Search Unity

Unity iOS and Android Basic licenses FREE until April 8th

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DanielQuick, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

According to Unity over 50% of the business is mobile and this latest promotion has attracted 20k new users.

http://www.mobile-ent.biz//news/read/unity-half-of-our-business-is-mobile

2. imRobert

imRobert

How good looking are YOU, and how much does she spend on you ?" :p

3. c-Row

c-Row

I don't know how much it was, but she upgraded me to a Single User License after being Freeware for some years. ;) Guess I don't look too bad after all then.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  4. imRobert

imRobert

lol, good reply. :)

5. npsf3000

npsf3000

Sure she didn't just aquire you for your assets.... or your assets?

6. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Or his arsets ;)

7. c-Row

c-Row

I am not allowed to comment on that, or else I will get my assets handed to me... :D

8. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

Thanks Unity for this offer, even if it's little hard for me (I've bought the IOS basic licence for 400$ a fwe months ago...)

9. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Well, i made the jump to iOS and Android licenses, but iOS doesn't work on my system :(

10. Facewound

Facewound

I feel incredibly cheated, this is the second time I've been burned buying an engine licence, same thing happened recently with Torque and "Free upgrades forever" that i paid for turned out to be paid upgrades every time. Discounting a product like this is incredibly selfish but I understand the motive. Obviously it pulls more people into the engine that otherwise wouldnt use it, more sales through the asset store and sales of pro licences but it alienates your existing user base who have paid good money for a product that is now available completely free. When Torque had issues I moved over to unity given the track record and the hope that they dealt with community and existing paying customers properly but this just shows a fairly high level of selfishness and absolute ignorance towards current customers.

11. Jaimi

Jaimi

You were mad at torque for charging for "free" updates, and now you're mad at unity for Not charging for paid updates. You're not making sense.

12. Facewound

Facewound

Fairly sure I am, two completely different scenarios the similarity being that after paying for a game engine one way or another I have ended out of pocket for the two companies wishing to claw in some extra revenue irrespective of current customers. Cant say I appreciate being out of pocket due to entirely selfish motives with no thought given to those of us who have already shelled out on a licence, had I waited i would be $400 up and have both licences for free.

13. DavidB

DavidB

You still haven't really lost anything. You paid for the software as it was at the time of purchase. On top of this if you ever wish to upgrade to a pro license, I do believe you get a 400 dollar discount that others who obtained their license for free will not get. You've simply put your investment in first. If you have no desire to go pro, then just really grind hard with the license you do have and push a few products out, regaining 400 bucks should not be too hard to do, and you'll be square.

14. Facewound

Facewound

Your right and I think I will eventually want to upgrade my android licences to pro but Im still feeling fairly hard done by because if for some reason I decide not to go pro then I am still $400 down, it only pays off should I want to spend another $1100. Some small token like an additional 10/20% off pro to just make it feel worth while would have been nice to make up for the fact that someone who has paid nothing is in the exact same position to release a game as I am after paying for my licence. Just some small effort to make it atleast look like they thought about people who had already bought the licence really would have made the difference. The money off pro is just what is to be expected, the reason the people with free android/ios licences will not be receiving money off while i would like to think is them thinking of current customers but in reality the extra 400 they will have to pay only benefits unity and thats where these free licences pay off for them.

15. runner

runner

+1

I cant help but feel sympathy for people in this position its like a cold slap in the face

16. imRobert

imRobert

Reactivation of Unity Free is still not working for me. This time, I tried a couple of times at home first. with and without disabled firewall and disabled virus scanner. Thinking it might be something in my router settings, I tried at a friend's. Again nothing. So I tried the public library, and an internet cafe. No luck for me (yet).

Any thoughts?

17. Heu

Heu

Yes i got it!!

Sadly i only have an Iphone, but no mac

and i have no Andriod, but Windows 7 :(

18. imRobert

imRobert

When you're ready for it, you could look into a (temporary) solution like the service mentioned in the code block below.
    I do not know and can not recommend this particular company, because I have no experience with them.
    Code (csharp):
    1. XCode Plan - XCode Development Environment : http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1134689

19. tachyonix

tachyonix

Lucky me...I bought my Android license a few weeks ago, before I found out that I can't sell on Android Market from Romania.

20. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Heya,

I'm confused. I already own Unity Pro and Unity Pro IOS. Does this promotion allow me to get a 'free' upgrade to Unity Pro Android? Is there something I'm missing? Isn't that a $1500 discount.

Gigi.

21. Demigiant

Demigiant

No, you just get a "free" upgrade to Unity Android basic.

22. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

You can add Android Basic to your current license and use it for free... Which will also allow you to upgrade to Android PRO (now or a later time) with a $400 discount...

23. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Are we allowed to make commercial games with these freely obtained iOS/Android licenses? And since they are licenses, are we allowed to mix using Unity Pro and these mobile licenses in the same organization?

24. lmbarns

lmbarns

Yessir!!

25. Demigiant

Demigiant

You can do anything you'd be allowed to do with a regularly purchased iOS/Android basic license.

26. cannon

cannon

Yes, they can be used for commercial releases. Yes they can be attached to Unity pro licenses as well.

27. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

YAY! This is awesome!

28. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

No, it will only give you the basic android license.

29. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

I don't want to attach them, I'm asking if I can mix using these freely obtained mobile licenses with pro ones on the same team/organization.

Since you are not allowed to mix pro and non pro in the same organization (can't just buy one Pro license and have the rest use free), I asked if its at least allowed to mix mobile licenses with Pro licenses, and sales said yes.

