Search Unity

Unity IAP not initializing on android

Discussion in 'Unity IAP' started by roberto_sc, Jan 15, 2018.

1. roberto_sc

roberto_sc

After failing to make Unity's IAP plugin work on android in my project I started a new project and a new app in Google Play Dev Console to try to run the IAP Demo that comes with the plugin.

I'm having the same result as in my project: neither OnInitialized nor OnInitializeFailed are called after starting the IAP service.

All I get from logcat is:

Code (CSharp):
    1. 01-15 18:08:16.646: I/Unity(9890): UnityIAP StandardPurchasingModule Version: 1.15.0
    2. 01-15 18:08:16.646: I/Unity(9890):
    3. 01-15 18:08:16.646: I/Unity(9890): (Filename: ./artifacts/generated/Android/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)
    4. 01-15 18:08:16.716: I/UnityIAP(9890): IAB helper created.
    5. 01-15 18:08:16.726: W/Unity(9890): CloudMoolah Fake Store CloudMoolahMode is invalid. Please use on Android device.
    6. 01-15 18:08:16.726: W/Unity(9890):
    7. 01-15 18:08:16.726: W/Unity(9890): (Filename: ./artifacts/generated/Android/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)
    8. 01-15 18:08:16.756: I/UnityIAP(9890): Starting in-app billing setup.
    9. 01-15 18:08:16.766: I/UnityIAP(9890): Billing service connected.
    10. 01-15 18:08:16.766: I/UnityIAP(9890): invoking callback
    11. 01-15 18:08:16.766: I/UnityIAP(9890): Checking for in-app billing 3 support.
    My project works in iOS. I'm using Unity 2017.2.0f3.

2. Benvictus

Benvictus

Hi Roberto,

Sorry to hear this is happening.

Have your products been set up on the Google Developer console? I guess you are able to initialize within the editor.

If your products are set up and initialization still fails, please send a support ticket to us via the support tab in the Analytics dashboard. We can then take a deeper look at your project.

3. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

I've been logging 'Billing Initialised' and 'Billing Initialisation Failed' events to analytics and I can see that almost 40% of my android users are experiencing the same result as the OP.

There must be some device state where billing forever tries to initialise but neither fails or succeeds. I can't figure it out though.

@roberto_sc Have you figured out what was wrong?

Has anyone else see this in their games, is it normal?

Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 3.45.27 PM.png

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Please put the appropriate Debug.Log statement inline into your code to confirm that the proper methods are being invoked. These should show in the logcat output.

5. roberto_sc

roberto_sc

Hi Antony, it was some misconfiguration in Google Developer console. I guess my app wasn't fully published.

6. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

Thanks for the info. Not the problem in my case unfortunately.

@JeffDUnity3D My graph shows that 200/350 DAU are initialising purchasing fine. Logcat won't help me here. It's working 100% as expected when I test it on my devices.

Edit: I know some of these will be hacked apk's and fake stores etc but I wouldn't have expected the ratio to be so high.

7. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

@Anthony-Blackett We would need a consistent repro scenario to reproduce and fix any potential issue. Are you able to identify a specific Android version or device model by chance?

8. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

Not currently. Is the new Bug Reporting system live? I could potentially detect these users and report bugs through that system and get all the info.

Unless download the analytics data has more info than i can access on the dashboard? But I guess that would only reveal the people who have logged events, we need the ones that aren't in this case.

9. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

@Antony-Blackett You would likely need to obtain version info from the users reporting the issue, but they would need to volunteer that info in their feedback up front. Or in your device testing.

