Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity iPhone Publishing - now shipping!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Oct 22, 2008.

1. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I know that most of you have caught on to it already but it's worth announcing anyway...

Unity iPhone Publishing licenses are now live and ready for sale! :D

Unity Online Store

We are all incredibly excited and hope that you are too. It's been a bit of a wait for this and so we want to thank everyone for their patience. We hope that folks dig in, have fun and get to making some great games for the iPhone and iPod touch.

w00t!

2. Jessy

Jessy

Purchased!

(I don't see upgrade pricing for iPhone Standard to Advanced. When I decide to do that, should I "contact sales@unity3d.com for more information"?)

3. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Rad!

Go to the store, act like you're going to buy an advanced license and eventually you'll get to put in your basic serial and get a discount. It's not optimal and we'll be updating the store later.

Have fun!

4. borisstock

borisstock

Is there a test version of the iPhone Publishing Module/Feature available?

5. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Not just yet, we'll have it ready shortly. You'll have to write us at sales@unity3d.com to request one and it will be provided. Ping us (at sales@) in a day or two and we should be ready to set you up!

6. ChuckT

ChuckT

It's like XMas in October.

I should let my friends and family know I will be missing for a few weeks now while I play.

7. Aubrey-Falconer

Aubrey-Falconer

Sorry to be nitpicky, but will the upgrade from standard to advanced be a $399.00 discount?

(Trying to strategize...)

:)

8. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Yep. :) (you just pay the price delta)

9. Dreamora

Dreamora

*bought*

10. bronxbomber92

bronxbomber92

Woot! Very awesome :)

11. ninjamonk

ninjamonk

mmmmm almost bought but found it confusing for a new buyer. so you have to buy unity you then have come back afterwards with your serial and buy iphone bit? would be better to buy and all in one pack folks(maybe with a discount ;p).

looks promissing but I am waiting for a simple purchase journey.

12. Dreamora

Dreamora

you don't have to come back.
    when you enable the Unity Indie license checkbox an option appears to add the iPhone Basic license to it directly.

13. Aaron

Aaron

Money well spent, congratulations on the release guys. I must say I was extremely impressed with Unity after using the trial.-

Now to get to work!

14. seon

seon

*bought* - cant wait to play!

15. jeremyace

jeremyace

Just wanted to chime in to say congrats on the release guys! You can *almost* take a break for a few hours finally and actually attempt sleep and such junk. ;-)

-Jeremy

16. Scrat

Scrat

Bought.

This is so cool! :D

17. nickavv

nickavv

Would that I had lots of spare cash lying around so I could be at the forefront of cool new Unity updates as well..

Alas, that might mean I actually have to get a job (or finish my Unity game. :p)

18. flash

flash

how long should it take to get the email with my license number in it? I've been waiting for three hours now, seems like an excessive amount of time for a simple email to be generated

Flash

19. Dreamora

Dreamora

got it within 10 minutes.
    but I payed through a backed up paypal account, so insta payment. depending on the payment type the processing takes longer

20. flash

flash

Well it's already posted to my bank. In fact, it triggered a fraud alert with Bank of America because they called me within 60 seconds of hitting submit to verify that it was a valid charge.

Not sure where the disconnect is. :(

21. kenlem

kenlem

*BOUGHT*

I used the same card I used to by Unity Indie yesterday and it was declined. Luckily, I had another card handy!

Downloaded, installed, ran demo app and remote... tears of joy... I love you guys. :D

22. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Your spam filters, most likely.

--Eric

23. gizzerd91

gizzerd91

are there docs on the touches scripting (keeping track of all the fingers)? It looks complicated from a brief view of the sample source code.

btw, bought :)

24. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Bought. Now to figure out how to force the [UIApplication sharedApplication].idleTimerDisabled = YES; to occur (or do I add that in Xcode)?

25. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

HEH

I will pass on this ....i was thinking that it was for free for who has already bought Unity :) something like a 2.2 version including the chance to compile for iphone ^_^

I wonder why do i have these weird dreams LOL

to spend 400 dollars to make the nth clone of trivia games, or stuff based on accelerometer is not on the top of my list, since i already use the SDK (one of the advantages of working where i work :D); but for anyone else that has no clue about objective-c and core libraries is worth every single penny!

