Search Unity

Unity iOS and Android Basic licenses FREE until April 8th

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DanielQuick, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.T

Mr.T

This might be a tough question but once activated before April 8th will they be valid upon re install.
    Supposing for some reason, if I were to think that my unity installation is broken and I wanted to reinstall it on the same machine again after April 8th but I had activated the license before April 8th, will that license be still valid?

I don't mean to annoy you and I know that sometime all the official information does not percolate out to all the staff, but give me some info on this if you know please.

2. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Once a key is activated, you don't need to activate again!

I think... :-0 now I'm worried

3. adaman

adaman

So I need to buy a mac and activate my iOS license before April 8th?

4. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

As someone said earlier in the thread you can activate the iOS license on Windows so no need to buy a Mac simply to do this before April 8th.

5. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

So I don't need to do anything special to activate my iOS license on windows (I already entered in the license code)?

Sorry, I'm so paranoid about this right now! :)

6. Mordekai

Mordekai

After April 8th I buy a Mac, can my free iOS license be activated on the Mac even though I first installed it on a Windows machine?

Thanks.
    M.

7. adaman

adaman

I'm assuming you will be able to, otherwise you'd never be able to use it.

8. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Yes, activations can be transferred to other computers... the main point here is to activate it before April 8th. These are real licenses and we're not trying to pull anything sneaky so no need for the paranoia ;-)

9. welby

welby

Both a Gentleman and a Scholar..!

/bow

Thank you for the clarification!

:)

10. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Awesome, thanks!

11. Mr.T

Mr.T

Ah ok, thanks a lot. I breathe easier now

(Never suspected anything sneaky though. Its just that some of us are knowledge deficient about the re-installation situation. Its uncharted territory for me. I have upgraded my Unity installation now and then. Never ever done a complete removal and re-install).

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  12. l4teral

l4teral

Thank you unity! I'm now a fan of yours untill I die.

13. imRobert

imRobert

I finally managed to re-active Unity with the free serial number for iOS and Android.

I tried one more time first w/o changing anything. But of course it failed. This was also to make sure that failure to re-activate was not some problem already resolved at the activation server's side.

For anyone bumping into the same road block :
    Help >> Enter serial number... showed a small popup window with the message that Unity was already activated. Clicking the reactivate button, caused an immediate lockup of Unity with high CPU usage. The larger popup window to select Internet or Manual activation wouldn't even appear. And no browser window would be opened.
    I first had to uninstall Unity Free, clean the registry with CCleaner, delete the Unity folder in C:\Program Files (x86) and in C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Local and reboot. After re-installing Unity Free everything went as smooth as it could, within 3 minutes I could enter the free serial number into the form at the bottom of the web page that had opened.
    iOS and Android targets are not greyed out anymore now. And the Help >> About Unity... popup window mentions at the bottom right : "License type: Unity, iPhone, Android" with the serial number right under it.

I probably should have chosen the upgrade version instead.

Anyway thanks for the free license. :)

(I'll probably lose the other 999,998 licenses I "purchased". This weekend I will also activate on my MBP. First find out if I can get some of my stuff running on a tangible Android device.)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  14. RyanSchurton

RyanSchurton

This is Awesome. Unity is Awesome. Thanks a lot Unity. Keep Being Awesome.

15. ddesmond

ddesmond

A rebate on the pro versions for people who bought these licenses would have been nice.

16. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

have you emailed unity about this? I thought I remembered hearing that they would give you a refund if you purchased the android and iOS licenses within a certain time.

17. VeraxOdium

VeraxOdium

My experience has been no refund, however if you purchased IOS and or Android Basic within 30 days of the promotion you'll receive a credit for that amount towards pro.

18. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Yeah that's what it was. I was close enough.

19. imRobert

imRobert

"before April 8th", but in which time zone?
    I first want to upgrade my MBP to Lion 10.7.3 (from Snow Leopard) before installing Unity.
    Are your activation server(s) not working this Easter? :)

20. MABManZ

MABManZ

Procrastinated on getting my iOS license...can't seem to sign into the store? Is something wrong?

21. goat

goat

You can upgrade to Lion with Unity already installed and you can upgrade xCode with Unity installed.

22. MABManZ

MABManZ

I'm a Windows system, don't have a Mac atm but was going to get one when I port my Android game...do I need to be running on a Mac to get the iOS license?

23. Overunity3d

Overunity3d

I simply can not get the activation to work. I have downloaded it thrice with the keys to no avail.
    I had the previous free trial of pro and the activation is complaining. It is now the 7th of April and I can not get this to update. The android in the build settings will not enable.

What to do? Will Unity3d give a grace period to get this problem solved or am I left wailing in the darkness? Cast out as a [Not included]. Excluded because I am not worthy?
    What should be a simple process was obviously not fully tested and now the consumer is neglected. Oh the shame. And I have a really great game to push.

I have taken steps toward UDK but the migration is a killer. A rewrite is not in the world's best interest.

Can any offer this developer any hope? A light in the darkness? A simple crumb fallen to the floor before the dogs get it? I am human and need contact and to be included in the vestiges of commadarie... Before I am overwhelmed with the despair of aloness...

