Search Unity

Bug Unity installer just deleted all the files & folders in its dir

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Kiori, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Kiori

Kiori

Using the 2017.3.0p2 installer, I was trying to create a new folder for unity, and it suddenly deleted the entire "Unity" folder that I was creating the install folder on. Along with all of the scripts and projects I had saved in it!
    Luckly there was nothing of value there, but this is a major issue!
    From now on I'll be advised that the linux editor is dangerous.
    There are no logs, so i don't have anything to attach. :/

This was on Fedora 27 btw, gnome desktop.

Edit: Build is really buggy btw, I reported a bug because it "crashes" every time i close it.
    And the font is really small at 1080p, but that seems to be known

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  2. Kiori

Kiori

Haven't been able to reproduce it, but my guess is it had something to do with the 'remove directory' process that happens if you dont use a folder you create. For whatever reason the program went crazy and remove the entire folder where the new folder was being created.

3. Kaepora

Kaepora

I just had exactly the same bug with UnitySetup-2018.1.0b8 on Ubuntu 16.04 but it was clearly more annoying for me: I tried to install unity3D in /opt so I ran the installer with root privilege. Within the installer, I tried to create the folder /opt/unity3d and it immediately deleted the whole /opt folder. It means that /opt itself, and of course all programs I had installed into it, has been deleted. This is the worst bug I have ever seen in an installer in my whole life! It must been fixed ASAP with the highest priority.

Kiori likes this.
  4. FMark92

FMark92

I hear your woes but
    what were you thinking?

5. Kaepora

Kaepora

I was thinking about installing something on /opt (where only root can write, which is normal) and didn't expect an installer from Unity to contain malicious commands or huge bugs like deleting folders. I think these are not high expectations.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Kiori likes this.
  6. Kiori

Kiori

I agree. This erodes the trust we've put in Unity.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

This just happened to me

So I grabbed the latest Unity for Linux installer from here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-on-linux-release-notes-and-known-issues.350256/page-2

cd ~/Downloads
    chmod +x UnitySetup-2018.1.0b8
    ./UnitySetup-2018.1.0b8

ok cool, it fired up an installer
    got to the section regarding where to install
    i selected an existing folder (Vault), selected 'create new folder' and created a new folder (Unity)
    so the path should have been ~/Vault/Unity just as it was while selecting when it dropped back to the installer screen it showed (None) under the file path and I was unable to continue forward
    more importantly UNITY DELETED MY ~/Vault FOLDER
    let me repeat
    UNITY DELETED MY ~/Vault folder along with everything in it...what in the F*** kind of S***** installer is this???????

following are the exact commands typed (taken from .bash_history)

cd ~/Downloads
    chmod +x UnitySetup-2018.1.0b8
    ./UnitySetup-2018.1.0b8
    ls ~/Vault
    ls

uhh...so wtf guys?

PS. It seems this has been known since last year?
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...f-directory-previous-existed-with-stuff-in-it
    which references Unity 2017.3.0p2 Linux Editor downloads
    seriously?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2018
    Kiori likes this.