I can't wait to see the app store flooded with apps made with Unity!

26. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Anyone can use the SDK; they don't need to work where you work. ;) But no, you don't need Unity for the iPhone, in the same way that you don't need Unity for anything else either, you can just use Xcode for free! Also Unity iPhone pricing was announced weeks ago....

--Eric

27. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Probably i missed something, since i was sure that the SDK was available only for a limited number of devs; was not aware that anyone can get it from the ADC site, like Xcode :p

Same for the price of the Unity iphone; maybe because it would never pass trough my mind that i would need to pay for an extra like this :)

Is like you getting a car, and then when you wanna go off-road you gotta pay the car manifacturer to drive off road :D sounds stupid i know, but i think that the analogy is funny so i wrote it ;)

is the Wii version of Unity sold as extra too? just because XNA let you publish on 360 right out of the box ^_^

if i would make something that could be sold i think that i would be pretty mush adored by my customers due my generosity LOL

And btw i am not complaining; If i do not like it i simply leave; in this case i am interacting to see what you guys think :)

28. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

I think you might need to read the forums more; all of this has been discussed to death a long time ago. ;)

--Eric

29. UVRadiation

UVRadiation

BOUGHT!!!!!
    It's still downloading....
    comeon!!!!

30. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Totally agree...between work, family and house stuff to fix is almost impossible for me to do a lot of things....i gotta be more often on the forum ;)

31. mindlube

mindlube

@darshie76: buy an iphone and join us in the Steve Jobs reality distortion field. Just kidding: I love my iphone!!!

32. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

I had an iphone, i use a 3G at work (but i have a motorola razor LOL), and i have a touch....a mac pro, amc book...apple tv.....airport extreme....do i have to donate more to SJ? :p

The device is great, don't get me wrong (touch is even better....no monthly fee), but the limitation of a touch screen as input device are something that is hard to exceed them,so the games that you can make are all restricted to what you can do with a touch screen (and an accelerometer)...big difference between a wii that use a controller like an iphone, but the main unit and the TV display the image :D

after all is a phone, nobody said that was a game platform :D

33. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

That's pretty much like saying "the games you can make with a computer are restricted to what you can do with a keyboard and mouse". Seriously, it's not much of a restriction, especially if you use your imagination; what is a restriction is that iPhone development is only a few months old, and hasn't had the benefit of Unity until just now, either.

--Eric

34. podperson

podperson

I think you're mind-bogglingly wrong. I've only had my 3G for three months, but I've gamed on it for about 10x as many hours as I have on my DS, which I've had for a couple of years. My DS + game carts cost more than my iPhone (I've spent a total of $0.99 on games so far). I haven't switched the DS on since I got the iPhone.

Oh, and the best games on the DS (imnsho) are Jap RPGs for which the iPhone's UI is perfectly suited.

The only bad thing about the iPhone as a games platform is its battery life. Luckily, because Apple has standardized almost everything about iPhones and iPods, we have something like 10 chargers around the house not including the (faulty) ones that came with the iPhones.

35. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

double answer, since the tpic is the same:

Eric: what you say is true: the interaction is limited by keyboard (first dos games) and then kb and mouse; with the difference that we use keyboards since 1940 (qwerty, otherwise we have keyboards that are even older); and there is nothing wrong in that :)

The touch screen technology exist since waaaay before that Steve decided to save the world from heavy and complex devices; for who remember it, there was a console that had a touchscreen, like a ds, from Tiger; with a primitive version of lumines...not very successful; same as for the Palm devices...so i would say that is not a matter of new technology, but only a matter that the iphone is a phone, not a console :) (remember the Nokia N-gage? where is it now??)

you can play a FPS on a pc, is a pain to play with the joypad, because that kind of game style was not developed to be played on a joypad with thumb axis things (sorry, no idea how to call that things that are on the PS2/3 and Xbox controllers....analog sticks?), but if you get a lil bit of practice you can play decently, but if someone use kb and mouse and you use the joypad you are dead meat :p

The future is away from a keyboard and a mouse; new interfaces, new way to evolve our habits and transform the OS in a different experience, not in 2d, but in 3d...this is the future (at least this is what people are trying to get)

