Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Unity Installer incompatiblity with Mandatory ASLR, and Unity forum support failure

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by taylank, Sep 17, 2019.

1. taylank

taylank

I found this the hard way after spending five days trying to troubleshoot why Unity Hub would not install or uninstall anything for me. The problem appears to be the version of the installer software used by Unity, NSIS 2.x, which fails when you have the Mandatory ASLR option turned on in Windows Exploit Protection settings. Apparently versions of NSIS above 3.x won't have this problem, so Unity folks might wanna look into that. (source)

If you are having installation issues of similar nature, try this:
    Go to Windows Security -> App and Browser Control -> Exploit Protection Settings -> Turn off Force randomization for images (Mandatory ASLR) -> Restart the computer

The workaround was also suggested on this thread, and there is also a reported issue here, open since 2017, which you would find if you already knew that was your problem.

So why am I posting this again?

Because since it didn't occur to any Unity forum mods to point me in that direction in the last five days I've been desperately pleading for help, I'm assuming they are largely ignorant of the issue.

Asking people to file bug reports for you doesn't help anybody if you can't be bothered to check if this matches the pattern of already reported issues and point them to known workarounds. This is not proper customer support. It creates duplicate issues, wastes QA people's time, wastes the time of devs stewing in frustration trying to solve their own problems instead of working on their own projects.

So please take note this time. Installation problem + Mandatory ASLR = worth a mention.

aweha and blackgatebrooks like this.
  2. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

Hello @taylank ,

We thank you very much for your feedback and for the time and effort you spent to investigate the issue. I will discuss this problem with the hub team (It seems like we missed the old reports of this same issue). We will keep you updated if there is any improvements on this side.

The hub team is working on many features and trying to solve the most urgent bugs to satisfy its users. Thus, it's quite difficult for us to keep track on everything that is going on forums (which is also the purpose of the forum, trying to debug yourself with the help of other users). However, we are trying to improve our customers support and to dedicate more time and resources in order to help them. We took note of your important feedback and we will try to fix this as soon as possible.

Best regards !