10. ihgyug

ihgyug

Hey guys, I am having the "Purchase failed because Purchasing was not initialized correctly" problem too.
    I have a remove ad button on my game, but nothing happens when I click on it, and idk what's wrong, seems all is set up just fine.
    This is the script I am using, and all I do is calling the IAPManager.BuyRemoveAds() function from OnPurchaseComplete, in the IAP button. I set up correctly all the product info there too.
    Code (csharp):
    2. using System;
    3. using System.Collections.Generic;
    4. using UnityEngine;
    5. using UnityEngine.Purchasing;
    8. // Deriving the Purchaser class from IStoreListener enables it to receive messages from Unity Purchasing.
    9. public class IAPManager : MonoBehaviour, IStoreListener
    10. {
    11.     private static IStoreController m_StoreController;          // The Unity Purchasing system.
    12.     private static IExtensionProvider m_StoreExtensionProvider; // The store-specific Purchasing subsystems.
    14.     public static string PRODUCT_REMOVE_ADS = "removeads";
    16.     void Start()
    17.     {
    18.         // If we haven't set up the Unity Purchasing reference
    19.         if (m_StoreController == null)
    20.         {
    21.             // Begin to configure our connection to Purchasing
    22.             InitializePurchasing();
    23.         }
    24.     }
    26.     public void InitializePurchasing()
    27.     {
    28.         // If we have already connected to Purchasing ...
    29.         if (IsInitialized())
    30.         {
    31.             return;
    32.         }
    33.         var builder = ConfigurationBuilder.Instance(StandardPurchasingModule.Instance());
    34.         builder.AddProduct(PRODUCT_REMOVE_ADS, ProductType.NonConsumable);
    35.         UnityPurchasing.Initialize(this, builder);
    36.     }
    39.     private bool IsInitialized()
    40.     {
    41.         // Only say we are initialized if both the Purchasing references are set.
    42.         return m_StoreController != null && m_StoreExtensionProvider != null;
    43.     }
    45.     public void BuyRemoveAds()
    46.     {
    47.         BuyProductID(PRODUCT_REMOVE_ADS);
    48.     }
    50.     void BuyProductID(string productId)
    51.     {
    52.         // If Purchasing has been initialized ...
    53.         if (IsInitialized())
    54.         {
    55.             // ... look up the Product reference with the general product identifier and the Purchasing
    56.             // system's products collection.
    57.             Product product = m_StoreController.products.WithID(productId);
    59.             // If the look up found a product for this device's store and that product is ready to be sold ...
    60.             if (product != null && product.availableToPurchase)
    61.             {
    62.                 Debug.Log(string.Format("Purchasing product asychronously: '{0}'", product.definition.id));
    63.                 // ... buy the product. Expect a response either through ProcessPurchase or OnPurchaseFailed
    64.                 // asynchronously.
    65.                 m_StoreController.InitiatePurchase(product);
    66.             }
    67.             // Otherwise ...
    68.             else
    69.             {
    70.                 // ... report the product look-up failure situation
    71.                 Debug.Log("BuyProductID: FAIL. Not purchasing product, either is not found or is not available for purchase");
    72.             }
    73.         }
    74.         // Otherwise ...
    75.         else
    76.         {
    77.             // ... report the fact Purchasing has not succeeded initializing yet. Consider waiting longer or
    78.             // retrying initiailization.
    79.             Debug.Log("BuyProductID FAIL. Not initialized.");
    80.         }
    81.     }
    82.     public void OnInitialized(IStoreController controller, IExtensionProvider extensions)
    83.     {
    84.         // Purchasing has succeeded initializing. Collect our Purchasing references.
    85.         Debug.Log("OnInitialized: PASS");
    87.         // Overall Purchasing system, configured with products for this application.
    88.         m_StoreController = controller;
    89.         // Store specific subsystem, for accessing device-specific store features.
    90.         m_StoreExtensionProvider = extensions;
    91.     }
    94.     public void OnInitializeFailed(InitializationFailureReason error)
    95.     {
    96.         // Purchasing set-up has not succeeded. Check error for reason. Consider sharing this reason with the user.
    97.         Debug.Log("OnInitializeFailed InitializationFailureReason:" + error);
    98.     }
    101.     public PurchaseProcessingResult ProcessPurchase(PurchaseEventArgs args)
    102.     {
    103.         if (String.Equals(args.purchasedProduct.definition.id, PRODUCT_REMOVE_ADS, StringComparison.Ordinal))
    104.         {
    105.             PlayerPrefs.SetInt("RemoveAds", 1);
    106.             PlayerPrefs.Save();
    107.             Debug.Log(string.Format("You just removed Ads.", args.purchasedProduct.definition.id));
    108.             // TODO: The non-consumable item has been successfully purchased, grant this item to the player.
    109.         }
    110.         else
    111.         {
    112.             Debug.Log(string.Format("ProcessPurchase: FAIL. Unrecognized product: '{0}'", args.purchasedProduct.definition.id));
    113.         }
    115.         // Return a flag indicating whether this product has completely been received, or if the application needs
    116.         // to be reminded of this purchase at next app launch. Use PurchaseProcessingResult.Pending when still
    117.         // saving purchased products to the cloud, and when that save is delayed.
    118.         return PurchaseProcessingResult.Complete;
    119.     }
    120.     public void OnPurchaseFailed(Product product, PurchaseFailureReason failureReason)
    121.     {
    122.         // A product purchase attempt did not succeed. Check failureReason for more detail. Consider sharing
    123.         // this reason with the user to guide their troubleshooting actions.
    124.         Debug.Log(string.Format("OnPurchaseFailed: FAIL. Product: '{0}', PurchaseFailureReason: {1}", product.definition.storeSpecificId, failureReason));
    125.     }
    126. }
    Anyone have a clue what's wrong?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  11. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

