Search Unity

Unity iPhone 1.6 Now Available!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Mar 4, 2010.

1. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Today we are excited to announce the release of Unity iPhone 1.6! This release contains both new features and of course bug fixes and improvements. The big three new features are:

* Reduce app build size, apps can be up to 25% smaller than before!
    * .NET 2.1 support which now includes generics and offers easier porting from Unity 2.6.
    * Support for our mutiplayer networking features, now you can do multiplayer on the iPhone too!

Of course there's more so instead of repeating that all here I'll direct you on to the what's new page on our site:

What's New in Unity iPhone 1.6

As always it's a free update for existing license holders so come n' get it!

2. ahloyan

ahloyan

thank you for another update

just one question

when you say added multiplayer support ..is that with basic or is it a pro feature

3. Malveka

Malveka

I'm just getting started with Unity iPhone development and I am immensely pleased and relieved to see the support for .NET 2.1 and generics. I was not looking forward to working without support for generics.

Thanks UT! :D

Mal

4. zumwalt

zumwalt

Wait, did you just roll some Advanced features into Basic?
    No way.. and updated Mono in iPhone ?? (looks at a release of Unity itself around the corner announcement)

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

I doubt that networking works in basic, as the sockets themself are an advanced only feature.

6. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Sorry y'all, the networking multiplayer stuff is in fact Advanced only, we forgot to push the new license comparison page on that one.

7. mehware

mehware

Congrats on the release. Keep it up Mr Unity.

8. kenlem

kenlem

Yes! I would write more about how much I love Unity but I have get cracking on mulitplayer!

BTW, my current iphone app is at #18 on the entertainment charts. Thank you, Unity!

9. zumwalt

zumwalt

Bummer but grads on the great new release!
    I am saving my nickle to pay for 3.0 when ever it is released and what ever the upgrade for that flavor of iPhone will be otherwise I would upgrade now.

10. giyomu

giyomu

hehe pretty cool

thanks guys for that update ;)

11. wuming0108

wuming0108

could give us a multiplayer example or
    the networking example could run with unity iphone 1.6?

12. D22888

D22888

Just downloaded the update...
    Looks good, Excited about networking support!

Okay, not to be a poop-head, but when is the Unity iPhone UI going to match the Unity Desktop UI?

For example the Play/Pause/Step buttons are Top Center on Unity Desktop, but they are in the lower left on the iPhone version...
    Probably one thing I would love is the select all issue to go away....
    Being a Mac user since forever, the CMD + Q/W/A/S buttons are instinctual by now... When in Unity Desktop select any game object and in the inspector under Transform click in one of the boxes to change the value, hit CMD-A for select all and like normal the text is selected... Perform the exact same operation in Unity iPhone and watch the insanity that ensues.....

Drives me nutz, especially on a project that has many objects in a scene..

Ok done being a party pooper for now... I just get a lil sad every update hoping for an interface lift.

But I still say good job, the update has some really nice new features!
    See you all at GDC

13. n0mad

n0mad

Kristin Kreuk finds you amazing.

14. hogus

hogus

Hopefully once i-phone and desktop have matching version numbers we'll see some progress on the desktop side again...

15. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Progress on Unity iPhone doesn't hinder progress on Unity, as past releases have shown. Especially considering that they have different teams.

--Eric

16. joew

joew

They are different teams... i.e. Aras works on Unity desktop, Renaldas works on Unity iPhone, etc.

17. IPete

IPete

As always, thanks for all the hard work which goes into a release (of any nature) - I'm really looking forward to the multiplayer aspects and testing stuff like this on iPhone.

18. Jehsup

Jehsup

Great work. Bigtime update. Networking additions and .Net 2.1 support excite me specifically.

19. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

Great work as always but i am a bit sad... :cry:

I'm mid way through dev on my project and want to update but know I shouldn't... everything is working tickety-boo with 1.5 and I don't want to break my development (although I would like the reduced app size).

I think i'll have to wait until I'm finished and then release an update using 1.6.

(** has anyone had any issues moving 1.5 -> 1.6? We all know I'll do it as I can't wait! LOL! **)

Best regards and thanks again UT,
    Matt.

20. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

I don't think progress on desktop side has ever stopped. As a funny side fact, here's a graph of Unity source code commits over time, all the way back to mid-2005. I don't see that as "slowing down".

But hey, GDC is just around the corner, maybe we'll have some announcements there.

Attached Files:

21. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

What he said. :)

Anyone with some sort of feeling that one side is getting more than the other should take a second and review the releases and dates from the last year:

March 18, 2009: Unity 2.5
    April 27, 2009: Unity iPhone 1.0.2
    June 17, 2009: Unity iPhone 1.0.3
    July 7, 2009: Unity 2.5.1
    August 25, 2009: Unity iPhone 1.5
    October 28, 2009: Unity 2.6
    November 20, 2009: Unity iPhone 1.5.1
    December 1, 2009: Unity 2.6.1
    December 22, 2009: Unity Asset Server 2.0
    March 4, 2010: Unity iPhone 1.6.1

Looks fairly balanced to me. :D

22. D22888

D22888

Correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it, prior to 1.6 the iphone version of unity didn't support unity's networking. Now you should be able to use it if you have advanced.

That being the case, is there any docs regarding the specific limitations/changes needed to be made to get a networked game to run on the iphone.

For example the Unity networking example project doesn't work with unity iphone 1.6, is there something that has been released or is going to be released to go over the differences?

If there is something and I have missed it would someone point me to where that is so I can go there and kick myself...

23. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Yup, that's why it's listed as a new feature in the Unity iPhone 1.6 release (previously our iPhone support didn't include that).

Check the documentation for the basics on the multiplayer features.

The demo team is busy finalizing things for GDC next week so don't expect anything right away but we do have a multiplayer example project for Unity iPhone in the works. It's not complete nor polished enough to share just yet so you'll have to give us a bit more time, but it's on their radar, just not until we clear next week... :)

24. D22888

D22888

Ah ha, I see....
    Look forward to that.
    For now it will be time for some pant-seat flying!

25. uberhamster

uberhamster

Hey could you clarify something please?

Regarding the bullet point that says "Improved compatibility with Xcode GDB debugger/instruments. Xcode profiler is supported now.", could you clarify whether this means a specific instrument in Instruments or Shark? Still trying to figure out how to deep profile Unity iPhone code. =\

26. hogus

hogus

Sorry guys, I don't mean to detract from the work that developers are doing on this, I'm a developer myself, so I understand the pressures of the job.

Maybe it's just that I'm to used to the corporate environment. Our clients jump on us when there are bugs and expect a quick and nimble release cycle. They would rather have a fix than a fanfare.

I'm also somewhat jealous that I can't hang around at these conferences. :)

27. hogus

hogus

Wait... let me make a constructive suggestion.

The point I'm trying to make is that it doesn't matter how many times code gets checked in if the result isn't evaluated by the client.

And I understand that you don't want end users to re-download the plug in ever month.

So how about if we could have a separate track where developers actually get to use release candidates and see how things fare, rather than having to wait around for four months to have any idea what path the platform is going to take.

I know this isn't how sales people like to do things... They like to punt new (and improved) features. But we aren't buying fabric softener here.

28. hogus

hogus

Matching version numbers,
    Access to betas....

How interesting.

29. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

All decided LOOOOOOOONG before any of your posts... ;)

30. hogus

hogus

So you say...

At least we're on the same wavelength here. 8)