Again, nothing wrong in that....that's why we have different devices and different game styles....wanna play arkanoid with a normal joypad? you can do it, but the results are better with the trackball or with the knob style controller (the same used for quix), because this is how it was designed (arkanoid, modern brother of pong, that was played on an oscilloscope using knobs)

now, my point is: wanna do a fps on iphone? go ahead!, people will play 5 minutes and will get frustrated; wanna make an rts? sure! so you need to call your 4 year old son to borrow his fingers, otherwise a single adult finger will select 3 units :D

I saw the demo of the new games available for iphone, included a soccer game and a racing game....try to play and you will realize that unless you live to play whatever is called game and run on a screen (even if is the washing machine display), you will forget about these kind of games and continue to play puzzle and trivia games on iphone, leaving arcade and similar to console and computers

you can spend time to design and realize an amazing game, but if we check even an elementary book of game designing (not programming, design), one of the essential component to get a successful product is a great UI on screen and good implementation of the controls (anyone here older than 13 can remember the many examples of amazing games that were ruined by horrible control schemes)

You are free to do what you like, and experiment, but in the end you will never be able to compare a device that is not a game device (god Steve said so, not me), with a portable psp or DS....104 keys plus a bi dimensional controller with 2 button and a wheel are far far away from a small touch screen.

Wrapping up with podperson and his very colorful way to define my babbling :):

If you play on that thing....you are the perfect specimen for Apple...they got people like you and decided that the nmajority of who will be their customer for games will be like that....is called marketing ;) and nothing wrong in that of course...de gustibus ^_^

DS sucks for many games,is more an attempt to see what happens when you can't make a console as good as the PSP (Nintendo has a history of incredible innovations on every console...some goes good, some goes bad), I used to test games for that thing and hated every minute of it :p

RPG are games that could work on iphone...if you can stick good graphic, sound, music, maps, logic and everything else in the small amount of memory available...until the OS will give the chance to the users to access the internal folders on the flash memory (some does that, but is a PITA, believe me); in teh end you can touch the direction where you wanna go, and you need one button for everything.

is not a bad thing that the battery does not last....because it was not made with gamers in mind :) is a phone! but very few realize that :D

[stupid analogy]tm
    gotta put a coffee machine in my car, so i can complain about the fact that to make a capuccino i have to turn on the engine :p is a car not a bar on wheels...unless someone design a car for this purpose :)

36. Jessy

Jessy

Rubbish. Just because it's not as powerful doesn't mean it isn't a better control scheme for humans. I'll take the comfort and mobility of dual analog any day over the jerky digital control of four keys and arm angle restriction of a mouse.

For the record, I think the Wii offers the best FPS control scheme around. Play Metroid Prime 3 with "Advanced" control mode.

I personally couldn't give a crap. If I wanted to play competitive games, I would join a sports team. :wink: And that's one of the beauties of the iPhone, too - standardized input device, so no one can be at a disadvantage.

Darshie, you are speaking like an unimaginative Negative Nancy. The iPhone has a lot going for it as a gaming device; each gaming platform has advantages and disadvantages. You think that the keyboard and mouse were invented to play FPS games? Who knows what people will come up with for a tiny touch screen - there is no precedent for it.

37. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Jessy, i am not saying that is wrong, i am saying that you don't get a hammer to remove dust from a shelf...at the same way the controls for specific games are more enjoyable on one platform, and some on others...that's a fact, not a war between what is the "right" or wrong" Input device.

You think that i am negative? well, i am a designer, and i gotta work with pros and cons of a platform before investing money...would you call pessimist a stock broker? some people consider things before getting engulfed into the hype of a product...i have a lot of Apple stuff but i do not like their devices; if there is a flaw i don't give crap about it, and i am sick of stuff sold for specific categories...the updtown guys and girls that buy the more expensive and trendy device to show off....sorry but that's not me ;) since i get good prices and discounts i have got apple stuff, but Vista and parallels are always with me, to compensate the flaws of Leopard, and vice versa with vista flaws ;)

Now if we talk about the fact that if someone that want to buy the kit would be pushed to think before spending money, to realize that is not all gold what is on itunes...this is another question, and i would agree that my comments push people to not buy the product, so as form of respect i will retain my considerations, and leave to whoever wants to give a try, to experiment by themselves.