12. ihgyug

ihgyug

Ye, configured. Is it mandatory to have alpha/beta test user? I simply published the apk with the IAP since it doesn't have plenty of downloads for now and I know the button (and the consequential removal of ads) itself work since it just works fine from editor.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  13. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Yes, you will receive "Initialization Failed" for any user other than a specified test user on a device. The first time you test the app, you'll need to download it from Google Play. Subsequently you can side load the app.

14. ihgyug

ihgyug

Solved! Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  15. Cairekishin

Cairekishin

I think I have the same problem Everting was working fine but wen I uploaded it to Google play am down load it, wen I click on my purchase button I got no feedback

16. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Make sure you are testing in an Alpha/Beta release, and testing with an account other than your developer account. And please provide the device logs. https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityIAPGoogleConfiguration.html and https://forum.unity.com/threads/how-to-capturing-device-logs-on-android.528680/ . You can test with the IAP Sample project here https://forum.unity.com/threads/sample-iap-project.529555/

17. mrm83

mrm83

We have having the same issue.

Some users are getting InitializationFailureReason.PurchasingUnavailable from OnInitializeFailed calledback. These are legit non hacking users with valid Google Account and payment methods.

How to debug what is wrong? These are real users.

18. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

The device logs would help to debug.

19. mrm83

mrm83

Not possible as these are REAL user.

20. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Understood, we are reviewing the code and looking for any possible regressions or issues that we may have introduced. Hopefully we'll find something for the next release.

21. mrm83

mrm83

The error also only returns 0,1, or 2. Is it possible for unity to expand on the error message?

The error is so generic it is practically useless.

22. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Sorry, what return value are you referring to?

23. mrm83

mrm83

from OnInitializeFailed calledback, the error InitializationFailureReason is only 0, 1, or 2.

24. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

25. BBO_Lagoon

BBO_Lagoon

Hi, some of my android users are experiencing the same thing, I added some logs and I see that after calling
    UnityPurchasing.Initialize, OnInitialized or OnInitializeFailed are never called.
    Does anyone found a solution or a reason to this problem ?

Alanmars0214 and giggioz like this.
  26. alex_unity241

alex_unity241

Do you have anymore details? Some of our users are also having issues.

27. BBO_Lagoon

BBO_Lagoon

Unfortunately no details at all... Some users can't get to initialize UnityPurchasing for some days and it's good some days after, some other never get to initialize it at all... Really hard to find out the problem.

28. alex_unity241

alex_unity241

Yeah for us it seems to be spiking as we roll out releases on each platform. It spiked when we pushed our newest release on Android and then most of those players that do get this bug seem unable to open the IAP after it happens to them. It's not a huge % of players.

On iOS it spiked after we pushed out but those players don't seem to be getting stuck in that state. We were personally not able to repro on Android but were able to repro on iOS but it didn't really give us much information.

We're still at a loss personally, we've spent a few days investigating and still can't find anything concrete.

29. _geo__

_geo__

giggioz likes this.
  30. BBO_Lagoon

BBO_Lagoon

@_geo__ Unfortunately the game that causing me problem is built with unity 2017.4.25 and It don't seems to be the problem I have, I tried to quit with the Application.Quit and after that the Unity purchasing still initialize well on my device.
    But thank anyway I have an other game build with 2019.1 and I just added the fix for this one.