Shall my plea be heard before the executioner sets the gallows onward? Shall I swing in solitude till my last breath escapes the clutches of life?

Send an email to paul@denver.net or phyzxengr@gmail.com if you have an answer.

If we are to be one then this is where it starts...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  24. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

are using internet activation and not manual activation?

25. goat

goat

No, the license is combined (ios android use same license)

26. goat

goat

Try not to be so dramatic or accusatory, it's not condusive to sympathy needed to get help. I activated and had already used a pro trial as well.

Try again but use Chrome as the browser to activate in. IE 9's strict security causes (a lot) of problems sometimes.

27. Overunity3d

Overunity3d

I am using Firefox 11.0. I avoid IE at all costs.
    Not dramatic or accusatory. Simply Orwellian Shakespeare. :cool:

Downloaded and used Google Chrome.
    The activation process reports activated.
    The build settings reports activated.
    And a hip hip hooray!
    Salutations and Congratulatory expressions to Andy.
    And a mighty [Lets get on with the true work at hand!]

I raise my glass to the conquerors of the process.

Just poking my headache with the funny stick is all.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  28. MABManZ

MABManZ

Still no luck signing in to upgrade license...I am screwed?

29. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

What exactly are you having problems with? I'm having no troubles at all signing in. When you purchased the license, did you try activating it inside unity?

30. MABManZ

MABManZ

I can't actually "sign in"...the email input form just turns into a red color when I click the button. No error messages, no loading message.

I actually just registered a new account w/ an alternate email and was able to obtain both licenses on it (for some reason it allowed me to sign in with a different email), but I would like to get iOS on my original account as I have made a few asset store purchases...

31. imRobert

imRobert

I realize that. But I was already clean installing Snow up to the latest 10.6.8, then wanting to upgrade to Lion 10.7.3 from the AppStore.
    It's April 8th. I didn't make it. Never mind. Live goes on.
    The clean installation was more important to me than the free license.

32. timetopat1

timetopat1

Just so I understand, if you bought unity3d android a month before the offer, you get money towards android pro? What if you never intended to get android pro? If i get 400 dollars towards it, it is still 900, which is money I didnt have to get it, the first time around. Or do we get unity 3d store credit?

I have emailed them a couple times, and they told me to wait until the 8th of april. Would it be wise to email them tomorrow or the next day?

33. hike1

hike1

I got a serial number but I can't put it in if I check 'free' it keeps putting a UnityLicence.ilf on my HD and the ios and android build settings
    are grayed out, yes I wrote support for what it's worth.

34. Midnight Studios

Midnight Studios

I had just nabbed these up just before it ended.. I am looking forward to developing for IOS

35. hike1

hike1

I got a serial number but I can't put it in

If firefox is open, it won't go to the license website, it has to be closed.

36. mgear

mgear

Can I install the free licence to trial version of unity..?
    (i mean, after the trial is finished, will I still have the free ios licence there..?)

37. Demigiant

Demigiant

Actually, from what I know, if you didn't already install it once (and thus completed the registration for it), it's too late now. 8th of april was the deadline not only for purchasing it for free, but also for the initial registration from within Unity editor. Though I might be wrong, hopefully.

38. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I remember reading that you cannot register the free licenses after april 8th.

39. Tanel

Tanel

Well, I got an email from UT:

So it seems there's still time for people who haven't activated their license yet.

40. DMJohn0X

DMJohn0X

Im just incredibly sad that I missed out on such a huge opportunity

What do you think the odds are of this promotion taking place again?.

41. Vert

Vert

Well, first they made a free version of Unity with 2.6. Then 3.5 = free Android and iOS Basic licenses... 4.4 =???!!! Too little data to define a pattern, but one can hope? The folks at UT are extremely generous though. Perhaps another promotion will occur later, perhaps not. Time will tell.

42. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Sorry to hear that :(

43. mgear

mgear

You can still activate it before 20th..

but still wondering if it works for trial..need to email support..

44. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Its a shame they have to be activated by he 20th. I was saving a set for when I get an Imac, unless your activated account continues over to other desktops?

45. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I think you can get unity to switch it over.. at least that is what they told me.

46. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

That would be great!

47. imRobert

imRobert

And, just in case, after a hardware component replacement/upgrade, or in case of a forced early migration (after a sudden melt-down, where uninstallation is not possible) :

48. mgear

mgear

got reply,
    main points:

"
    If you have a pro trial and a separate basic license with an iOS add on then you will not be able to use them both.
    If you upgraded your trial license to include the free iOS add on, then when the trial runs out the iOS add on will disappear with it.
    "

49. DeLo

DeLo

Not looking into the forums for a while i missed this free iOS license!!!

Just stuck with unity indie + iOS 1.7 basic here.

I hope unity will do this again and that i will not miss it this time.

Any chance that someone have a free license not used (if it's allowed to transfer license)?

Thanks in advance

Edited license number

50. stompqa

stompqa

I'm in the same situation. I've been living in a vacuum and completely missed the news about this. Would anyone happen to have an extra license they would be willing to donate?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.