Just lost half an hour of developer time because my editor wouldn't start.

grymlock likes this.
  49. alexgidge

alexgidge

My issue occured when moving project files to a new Windows installation, fresh install of unity hub 2.3.0 & Unity Editor 2019.3.10f1 on Windows 10 Pro (Build 18363)

I don't know my previous unity hub version, but previous editor was 2019.3.7f1

Issue occurs when trying to upgrade unity version from unity hub:

upload_2020-4-19_12-21-43.png

After selecting the unity version 2019.3.10f1 and opening the project, it starts to open unity editor. The editor doesn't open, instead the splash screen displays but takes me back to Unit Hub and shows me me this:

upload_2020-4-19_12-24-2.png

Tried reinstalling Unity hub and unity editor but that made no difference

This solution worked for me:

If you don't know where the scene files are, you can easily find them by clicking the 3 dots on the right side of the project in unity hub, then selecting "Show in explorer"
    This will open file explorer and you can navigate to the .unity scene files

When opening the scene directly I instead get this modal, converting the project version from unity editor:

upload_2020-4-19_12-20-33.png

After clicking continue, the editor opens properly. My project now has been updated to 2019.3.10f1 and this is shown in unity hub as well. I can also succesfully open the project from unity hub once again

Hope this helps anyone else

-------------------------------

Edit: This so far seems to have only fixed one of my projects in unity hub, my other project still needs to be opened by the scene file manually every time

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    nco2k likes this.
  50. robinkob

robinkob

Same problem here.
    I moved the machine from my studio to my house. I disabeld unused network adapter. nothing was launching anymore. Took me a month to understood that I have to activate all the network adapters. Now, it works!

LilHati, Invicible_ and bz10ma like this.
unityunity