Apple policy about standards for quality on teh app store is based on ratings that the customer give....if an app/game sucks it goes lost in the millions of apps published there, and someone, even 1 or 2 will buy it to give it a try, so they make profit no matter what; that's why everyone can publish whatever is not considered offensive or sexually oriented.

Sorry to sound pessimistic, but is reductive to think that a platform like the iphone is used like a gameboy, when the applications that can run on it are limitless...but what we see are only games (tell me if i am wrong...i haven't seen anything not related to games when we talk about iphone here); and this is not what the iphone was created for; that's it :)

As you can read in my previous post, i stated that we use kb since the '40s; so if you tell me "You think that the keyboard and mouse were invented to play FPS games?" shows that we are not talking about the same thing ;) i am not pro or against, i am for the "right tool for the right job"; and , for me, playing fps on a console is crazy, like playing tomb raider or an arcade on a keyboard is crazy (not wrong....just not satisfying as it could be)

BTW the wii is a game console, with great innovative controllers...if it would suck Nintendo would close at this point in time, like Sega did :D so i expect that they work on their controller system to create an innovative experience for gamers....the iphone is a phone :) you use it to send email, to call people...multimedia contents...is not a toy like a console :)

38. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Sorry, but no. Currently the #1 paid app in the App Store is a racing game, and the available controls are quite well suited to that sort of thing. I guess the work, family, and house stuff has prevented you from actually playing anything on the iPhone (in addition to not reading Unity announcements ;) ), but I've played a couple dozen games so far, and there's far more that can be done well besides puzzle and trivia games. Some games have annoying controls, but many don't. The ones that do have annoying controls are usually down to lack of skill on the part of the developers, not anything inherent in the iPhone. I wouldn't want to play Unreal Tournament on it, but that hardly means the only alternative is more trivia games.

Again: no. Among other things, it is a console, and remember the iPod Touch is basically the same thing, minus the phone stuff. There are cheaper iPods if people only wanted to listen to music, but the Touch seems to be selling by the truckload, so obviously people are after it for more than just music. Kind of a waste of a 3D chip if the only thing it's ever used for is flicking through Coverflow, eh? There are already several web sites devoted to nothing but iPhone/Touch games.

Why should we? This is about Unity on the iPhone, and Unity is good at making games. :)

Frankly, that's your problem. Most people do like them. And please, let's be honest, and don't pretend that your comments would ever push anyone to not buy anything, so you don't have to worry about what you say. ;)

--Eric

39. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Eric, never said that you can't make a racing game :)i tried that game (is the prehistoric racer?), and i stoped to play after 5 minutes....is my problem maybe LOL
    Wanna talk about the force unleashed? :D for me the best apps that i got are brain challenge, poker tournament and beat...amazing examples of how you can have fun on a phone :D

never had any issue with the huge sales dictated by games; is only a matter that if you wanna sell a product to the masses, you gotta make games....nobody wanna play with databases lol. and btw the 3d chip was not planned for playing more than simple games...core itself is heavy as application (it works even if you do not have finder, since what you have on the touch and on iphone is a stripped down version of leopard ;) )

Unity is great for making games! otherwise i would not use it and stick with XNA :) it makes everything easier; and i am curious to see the products made with it! Let's make a bet, you and me.....let's count how many Unity applications/games will be on the app store in 6 months, and let's see how many of them will be innovative with the controls (and playable :D); so we can see if what i say is pure madness or if i am simply out of the hype :)

I like Apple products for certain functionalities and features, but they are overpriced, overrated, and totally aimed to get you with the hype, and then smooth the experience with the real product; I love my mac pro when it works with Vista and when it run Poser, Unity, cinema 4d and many other stuff together (7Gb are not a little of memory LOL); but at this moment, i still have to move on Win platform to do many things, because the stuff on Macos is not fitting my needs (again, could be my problem, and i agree that noone pointed a gun at me and told me "buy it!" :D).

I am honest, otherwise i would be another butt-kisser on the face of the planet...and seems taht we have more mouth than asses to kiss LOL
    (sorry for the un-elegant joke)...if i can make profit from apps i would buy unity iphone version, but i am more oriented on computer games and applications for windows (waiting for U2.5 on win of course), but in teh future, if as you said, the phone will get into the big business as game platform (like the PC, that was not meant to be a game platform when was designed), i will bow and admit that i saw it more darker than how it really is ;)