Now I'm asking if this still applies since we got these mobile licenses for free.

30. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

If anyone else in the organization has Android Pro, no you can’t.
    If everyone else in the organization has Unity Pro, iOS Pro, but no Android Pro, then you can.

Mind you: if you are talking about people not working in an organization, anyone can do what they want (as far as I know.) If you pay someone to do work in Unity, and he works in basic, it's his business. You don’t have to use Basic just because the guy you hired uses it. Same goes around, but you may have issues with a project someone else did using features not available to you.

31. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Thanks! I'm assuming when you say can or can't in your example is about the basic Android license? The basic iOS license would work the same way then.

32. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

Yes. Basically, the way the rules are written, it's either all Pro or all Basic on any given feature, although you can mix up Unity Pro with iOS basic.

If Flash ends up becoming the same thing, with a basic and pro license, I take it that would see the same restriction.

33. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Two things: 1) the item in question is Unity Android BASIC (not pro - and there are differences). 2) If you already have pro licenses, there are some limitations. I talked to a Unity rep today and he gave me the following advice:

I confirmed with him in a follow up. We are already user's of Unity pro and work on a team (ie SVN). Mixing basic and pro is not advisable, but if we get the free basic now (and just let it sit there), then it will save us $$ later.

Gigi.

34. BLF-Games

BLF-Games

I just logged to thank unity team for this opportunity. You have NO IDEA how much it costs in my country...
    One of my happiest days ever! thanks thanks so much for this.
    Can't think of any words to thank you enough...

35. SevenBits

SevenBits

This is incredible! I'm snagging these ASAP!

Quick question for you Unity vets: if I don't have a Mac, can I still get the Mac license for the future when I hopefully do have one.

36. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

You need to activate the licenses by April 8th. They will no longer work if not activated by then.

37. SevenBits

SevenBits

Thank you very much. I doubt I'll have a Mac by then, so can I activate on a Windows machine just to activate it, then move to a Mac (because you get two activations per key)?

38. jin76

jin76

I would also like to know this information

39. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

I'm honestly not sure if the iOS license can be activated on Windows. Has anyone tried it yet just for fun?

If this is an issue I'll bring it up with the appropriate people here.

40. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Yes you can. I have done so.

41. jin76

jin76

btw i was thinking of reinstalling my windows, will i be able to use the serial unlimited times on the same machine or is it a windows basis thing.

42. TehWut

TehWut

I can't believe this! I thought there would be some sort of gimmick involved, but no, now I have a legitimate non-expiring license!! I can not even express my gratitude for the awesome company that is UT!.

but...I'm sure they did this for a reason, as part of UT's master plan ;)

43. lmbarns

lmbarns

Unity should put together some promotional videos. I made a 12 min video just showing setting up an android build and people who've never seen Unity before were blown away. I suck at making videos, Unity could do a lot better...just showing people how fast it is to drag scripts onto objects, set variables in the editor, hit play, stop, make a few edits and play again, etc as it unfolds into an actual environment...better than any sales pitch...

44. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Technically, you CAN install OSX on PC (eg. "Hackintosh") or use Virtualization softwares (eg. VMWare) and install OSX as guest OS. But that's against Apple's TOS (Terms Conditions) even if you do buy OSX from the Apple store. You are only allowed to install OSX on Apple's hardware as stipulated by Apple's TOS.

Alternatively, you can just buy a Mac Mini - which is only $599. Even if you are working at a minimum wage job of around $7 an hour (average minimum wage in America : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._minimum_wages) mopping floor or cleaning toilet or stacking shelves at night - you can own a Mac in 2 weeks and one day just by working 8 hours a day. ($7 x 8 hours a day x 5 days per week x 2 weeks + 1 more day = $616 ). Take two jobs if you have rent to pay or food to buy! It is seriously far easier than hacking around trying to install OSX on PC.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  45. SPIKY

SPIKY

Is this official?

Because I have received a contradictory statement from unity by mail, in answer to my question if the serials can be activated after april 8th:
    "Aslong as you have bought the licence then it will not disappear if you have not yet activated it on a machine."

I wasn't planning on buying a mac until the new macbooks came along, but if the serials need the be activated before apr 8th, I might have to rethink this decision...
    Could we get a definitive answer on this one?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  46. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

@aNTeNNa trEE, is unity going to alow cancelation of it on computers? i got an IOS licence for free, ill use it on PC so it dosent get deleted, but can i then cancel it and have it installed on 2 macs?

47. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Yes, the serial numbers will no longer work after April 8th so you need to activate them before that date.

48. imRobert

imRobert

This is going to be fun. Suspense is rising, because all attempts at reactivating my Unity Free are failing. High CPU usage, and locked up Unity Editor are all I get. WTFAIDW?
    Maybe I shouldn't be as cheap as this guy :

49. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Can I install it on my windows, then when I get a mac (past April 8th) can I install it on there? (And then if I want too uninstall it on my windows?)

50. welby

welby

I didn't 'pay' for anything, technically..but I did go through the 'buying' process,..add to cart,.. receive an invoice,..etc,..simply because it was 'free'.

Not sure if this counts as 'buying',..and I hope it doesn't disappear,..but if it does,.so be it,...

I recently got my android working and it's great. Except I have to convert all my OnMouse stuff to Touch/rayCast :p

I was wondering the same thing about the IOS licence. I have a PC...but I will buy a Mac for my wife soon and I'd love to get Unity on it since in order to outPut an IOS game it needs to be done from a Mac, afaik.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.