Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity IRC Channel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jonathan Czeck, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

I started an IRC channel to hang out and discuss Unity type things.

irc://irc.freenode.net/otee-unity

If you are new to IRC, you will need an IRC client. Here are some free Mac friendly ones:

http://colloquy.info/
    http://homepage.mac.com/philrobin/conversation/
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/xchataqua/

The server name is: irc.freenode.net
    The channel name is: #unity3d

Why IRC? Because it's stable, doesn't use up many resources, and provides moderation if needed.

See you online...
    -Jon

edit: Updated channel name.

2. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Who is interested in this? I thought there was a need for a community chat... maybe no? (Quite a bit of help has been dished out to the few who go)

Is it that it is IRC?

-Jon

3. Guest

I think it's great, but some might find it hard to set it up and stuff?

4. NCarter

NCarter

I'm usually in #otee-unity when I'm working on my Unity stuff (which is a lot of the time at the moment), as well as when I'm at work. I'm always keen to discuss game design, coding or whatever else. :)

It's worth mentioning that, because the channel is sometimes rather quiet right now, you might not get a response the moment you arrive. Just give it a few minutes, or start talking and hopefully others will join in before too long.

5. freyr

freyr

6. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

I was there too this morning, albeit briefly, as I checked my mail and headed to work. I'll be there as I can. I'd be online while at work, but my company blocks all chat clients (irc, ichat, MSN etc) as well as streaming radio ... just because they can.

7. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Davyjj why not use some Proxys for those services. To do so go http://www.digitalcybersoft.com/ProxyList/fresh-proxy-list.shtml|Here click the "Connect" link in "Proxies By Method:" at the top and try them out till you find one that alows prot tunneling through those ports.

To use them set the Proxy type to HTTP, put the proxy IP and the port. In that list it gives the IP and then the Port seperated by ":". My friend uses this all the time to be able to chat with me from his collage. Jeff

8. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

I would but the IT/security folks routinely monitor all types of traffic on our network ... and are very anti-Mac. I musg te at least two emails per month telling me how "noisy" my Mac is. If they could, I'd be banned outright.

9. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Got to hate those pessky IT people. They are always such controll freeks, but then again their job is to keep a bunch of PC's running and lets face it, thats as close to hell as you can get, so I'll give them a bit of a break. Jeff

10. Richard_B

Richard_B

The problem is I already run iChat (mostimes) and Skype (always). IRC would then be a third :-(

Richard.

11. Pavlov

Pavlov

I was on last night for the first time and got some good tips from aarku. I plan on going back, it's a good hangout for Unity development.

Thanks aarku

12. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

You'll find me hanging out in #otee-unity as well. Not that I can offer much advice on unity, but I do offer it in the fields I am well versed in - AI development and programming.

13. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Ok, I'm way new to IRC and I'm trying to get the Conversation app to work... So I think I'm connected, if there's nobody else connected then nothing happens right? I guess I'll try again later.

14. NCarter

NCarter

You should see someone there, it's not usually completely empty (although the people in the channel may all be asleep). If Conversation just seems to hang with a blank window, that probably means your firewall is blocking some of the necessary ports. Try opening some or all of these ports:

• 6665-6669 (may or may not be necessary, outgoing only I believe)
    • If you want to use DCC, open 32768-32788 too (although that rarely actually works because most people have wacky firewall settings).
    • Finally, you can speed up your initial connection to Freenode by opening the Ident port, 113.
    EDIT, forgot this: Freenode periodically port-scans your machine to make sure you're not running an open proxy. This is harmless, but it can make weird things appear in your access logs. If you prevent them from doing the port scan (by blocking their IP, for example), they could block you in return.

Hope to see you there soon. :)

15. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Right, right... I always forget about having to configure my router for new protocols. Thanks NCarter, I'll try opening all that up.

16. NCarter

NCarter

I notice it's kind of quiet in #otee-unity today, probably because many people haven't figured out that they need to connect to a different hostname today. Freenode is having technical difficulties, described on their home page.

If you want to join us on IRC, connect to irc://chat.freenode.net/otee-unity instead of the usual address, until the issue is resolved.

17. Jessy

Jessy

I realize this thread is kind of ancient, but I'm interested in the IRC channel and step 2 gives me a 404 (or it doesn't work. Whatever). Conversation isn't even a universal binary, so I tried Colloquy, but I have no idea where to begin with IRC. I found some ugly-looking stuff that I believe in intended to get me set up with a nickname, but I didn't see anywhere to enter said stuff.

There is this great quotation about usability I heard the other day..."People don't want to use your software. They want to HAVE USED your software." This applies to me in this case. Yuck.

18. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

Open Colloquy.
    Choose "New Connection" from the File menu.
    Enter a nickname.
    Leave IRC as the server protocol.
    Choose irc.freenode.net from the drop-down menu as the chat server.
    Click Details, and ignore everything except the plus sign under "Join Rooms".
    Click the plus sign, and type in "otee-unity" (without the quotes).
    Push Connect.

19. Jessy

Jessy

I am pretty sure that's what I did earlier, but this time it worked. Why-ever that is, thanks, Muriac!

20. NCarter

NCarter

As OTEE are now known as Unity Technology, in discussion with David, we have decided to change the name of the IRC channel to something more appropriate. Therefore, the channel #otee-unity is now known as #unity3d. Hope to see you there!

21. junctionboss

junctionboss

Horribly OLD thread, but it, apparnelty applies.

I was in there, by a different name, and was getting 'help' from someone about scripting issues I was having some issues with.

I wasn't aware, that you press > ( to run script), and I guess he decided to get test with me, and said 'jesus dude'.

Just lovely..and I thought I was in a 'adult room.

Ive never been treated like that..in #unrealengine.

Never.

I NEVER name drop, unless for good reason, but IF unity really does want to keep their good name, maybe it should be absolutely clear its not a 'official' channel.or maybe.they should clamp down a bit better. like #unrealengine does,,and make sure people are treaed right..

Another gentleman in there..defended this ..other person , even though I/d done nothing wrong, but ask for ..help..and I got tude in the form of 'jesus dude' back.

Im not easily angered.or frustrated.but I do not tolerate arrogance, just cuz.

Should I have to ? ;)

I thought I was in a 'trusted' place,even IF its IRC.and we all know that can-be-ugly.

still..being treated like that is silly..this is 2014 isn't it ? ;)

thx for listening,,and YES I have logs, if any unity 'leader' wants to see them.

IM just tired of this bullying crap..its got to end.

cu
    jb

22. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

The IRC channel is not an official Unity thing. It's 100% independent of us. If you have been treated badly, then sharing your experience is the right thing to do.

23. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Seriously? for someone saying "jesus dude"?!?! you need to toughen up. worse stuff is said on these forums on a daily basis, not to mention when Collaboration was a free for all. "jesus, dude" is not even a insult here in Australia.

24. mgear

mgear

Discord Ads brought me here..

and before this topic is locked,
    Lets goo, i see few people in the irc.freenode.net #unity3d channel!

mIRC used to be popular irc client, https://www.mirc.com/get.html
    not sure what other new ones there are now..

25. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

Oh man, wait for me, I just dial in to the gopher server to answer to this call to action! :D

mgear and PixelDough like this.