Search Unity

Unity Inspector keeps freezing

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by suzee1993, Jun 13, 2020.

1. suzee1993

suzee1993

Hi there!

I've run into something weird and I've got no idea why it's doing what it's doing or how to fix it. Every time I add 2DBoxColliders to my gameobjects via the inspector it keeps freezing. Sometimes I can adjust the box collider and other times the added box collider won't even show up in the Inspector until I restart Unity.

I'm currently using 2019.3.9 but I've had the same problem in a previous version (2019.3.5) when I adjusted some values in a Character Controller component.

It's not a platform breaking bug but it's really annoying to have to restart Unity every time I add a BoxCollider to a gameobject.

Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

2. Nodrap

Nodrap

May not be related but I'm also getting the inspector freezing - in that it doesn't change to reflect what is being selected. This is in play mode after some use and maybe after using a breakpoint - but not found a reliable cause. Exiting play mode and back does resolve it. Almost feels like it errored on something in the background and then won't update again but the console shows nothing. Have found in 2019.4.3

3. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

I think I am experiencing same. Is this related?
    Inspector tab randomly glitching, must restart Unity every ~5 minutes.

I find my inspector tab randomly becomes unresponsive many times per day, requiring the editor to be restarted often and seriously impeeding development.

I have a I9 workstation PC running Windows 10 and I am currently using Unity 2019.3.9f1.

The bug occurs in complex scenes or even nearly blank projects.

Not sure what causes it and I have found no way to recover from it other than restarting the entire application.

I hope that Unity fixes this soon, it has cost so much time here. This easily costs me about one hour every day just recovering from it.

I just now ran the math and it made me cringe - when I "upgraded" to Unity 2019 back in January and this nightmare began occurring (1hr / day lost for 6 month to date) equaling ~180 hours lost per 6 months!! Ouch!

So this one tiny bug has cost me nearly 22 full 8 hour days in the past 6 months of just restarting Unity - and still counting!!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    WaqasGameDev likes this.
  4. BoneyPile

BoneyPile

For me, it always happens when copy pasting prefabs and spreading them around my level. Its a pretty reproduceable bug. Just grab a prefab, put it in the scene. CTRL+D to duplicate it. Spread it around the scene quite a few times. After a while the inspector goes blank.

WaqasGameDev likes this.
  5. WaqasGameDev

WaqasGameDev

I also have to restart unity many times. Sometimes every 5 minutes just because of inspector freezing. And this happens because of all the reasons mentioned above. Will there be any permanent solution to this?

6. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

WaqasGameDev likes this.