Search Unity

Unity iOS App + App Clip

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Patrick_Jacquemont, Mar 10, 2022.

1. Patrick_Jacquemont

Patrick_Jacquemont

Hi!

We are creating an AR app made with Unity and AR Foundation and we would like to associate our app with an App Clip.

Is it possible to create an App Clip from a Unity app?

I understand that Unity builds may be too heavy to be used as App Clips.

Otherwise, is it possible to associate a Unity app with an App Clip created on SceneKit or RealityKit and to upload it on the App Store?

How could we achieve that? Is it possible to add a custom App Clip to an app archive made with Unity?

Thanks in advance!

DavidSuperUltra likes this.
  2. Neonlyte

Neonlyte

Unity generates a complete Xcode project which you can add a new build target for the app clip and write code there directly like a usual iOS app.

For a better maintainability, I recommend only building out the Framework part of the Unity player using the Unity-generated Xcode project, and embed that framework into a separate App project where you also write your app clip code. This way, you don't have to mess with Unity overwriting the Xcode project during regeneration.

However, if you really are going to invest time into using the iOS SDK directly, probably you don't really need to use Unity for this as you could share a large amount of code between your app clip and your actual app. And I assume when you go to Android/Google Play, you want to adopt their Instant App too, which a Unity Android build is also too large for it.

(Unity does have a DOTS-based Project Tiny experiment that can build very small binaries, but that is no where near production ready. )

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    DavidSuperUltra likes this.
  3. Suwas93

Suwas93

@Neonlyte Are there any updates on this front?