31. alperki

alperki

We have a similar case on our games for nearly three weeks.

We suspect that it could be related to a google policy about using company gmail accounts on mobile devices. It simply forces users that uses google play services with company accounts to use screen lock. A notification appears saying "account needs action" , it asks login credentials and make you define a screen lock method.

If you don't take action about this account, Google signs you out and as we observed in our games Unity IAP module neither initialize nor fails to initialize (IStoreListener's implemented methods OnInitialized or OnInitializeFailed methods are not called). So we cant fetch product infos from controller. It prevents our users from making purchases.

Is there a planned development or suggested workaround for this. Maybe a new InitializationFailureReason could be introduced. If we get a valid failure reason for this specific case we may show users an appropriate message about the issue, we can direct them to take action about their account and retry purchases.

32. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

The returned failure reasons are from Google. None of the requests go through any Unity servers, the transaction go directly from the device to the respective stores, we are only a pass-through service. Are you able to reproduce and provide device logs? It would help our investigation. What you describe does makes sense, you might expect a "UserCancelled" event in such a case.

LLIeFs likes this.
  33. MarcoPixion

MarcoPixion

Hello. I am experiencing issues with IAP Initialization too.

I am implementing this in our framework as a test, and I am using the codeless configuration (as a start).

The initialization method is called correctly, internally, and I didn't have to extend it from any interface (yet) but it keeps on failing because the only product that I am testing is not available.
    Unavailable product [my_product_id] - [my_product_id_android_override]

This causes the IAP initialization to fail with the following message:
    Purchasing failed to initialize. Reason: NoProductsAvailable

1) The only product (consumable) is correclty inserted in the IAP Catalog
    2) The override ids for GooglePly and Apple Appstore are matching the products in the respective stores (they are also both consumable)

I tried this with both a signed and unsigned apk, and the result is always the same.
    Finally, I am using a tester account and the build is in internal test track, on Google Play Console.

Am I missing anything, here?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  34. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Please provide the device logs, and a screen shot of your products as defined in your product catalog and on the Google dashboard. There is no need to use any overrides, I never do. I keep my product names the same across the stores ( like "Gold50"). Please try without first. https://forum.unity.com/threads/how-to-capturing-device-logs-on-android.528680/

35. MarcoPixion

MarcoPixion

Thank you for your reply.

I already tried without overrides and the result is the same: the product is not found (same error log in the same position).

I hope this will be useful.

Attached Files:

36. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

As shown, it would not be expected to work. Don't use the overrides, and then provide the device logs also as requested. What Android device are you testing on? (not an emulator). Also your test users MUST install via the test download link from Google Play, or via TestFlight, the first time. Subsequently you can side load (install directly)

37. MarcoPixion

MarcoPixion

We are testing on several devices (Pixel, Samsung Galaxy S8, S9, iPhone X, the list goes on...) and the same problem happens on all of them.

What is wrong with the log?

I will try with no overrides (even if, as I said, I already experienced the same behaviour) and will send more screenshots.

I will try to download the app from the link for the first time, on Android, but why is that the same behaviour on iOS and how to fix that eventually?

38. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

There is nothing wrong with the log, now that you've added it to the post. Thank you. You can see in the log that it shows iap_test_product_android. If you change a product name, you need create a new release. And not clear on your mention of an eventual fix, that is Google and Apple behavior that we have no control over. And I trust that you are not using your developer account for testing, but a tester account with the device configured with that user as a Device Profile (not just an account on the phone). Usually you need to do a factory reset to do so. Make sure this user is the one that is logged into Google Play on this device.

39. MarcoPixion

MarcoPixion

Thank you for your feedback.

If I may, I have some extra questions:

1) I will create a new signed build with the id without using overrides.
    Why are the overrides an issue though? The documentation doens't say that we shouldn't use them.

2) I will add that build to alpha (instead of internal testing), to be able to download the app the first time from Google PlayStore, and from that moment I will be able to install the app manually, from my build machine.
    For that I will have to wait a couple of days to be published, though. Correct?

3) I will use a tester account (from the tester list of the release, on Google Play Console) which is also not a developer.
    Is it an issue if the tester account is also a developer?

