Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Incremental C# Compiler - deprecated

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by Dom_Laflamme, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

Refactoring in Rider much better than in VS, I say as developer who works with VS many years in enterprise dev and in game dev and swiched to Rider :)

2. Qbit86

Qbit86

I'm using both Visual Studio and Rider (and VS Code but not for IDE). Rider is not that stable as Visual Studio; they often have strange bugs (which would never pass Microsoft's QA); their UI is not always obvious/discoverable. But they are super-responsive and fix issues as fast as they can.

Hell yes! I'm having an issue with Rider's code inspection at the moment, and I'm sure if I go any further with this here; JetBrains will magically appear in comments here out from nowhere and will start asking for details to repro.

At least in Twitter this is how it works: you're complaining with @Rider and @JetBrains in mentions, and they just come to help you, not leaving you alone with your problems.

Quatum1000 likes this.
  3. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

This is why the firefox app browser has some strange bugs on Android as well.

Thanks for the honest information. I thought that it cannot be so perfect shiny. But ayway seems to be good.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  4. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

Absolutely disagree, VS very buggy and unstable, and veeeeery slow. As I say before after 6 year of hard work in VS in production switching to Riger gave me breath of fresh air.

5. Qbit86

Qbit86

It takes forever on my machine for Rider to start. And it's not loading some huge solution — it's opening initial screen with list of recent solutions.
    If we consider comparable environments: VS+R# vs. Rider (ReSharper and Rider share common backend) — then yes, Rider is faster than VS+R#. But VS alone with Roslyn analyzers is quite good.
    Not enough for me for crafting generic reusable libraries, which require all the power of code inspections to prevent some classes of bugs; so I had to purchase Rider a couple of years ago. But for everyday gamedev at work Visual Studio is quite OK.

6. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

On my machine loading solutions screen takes ~4-5 seconds :) Solution ~10-15 sec with modules inicialization :) I use SSD of course

7. Qbit86

Qbit86

But it's not normal, there is basically no expected heavy lifting at this point to take it so long. Visual Studio starts faster to open default screen. And overall impression of Rider interface is a little bit... Javish :) (I know I'm biased.) Text editing is not as smooth as in VS Code for example.

Anyway, I'm a huge fan of Rider and JetBrains and definitely would recommend give it a try.

For newcomers: consider using .editorconfig . It unifies settings between different editors and IDEs (including VS, VS Code, and Rider), so your transition to unfamiliar IDE would be easier, you will not need to dig deeply into the settings to get started.

8. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

VS never loads so fast to default screen :) Text editing completeley fine for me, and hey we compare VS vs Rider IDE not VSCode which not IDE actually ;) And I propose to end the discussion, because the taste has begun

9. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

I stay at VS. I will support Microsoft, because they give the stuff for free and this must be honored. Also haven't these problems in my huge project and VS used both on ramdisk 64GB and 64GB main (Rampage V Extreme). Response average is below 0.5sec all the time. Only start and end a working day takes about 7 minutes for synchronizing.

You can use the long response phase on slow machines to think about your next coding steps and what decide to do next and this prevents multiple wasting try and error sit and wait cycles.

10. MostHated

MostHated

There are a fairly decent number of ways to get the entire JetBrains Suite of tools for free as well, such as students, being an open-source developer, Microsoft MVP (and similar memberships), etc.

Qbit86 likes this.
  11. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

So what's the current status of this, TL;DR of the 11 page thread? Is Unity incremental compiler really deprecated?

Railon23 and illinar like this.
  12. illinar

illinar

Wait, that was my first thought as well, but incrimental GC != incremental compilation :)

13. Havokki

Havokki

Yup, noticed that too. You replied before I deleted my post :)
    Saw a notification and read the title wrong.

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'll lock this nugget of a thread :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.