Search Unity

Unity Hub would like to access your Photos

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by User340, Jan 4, 2019.

1. User340

User340

I have received a warning popup stating that Unity Hub would like to access my Photos. Why does it need this access? Please see attachment for more details. Thanks Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 6.25.16 PM.png

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Did you check your computer for viruses?

Do you use packages that need to access your photos?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2019
  3. User340

User340

No.

No

Has anyone else experienced this? Also, apparently Unity Hub has requested access to my Contacts and Camera.

4. MechEthan

MechEthan

Yes, I have -- it's requested access to Photos and Microphone for me -- both of which we use in our app being developed in Unity.

I believe it's because Unity Hub is the Parent Process for the Unity Editor instances running, and so permissions for Photos or Microphone in your project would be tied to Unity Hub:
    upload_2019-1-4_11-28-11.png

The reason you've never seen this BEFORE, with say, pre-Unity Hub, is because macOS Mojave just recently added these permissions.

system-idle and User340 like this.
  5. User340

User340

I didn't know there was such a thing as Parent Process. Thanks for the info @Ethan_VisualVocal.

6. MechEthan

MechEthan

You bet. It should be added to an FAQ, because its really not obvious.

@joeksy @Charles_Beauchemin May I suggest a pinned FAQ post?
    Starting content:
    • <Link to Critical Known Issues> (Please?)
    • Bug report guidelines (e.g. what version, what OS, attach logs snippet)
    • Log file locations:
      • Windows: %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\UnityHub\logs
      • Mac: ~/Library/Application support/UnityHub/logs
    • macOS Mojave will prompt you to give Unity Hub various access permissions because it is the parent process of your Unity editor projects that use those permissions.
    • Unity Hub is optional, you can always launch Unity with command-line arguments: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/CommandLineArguments.html
    • Yes, we plan to add a "Release Notes" button next to each Unity version. (This could be its own pinned topic! lol)
    • etc.
    (Also, the "Hub Preview Documentation" is way out of date.)

charlesb_rm likes this.
  7. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

very good idea! we'll do this.

MechEthan likes this.
  8. system-idle

system-idle

OMG! Thank you Ethan_VisualVocal for clearing this up.
    Couldn't understand why my Unity project was hanging on Play after updating OS to Mojave! I wasn't getting the request from Unity Hub so Unity was just hanging. Only after I ran a demo scene did Unity Hub ask for permissions. Now my scene runs as expected.

This really needs to be made common knowledge.

Thanks again Ethan_VisualVocal. Legend!

MechEthan likes this.
  9. system-idle

system-idle

Hey @Ethan_VisualVocal is there any way to force/manually set Unity Hub permissions?
    I'm still not getting asked permissions when running my Unity projects, so Unity just hangs and a have to force quit.

Also where is the window showing Unity Hub is the Parent Process you have a screenshot of?

TimeWalk-org likes this.
  10. MechEthan

MechEthan

Not that I know of, but: You may have accidentally caused a permission to get declined, in which case it won't ask again and will result in Unity just hanging like you describe.

Review your permissions under macOS "System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy" and enable any for Unity Hub that are disabled:
    upload_2019-10-10_14-20-0.png

It's called "Activity Monitor" -- press the ( i ) button to get that dialog for your selected process.
    upload_2019-10-10_14-25-13.png

11. TimeWalk-org

TimeWalk-org

I am having the same problem. Unity Hub is not asking for microphone permissions, nor is the Unity editor, despite the fact that I am using the microphone in an app. Unity and Unity Hub do not appear in the "System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy" dialog, so there is no way to fix this. Do I have to re-install Unity from scratch? Any workaround?

12. MechEthan

MechEthan

@TimeWalk-org Yuck, I'm out of ideas. What macOS version are you running? Also: definitely, definitely file a bug report through the Unity Hub "Report a bug" tool, found under your account dropdown menu in the upper right.

@Charles_Beauchemin Any chance the "not asking for mic permissions on macOS" is a known bug?

13. mischa2k

mischa2k

Unity Hub just tried to access my Downloads & Desktop, that was concerning.

but turns out it was because I dropped in a blender file, it opens blender, which then tries to access my desktop+downloads (I never opened it before).

... just in case this freaks someone else out in the future :)