4) I will log in the same user in the phone and in Google Play.
    I don't understand why/when a "factory reset" is necessary for this, though. Could you clarify, please?

At the end of the process I will send you more screenshots.

Do you think this approach is enough to identify/fix the issue? And if not, what else should I do or not do?

My question about iOS was related to the fact, that all the steps above are related to Android, and not iOS, so, since I am trying to solve the exact same issue on iOS, I am unsure what steps I will have to take to identify/fix the issue on that platform, if it makes sense?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  40. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

@MarcoPixion
    1) It is ok to use overrides, just not necessary. When implementing something new, it's best to keep it as simple as possible
    2) There is no wait. After you upload a new Beta release, it's generally available for tester download in a few minutes
    3) A tester account is any account, separate from your Google Play developer account. To be clear, it's not actually another person, it's another email account that YOU create and use yourself.
    4) It varies from phone to phone. Some versions of Android allow you to switch users on a device. Others require you to reset the phone, for security, since you will have an actual credit card associated with the account. I was just making the point that adding another EMAIL account on the phone is not sufficient. You need another USER (profile) account.

Release first Android, it's easier than iOS. The original post on this thread is regarding Google.

41. MarcoPixion

MarcoPixion

Getting closer.
    Initialization now works after downloading the alpha build form Google Play Store.
    Thank you.

I am also able to retrieve the produyct's informations in the IAP button, but as soon as I press it, I get the following error:

MissingMethodException: bool UnityEngine.VR.VRSettings.get_enabled()
    (please find the log attached.)

This is weird, the XR package was removed, and the app is not configured for VR/AR.

Can you support us on this issue, please?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  42. SamOYUnity3D

SamOYUnity3D

Unity Technologies

Hello, this is a known issue, please kindly go to this thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/cannot-get-iap-to-work-on-android-devices.542145/

43. MarcoPixion

MarcoPixion

Thank you.

I tried with the provided steps in the links, though, but I am experiencing the exact same situation.

The new fresh import worked fine and I confirmed that I did a backup so everything looked exactly as it should have been, but the same problem happened anyway.

44. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

If you are receiving the VR error, then IAP would not be expected to work. Please see the video from the sample project, and confirm where you start to see something different. Please don't use Unity 2019, use 2018 or 2017. There are ways to make it work with Unity 2019, but not advised for a beginner.

45. MarcoPixion

MarcoPixion

Oh, I understand.

That is unfortunate.
    We can't regress to Unity 2018 anymore since our CI flow is establish for 2019, and a tech test of our game is live.

Everything works correctly on iOS now, but keeps on failing on Android.

Could you please tell us when do you think the IAP plugin will be fixed for Unity 2019.1 (not beta)?

Finally, I have been using Unity for almost 10 years now, so I am sure I can handle ways to fix it, if you bring me in the right direction.

Thank you.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  46. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Please see the sticky post on this forum Issues with Unity 2019, there are ways to make it work. But first please respond to my suggestion previously, and describe the differences you see when you import and test with the sample project.

47. MarcoPixion

MarcoPixion

I opened the project at this link (for some reason I am not allowed to add a link as it says that it might be spam).

(I am assuming this is the right one, as it was the first hit in the forums. If not, please let me know the right one) and after some tries I was able to build it on my device (Unity crashed once in the process).

Anyway, the same problem happened after pressing the "Gold" button (please find log attached):
    MissingMethodException: bool UnityEngine.VR.VRSettings.get_enabled()

Does this answer your question?

As for the sticky post about the issues with Unty 2019, a link would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

Attached Files:

48. MarcoPixion

MarcoPixion

Fyi, I might have found the link (I am still unable to paste links here, for that "spam" reason): I did all the steps there (including using IAP package 1.,22 from the store) but the error happens to still be the same.

Please find the log attached.

Attached Files:

49. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

You have not described the differences between your steps and those in the video that I have requested. I'm posting the link there, I don't get any spam warning https://forum.unity.com/threads/sample-iap-project.529555/

50. MarcoPixion

MarcoPixion

I was talking about the "issue with Unity 2019" link (which I cannot send to you because [see screenshot attacked]):

you suggest getting IAP 1.22 package from the Asset Store, but that produces the same error (with the same log)

Attached Files: