Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Unity IAP unsupported for Kids Apps on iOS ? (at the moment)

Discussion in 'Unity IAP' started by Jonsi, Jul 1, 2020 at 10:41 AM.

1. Jonsi

Jonsi

Unity IAP is really great, but it seems that if you're using it in a kids app you're going to have a hard time releasing it on iOS. This is due to Unity Analytics being included with IAP, which violates Apple Guideline 1.3 - Safety - Kids Category ... details given below.

As far as I know, there is currently no solution (but I'd be very happy to be proved wrong on this).

To save other developers time, would the Unity IAP team consider either :-

1) Highlighting this restriction in the Unity IAP knowledge base https://support.unity3d.com/hc/en-u...28.727494493.1593447020-2036023412.1592647924 and/or pinning a message at the top of the Unity IAP forum.

2) If there is a robust solution, adding it to the Unity IAP knowledge base. Even if this solution is currently to use one of the several 3rd party assets on the asset store.

3) A fix that decouples IAP and analytics.

------------------------------

App rejected 30th Jun 2020, using Unity 2019.4.1f1 & Unity IAP 1.23.2

Guideline 1.3 - Safety - Kids Category

We noticed that your Kids Category app includes analytics, advertising and collects, transmits, or has the ability to share personal information or device information with third parties.

Your app includes the following feature(s), contrary to guideline 1.3 of the App Store Review Guidelines:

Third-party analytics or third-party advertising with the ability to collect, transmit or share identifiable information, including, for example, IDFA.

Next Steps

To resolve this issue, please remove this functionality or revise your app so that no personally identifiable information or device information is sent to third parties.--

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

3. Jonsi

Jonsi

@JeffDUnity3D It's the presence of the analytics that causes rejection for kids apps - not the IAP.

My post was just suggesting that if there is a known work around it would be soooooo helpful to make it more visible.

At the moment there seem to be fragments of knowledge and experience in various threads suggesting things that might work and then often people saying that those things have not been successful for them and they've given up and used a 3rd party asset without analytics instead.

As it stands, developers most likely won't be aware of this issue until they try to submit an iOS kids app for review. Even the suggestion to disable Analytics at runtime for iOS kids apps would be a useful start - as far as I'm aware you only discover this by digging in the forums once you encounter the problem (apologies if this is not the case).

I say this with all the best motives. Unity is such a fantastic product and you guys do such a great job helping with people's issues.

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

I can assure you that I am not hiding any known workarounds. If Analytics is the issue, then you should be able to disable Analytics at runtime. Indeed, I've read reports that the stores accepted the app the very next day after prior rejection, without any submission by the developer. It's not consistent. My current theory is that IAP may be sending an event, even with Analytics disabled. A Charles capture would confirm. But I've see similar reports already, and I have let the IAP team know.

5. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

This is the code that should disable Analytics at runtime. Place it in either in Awake() or a method with the OnLoad attribute set

https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/RuntimeInitializeOnLoadMethodAttribute.html

Analytics.initializeOnStartup = false;
    Analytics.enabled = false;
    PerformanceReporting.enabled = false;
    Analytics.limitUserTracking = false;
    Analytics.deviceStatsEnabled = false;

It would be interesting to see what the Charles capture would look like during an IAP purchase

6. Jonsi

Jonsi

7. Jonsi

Jonsi

@JeffDUnity3D OK - so I tried the above - but I went a bit off piste and set Analytics.limitUserTracking = true (let me know if I should have left it as false).

As you predicted, I do get a call to ecommerce.iap.unity3d.com

Charles.jpg

One thing that may or may not be relevant:-
    I inserted the disable analytics code on the Awake of the controller script of my first scene, but when I watched the logs in Xcode I get some UnityIAP activity before this code is executed.
    LogOrder.jpg

Let me know if any more info/captures would help.

Oh also the IAP code doesn't work when Charles Proxy is being used - I'm guessing this is expected behaviour? When I disabled it all worked again.

Any ideas what the call to ecommerce.iap.unity3d.com is there for? I'm guessing this may be the kind of thing Apple would object to. Would it be classified as analytics? Any ideas what the call is for?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020 at 11:55 AM
  8. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

Yes, that appears to a call that we would use to track your IAP revenue on the Analytics dashboard, it should not be sent. We are working on that. But it's not definite yet if that is the issue that Apple is concerned with. Did you add the CharlesProxy.unitypackage to your project? The request is still encrypted, it may contain the deviceID.

9. Jonsi

Jonsi

Ah no - I didn't add that package to my project. Should I have? I interpreted the document as saying that this step was just required for Android (to fiddle the manifest) - but I might have misunderstood. Maybe it does all sorts of things depending on your build? Should I include it for iOS and try again?

10. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

My mistake, clearly you're on iOS. The package is only for Android. Did you add the SSL Settings in Charles?

Attached Files:

11. Jonsi

Jonsi

Ah, not quite. I think in the doc it says to use wildcard *.* which I thought I'd done. I'll go and check and add the more specific unity settings as in your settings file above too.

12. Jonsi

Jonsi

@JeffDUnity3D OK - here is the detail. I've obfuscated some of the details - let me know if that renders it useless.

Also it may be worth adding your great SSLSettings.png to the Charles Proxy instructions doc.

So it looks like it sends some sort of device id and user id. I guess this may be problematic for Apple's new review requirements for kids? It sounds like it might be classified as "personally identifiable information or device information" which was the reason given for rejection? But I don't know exactly what is allowed and what is forbidden.

Charles2.jpg

13. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

Yes, that is concerning, I have let the IAP team know. And I have updated the doc, thank you for the feedback. If you limit the SSL to unity3d.com and unity.com without the *.*:* wildcard, IAP should still work with Charles running.

14. Jonsi

Jonsi

@JeffDUnity3D thanks. Any idea how long before we're likely to get any response from the IAP team? Do they have any contact with Apple to clarify what is allowed?

15. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

No ETA yet, I'm also in touch with our legal team and product teams here and we are trying to get more information.

16. Jonsi

Jonsi

@JeffDUnity3D OK. Many thanks for your help with this - much appreciated!

unityunity